Database Over 100mb?

Hi Everyone,

What is the normal size databases for you folks with busier sites? We have over 1400 products, over 600 customers, and over 800 orders, and our backups are now over 100mb. Our database looks close to 60mb, and that was after we optimized it.

Don’t want to get caught with too big of a database and the site crashed. :slight_smile:

Milezone

Move images to the file system if you’re still with 1.3.x!

Remove the oldest Statistics

Go to CPanel on your server if you have one, select Databases → Check and then Repair. Go back and check the size

If with version 2:

Remove the oldest Statistics or even disable it

Go to the Database maintanance and opimize it.

Check the size and let us know.

I think the size depends more on the size of descriptions of the items, the amount of the HTML code. Everything else is small enough in comparison. So, the size will depend some on the amount of the items but also, dramatically, will depend on how much description is included for each product.

So many people worry about MySQL and db size. I did too once. Then I found out MySQL is pretty durable. I’ve run a 200gig db with 500,000,000 records and it ran pretty damn fast. Though I needed to do a whole lot of optimization and innodb had a 8gb buffer pool. Even on a shared server I wouldn’t worry too much about that at your size. Now I find it amusing when someone talks about a ‘huge’ db with only 100,000 records. All about perspective.

Yeap, bigger the database, longer it takes the hackers to download it. Make them sweat a little… :wink:

Thanks guys for the tips. I am running the newest version, and there is no slow down or anything like that. I just wanted to make sure it was ok and “normal”.

But just for sh*ts and giggles I went ahead and cleared the stats, and the database went from 103mb to 30mb, so that sure cleared allot.

Milezone

[quote name=‘milezone’]Thanks guys for the tips. I am running the newest version, and there is no slow down or anything like that. I just wanted to make sure it was ok and “normal”.

But just for sh*ts and giggles I went ahead and cleared the stats, and the database went from 103mb to 30mb, so that sure cleared allot.

Milezone[/QUOTE]

The statistics definitely take up a lot of database space relatively speaking. Sessions are probably up there also for busy sites, but they are auto cleared based on time and are of course a key part of the carts operation.

We should be able to clear the statistics by date so you could view, for instance, just the past 30 days.

Bob

My database can get rather large. Right now it is 125 MB but before my last upgrade it was over 300 MB, I think. The sessions table does add a lot to it. I have statistics turned off.

Current database size: 759,470,595 bytes on 1 35 crashs every 6 months or so if i forget to optimise