Currency Updates

I don't see any documentation on how to have the currency exchange rates automatically updated presumable, via cron. Does the current version have this function? I saw a few mods in this forum, just assumed that by now it would be a feature.

Thanks.

Hello novista,

Unfortunately, there is no such a feature in a standard CS-Cart installation. But I advise you to try using the “Update currencies” add-on:New addon "Currencies updates" is available for testing - Upcoming features - CS-Cart Community Forums .

Anastasiya Kozlova

CS-Cart Support Team

Anastasiya,

The currency exchange rate update addon in the Labs forums does not appear to be working with the latest release. I think CS-Cart is making a big mistake by not having this addon included with the cart. By allowing multiple currencies and multiple languages, CS-Cart is clearly saying it is an international platform. Not having exchanges rates automatically updated seems more like an over-site or a contradiction in the intention of this platform. All the other carts I have evaluated had this feature. For something relatively minor in scope, CS-Cart could and should either fix this addon or release your own.

I want to reiterate that this is not something that should be left to the Ideas forum. Having automatic exchange rates updates is not just a good idea, it is necessary for the smooth operation of an international store and should be included as one of the international features of this product.

Thanks.

[quote name='novista' timestamp='1313968807' post='120023']

Anastasiya,

The currency exchange rate update addon in the Labs forums does not appear to be working with the latest release. I think CS-Cart is making a big mistake by not having this addon included with the cart. By allowing multiple currencies and multiple languages, CS-Cart is clearly saying it is an international platform. Not having exchanges rates automatically updated seems more like an over-site or a contradiction in the intention of this platform. All the other carts I have evaluated had this feature. For something relatively minor in scope, CS-Cart could and should either fix this addon or release your own.

I want to reiterate that this is not something that should be left to the Ideas forum. Having automatic exchange rates updates is not just a good idea, it is necessary for the smooth operation of an international store and should be included as one of the international features of this product.

Thanks.

[/quote]

Agree - it is ridiculous it doesn't have this.

[quote name='autotronics' timestamp='1314089622' post='120117']

Agree - it is ridiculous it doesn't have this.

[/quote]

There may be a reason for this… for some reason my webshop didn't load within 30 seconds for first time visitors. I didn't know this for many weeks, because I didn't see it myself. I didn't understand the drop in orders at first and only then I started searching for answers. It needed many emails with the ISP and CS-Cart to find out to cause, and I was thinking 'CS or the ISP must have done something strange.' Not so.

My guess is that having an active live currency check every time the shop is openened, this may work fine for a while. But when something changes, like a third party website altering its link to the live currency check, then you won't know for some time. Then the shop waits 30 seconds for the website to respond, and then continues loading.

I'm convinced that a cron job checking once a day is a much better solution, to prevent this.

[quote name='Wim Roskam' timestamp='1316595080' post='122027']

I'm convinced that a cron job checking once a day is a much better solution, to prevent this.

[/quote]

I absolutely agree. One check at midnight (*), (time set in options for the cronjob) would be a great solution.

( * for me around midnight would be the best time)

I agree, it is a vital function to an international webshop.