Custom category page

Hi,

I am testing out the trial version to decide if we move our sites from Magento to CS-Cart, and so far I am very pleased with it, although customizing is quite a bit different than on Magento.

I have a couple of questions regarding customization which I will be posting individually. The first one would be, is there a way to have a block with featured items, best sellers, and newest products per category so I can have a custom category page with this blocks. If someone has a link to a working example, that would be great.

Related to this question, is there a way to list products of subcategories on the main category page as right now I only get the category description text and the subcategories links with no products listed.

Thanks and hope to be around the main forums soon.

[quote name=‘locom’]

I have a couple of questions regarding customization which I will be posting individually. The first one would be, is there a way to have a block with featured items, best sellers, and newest products per category so I can have a custom category page with this blocks. If someone has a link to a working example, that would be great.

[/quote]

I haven’t experimented with this yet, but I think you can. There is a blocks tab when you edit a category and I assume that’s what it’s for.

[quote]

Related to this question, is there a way to list products of subcategories on the main category page as right now I only get the category description text and the subcategories links with no products listed.

[/QUOTE]

If I understand your ? correctly, yes, there is a setting in the admin:

“Show products from subcategories of the selected category”

ogia,

Thanks for the reply. I have used the custom block but haven’t managed to list the newest items on the parent category for the child categories’ items.

What I am trying to accomplish is build a custom category page which lists newest, featured and best sellers of all the child categories.

I am able to display the “Recently Added” block I created on other parts of the site, however I can’t seem to get it to display as a category. I can make a page that displays the 100 most recent items but not a category. Is this a limitation of categories, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Andrew