Cs-Cart Performance

We've had our ServInt folks take a look at our site to see why there's such a lag to the first byte. And they are now pointing their finger at CS-Cart… can someone help us?

-------------------------- This is what they came back with -------------------------

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]My reports show:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_namelookup: 0.569[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_connect: 0.572[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_appconnect: 0.000[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_pretransfer: 0.572[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_redirect: 0.000[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_starttransfer: 2.099[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]----------[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]time_total: 2.144[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]starttransfer is the Time to First Byte as you've already determined. The causes for this can range from memory leaks, poor coding, slow queries, or lack or resources. I've tried optimizing MySQL using mysqltuner.pl, but it didn't help, and the memory and lack of resources are certainly not a problem on SolidFire. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]This leads me to believe that something in your site's configuration or coding is causing a delay when the server goes to retrieve all of the resources necessary to send to the visitor.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]Most of the time, it's a plugin or addon that is poorly coded and causes the server to generate a cache of sorts for every visit. Caching problems like this are common in my experience with CMS software. What happens if it's working properly is that the cached files are generated upon the first visit, then those same files are then served to all other visitors after that initial request. The initial request can be slow because it's doing more than collecting, it's creating the cache files. What I suggest checking on your end is whether those cache files are being generated each and every time someone visits the site, instead of already existing files being served.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]From my research, this seems to be the case:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]root@server [/home/hairsmiz/public_html/var/cache]# find ./* -type f -newermt “10 seconds ago” -exec ls -alht {} ;-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nobody 123K Feb 19 09:37 ./misc/statics/js/tygh/scripts-9dc0b275302b6592ecdf5a3967686ecb1392806559.js.gz[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nobody 51K Feb 19 09:37 ./misc/statics/design/themes/basic/css/standalone.da1a42e4072ac28d1f939a816da4c1841392806559.css.gz[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nobody 273K Feb 19 09:37 ./misc/1/theme_editor/standalone.da1a42e4072ac28d1f939a816da4c1841392806559.css[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]The above shows that within the /var/cache folder every time I visit the page, I get the following files generated instead of it serving me the already existing files.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]You will need to contact the software developer at this point and report my findings. They should be able to make sure the caching plugin or feature in the software is configured properly or suggest a way to fix it.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]------[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]xxxxxxxxx[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=2]ServInt MST[/size][/font][/color]

We exhausted all options… tried different tweaks and modules… and the easiest thing was to throw more money at it… upgraded out VPS package. Above findings are not very meaningful to us with our limited knowledge… can someone translate it for us? Our site is at http://www.hairsmize.com (sitting behind cloudflare)

Im having the exact same problem. V3.0.6 my host sorted it last year and it went very well, but had a couple of server issues a few weeks ago after that the speed dropped and lagged , upgraded the VPs to more spec and although certain peak traffic problems have gone the initial lag is still there. They are looking again as they did get rid of this problem last year but since it appeared again it hasnt been really fixed. The server itself is well over spec for what is needed so the cart or mods cant be ruled out yet.

I will post here if they answer anything useful

John

Hairsmize. Check you setting for “automatically monitor cache creation” in your themes area. Those files should be created once.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1392837655' post='177838']

Hairsmize. Check you setting for “automatically monitor cache creation” in your themes area. Those files should be created once.

[/quote]

Can you help me understand what this does? I can't seem to find this setting in the themes area. What do you mean by “Those files should be created once”?

Sorry… Working from memory and it's not so good!

It's on the template editor page. Left side, Rebuild cache automaticall on/off. Should be off.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1392844537' post='177844']

It's on the template editor page. Left side, Rebuild cache automaticall on/off. Should be off.

[/quote]

Yes… I've disabled this. But it turns back on occasionally. Somewhat annoying.

And that is a bug. No one from cs-cart has identified how to fix it yet. Not sure if it's fixed in the next release or remains…

[color=“#696969”]tbirnseth[/color]

The bug fix is here on page 2

http://forum.cs-cart…itself-on-v402/

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1392844537' post='177844']

[/quote]

Can you think of anything else that may slow our TTFB numbers? Our databases are all set to MYISAM on mysql 5.1. Do you think that can the cause?

It may depend on which version of 4 you are on. I thought there was someone who was saying 4.1.? does better than 4.0.?

There are about 40,000 factors that could result in a performance issue on any given site.

Too broad a question to answer.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’ timestamp=‘1392949447’ post=‘177910’]

about 40,000 factors that could result in a performance issue

[/quote]

Tony, Ive told you a million times do not exagerrate :grin:

:-)

And I thought I was pulling my hair out (oops, none left)!