Database from1.3.4sp3 to current 2.0x

Is it possible to export a database from1.3.4sp3 to current 2.06 (or whatever the current version is) with the script that has been provided by CS cart?

I would basically need all photos - categories - and product descriptions.

Also how long should the export of the database take including small database adjustments as needed

Traveler,

You need to upgrade to 1.3.4sp3 to 1.3.5sp4 to 2.0.6

If you need professional services let me know, I’ll forewarn you however that it’s not a pretty process and you need to have a very stable and generous server if you have large images.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Traveler,

You need to upgrade to 1.3.4sp3 to 1.3.5sp4 to 2.0.6

If you need professional services let me know, I’ll forewarn you however that it’s not a pretty process and you need to have a very stable and generous server if you have large images.[/QUOTE]

Jesse,

Thank you for the information.

I wonder how hard it would be to go directly from 1.3.4sp3 to 2.0.6 without using the CS cart script? Just a straight forward database export/import?

Images are not too large and only a few hundred roughly.

Hmm - what do you consider a large image?

[quote name=‘Traveler’]I wonder how hard it would be to go directly from 1.3.4sp3 to 2.0.6 without using the CS cart script? Just a straight forward database export/import?[/QUOTE]

There are too many differences in the database to try and do it manually. I am not sure why large images would be an issue but you should certainly give the update script a try before anything else.

You can do the database upgrades but must be meticulous about it.

You need to start by making a copy of your database using export/import. For each upgrade, you need to:

1. extract the database.sql and post_upgrade.php files from the upgrade zip;
  2. run the SQL queries contained in database.sql using your database tool (e.g., phpMyAdmin);
  3. copy post_upgrade.php to the root of your CS-Cart installation:
  4. run post_upgrade.php by using the the address [url]yourdomain.com

You will need to do the above steps for each upgrade up to 1.3.5-sp4. Look for upgrades that jump more than one release (e.g., 1.3.4 SP3 to 1.3.5 SP4) to save time. Make sure you have no errors as these will likely lead to problems in the future. You will save a little time with this approach but you need to be careful that you do everything in order and resolve any issues that arise - you can search the forum for previously reported issues or can ask for help here.

Once you are at 1.3.5-sp4, you can use the upgrade script to 2.0.6.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.

In the end it seems that it is not so technically difficult but a very detailed project with many small steps…

Let Jesse do it, it will be a cleaner install and not his first one so if something does go wrong which will happen there are to many files he would know what to d quickly as if you do it you may get stuck halfway then restore over and over

[quote name=‘Traveler’]Jesse,

Thank you for the information.

I wonder how hard it would be to go directly from 1.3.4sp3 to 2.0.6 without using the CS cart script? Just a straight forward database export/import?

Images are not too large and only a few hundred roughly.

Hmm - what do you consider a large image?[/quote]

I wouldn’t even bother to try Traveler, I’ve done a partial database sync for kbmotorsports this week prior and I’ll tell you that it was a nightmare.

Not only were some database tables duplicated, corrupted or even missing but I also had to move the database to 2.0.6

That being said, manual is not the best way to go as you’ll find more tables are in less places requiring tables to be dropped, merged, or created.

While CS-Carts script does create, move and merge tables it also “recreates” the product images.

Basically you need to move ALL IMAGES into the database (hundred megabytes + database size) the run the conversion script. KBMotorsports were hosting with godaddy and the upgrade was impossible due to godaddys very small php overheads. So long as your host doesn’t mind 100% CPU usage for about 5 minutes (Cs-Cart upgrade script) then you shouldn’t even bother.

What I classify a large image? I dont’ classify a large image however 100kb+ is on the “oh ****” scale due to database weight. That said KBM had a 130MB database before the upgrade. So if you’ve already got a “Few hundrew” you can only guess what the DB size is going to be.

If you do want assistance upgrading be sure to let me know but it’s not an easy exercise for established stores. So far to date I have upgraded www.kettlecare.com (10 Hours) & www.kbmotorsportsonline.com (20 hours)

The hours were both a learning experience whereas kbm were moved to CyberLNC to handle hosting from this point forward.

Jesse

Interesting information - thank you. I shall have to check with my host about any limits I have. Although I have a VPS account at Wired Tree which is a solid company nothing like GoDaddy - who are only good for domain registrations.

[quote name=‘Traveler’]Interesting information - thank you. I shall have to check with my host about any limits I have. Although I have a VPS account at Wired Tree which is a solid company nothing like GoDaddy - who are only good for domain registrations.[/quote]

If you’ve got a VPS there is a possibility that you can be also limited by neighbour traffic / usage on the server. Being blunt here, the only way to work out if you can upgrade is actually try :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]If you’ve got a VPS there is a possibility that you can be also limited by neighbour traffic / usage on the server. Being blunt here, the only way to work out if you can upgrade is actually try :)[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

I think that the server load is quite light on my server - perhaps 25 other accounts - so I should be ok.