Debugging Addon Install

I have a bug in an addon I've been working on thats preventing it from installing. The install process hides any errors and I don't see anything in the php error log.

Anyone have ideas on how to see errors during the addon installation process?

I have a bug in an addon I've been working on thats preventing it from installing. The install process hides any errors and I don't see anything in the php error log.

PHP error log should contains errors if any. Are you sure that the module was installed with errors?

And SQL errors should be reported in a notification. Sometimes this can be hard to figure out. Suggest you comment out any queries you have in addon.xml and see if it installs without them. Then use the brute force approach to adding queries till you find the failure.

Any XML syntax error should be reported both in the php error_log file and a notification. Make sure you have error_reporting(E_ALL) set in config.local.php.

IF you use linux you could just start up an SSH client and tail the error log by using:

sudo tail -f /var/log/nginx/error.log

This will automatically output any php errors generated (including the line number and the error type).

Given that a lot of the addon installation is ajax based, you can also use your browser's inspector to look at the request/response data. Many times it shows errors that are thrown (like Smarty errors) that are not part of PHP's error reporting nor Apache (or other web servers) errors.

Thanks for the responses guys. It was a real bear to debug. Ended up being an error in the func.php file that caused it not to load. That error kept getting hidden though.

Should have shown in your PHP error_log