CS Cart Not IE10 / Windows 8 Friendly?

Hi Guys!

We’ve been having great success since making the jump from Interspire to CS Cart in February of this year, a few bugs here and there but nothing major!

The other day though, we got quite an interesting email from a customer running Windows 8 and IE10 who was unable to keep anythings in his cart, register for an account, or get a shipping quote from our site! I’ve been emailing back and forth since then and he was able to use our site perfectly fine on a Windows Vista machine with IE7…

so I guess the big question is: Would IE10 or Windows 8 cause any sort of issues with a standard CS Cart installation? Aside from the CSS, we haven’t made any major template modifications that I could see causing issues like this.

Thanks in advance for the assistance guys! :)

could be that he's got cookies turned off?

[quote name=‘Flow’ timestamp=‘1369493935’ post=‘162403’]

could be that he’s got cookies turned off?

[/quote]

Hi Flow,

Yes, I was thinking something along the lines of personal settings (antivirus, cookies, Javascript disabled, etc) as well, I just wanted to see if there were any known issues with Windows 8 or IE10 before I try to convince our dear customer of this… :)

I gave up on stuff like this. Every now & then there's just a customer who has problems. We have this with all browsers and all OS's. At first I investigated but the amount is negligible and lately I just advice to install a new browser. The problem is not cs-cart.

In most cases its a matter of a user installing a zillion free toolbars into their browser or having their firewall and privacy settings overly restrictive. This generally occurs with IE users, as non-power users use IE.

I think this is a BIG flaw in cs-cart. I have clients using version 1.35, 2.25 and 3.06 and all get constant complaints from customers (at least two to three calls a day).

I don't know if we're dealing with server glitches, database glitches, cart code glitches, browser incompatibilities, gremlins, or just lots of operator error.

These are some of the common complaints we get: (once again these types of problems occur in all versions of cs-cart)

Some people complain that no matter what they type in they can't get past the security code (“Type the characters you see in the picture below.”).

Some people complain that after they type in their address and hit the Next Step button it erases all their address information and won't let them continue. If they enter the information again it does the same thing.

Some people complain that it won't accept any of their credit card numbers even though they know the cards are good.

Some people complain that it is so slow that their browser times out waiting for the next checkout step to load.

Some people complain the cart empties automatically when they try and view it.

[color=#ff0000]Unfortunately this is life with cs-cart until the developers realize a shopping cart and an online web store need to satisfy ALL customers and configurations!!![/color]

Triplets,

Have you confirmed that the listed flaws are unique to CS-Cart and never happens to any other cart? Would be interesting to know this.

I have had some of the experiences you describe with other carts and other sites I need to log in. In some cases I had to change the browser and then no problems.

I find it amazing that there are not more problems. With all the different versions of browsers that are constantly changing and creating default security settings that impact carts, how does developers keep up with all the changes?

I had customers also reporting some difficulties. Sometimes its user error, especially with PayPal.( Going to PayPal, clicking back button and other keystroke combinations). I just go on myself and complete or initiate the order and don't have problems. I try different browsers and don't have problems. I think a lot has to do with what P-Pharma said.

Bob

We didn't have any problems in the old cart I was using, but it didn't use all this jquery stuff.

I have added the following to our index.tpl (it shows a message if one has javascript disabled), it has cut down some of the calls:

```php

Please enable Javascript so that our shopping cart will function correctly on your computer before ordering anything from our web site.

For Internet Explorer, please follow the instructions at
http://www.yoursite.com/trustedsite.html

to add our website to your Trusted Sites list. For Javascript help in other browsers visit here.

```

and have commented out this line in config.php

```php
//define('SESS_VALIDATE_UA', true); // link session ID with user-agent
```

this has reduced some more of the calls, but my clients say they still get several calls a day about cart problems.

[quote name='Triplets' timestamp='1369516452' post='162409']

I think this is a BIG flaw in cs-cart. I have clients using version 1.35, 2.25 and 3.06 and all get constant complaints from customers (at least two to three calls a day).

[/quote]

Wow… I don't have all these issues to be honest. We get maybe 10 calls a month (with between 500 and 1500 visitors a day), most of the time about a discount code not working (because the user copied and pasted an extra space, in 98% of the cases).

Concerning the captcha: this is a timeout problem. After a while the code times out (without warning) and doesn't work anymore. Increasing time solved this for us.

Concerning payment: we have this too, but I think this has to do with the PSP more than cs-cart. We sometimes have refused creditcards that don't work in one psp but do in the other. Mostly it's customers who order from a strange country (they are on holiday), use a credit card from a foreign country and have goods delivered at a friend, and so on. We asked our PSP and got a complete list for Q1 2013 with why some orders were refused, and it was all with good reason (even though I would have rather had their business - the orders were all legit).

Cart emptying I only know for sure we got this once and switching browser (from firefox to chrome) solved this. I'm sure user had cookies turned off or something like that.

[quote name='Triplets' timestamp='1369516452' post='162409']

Some people complain that no matter what they type in they can't get past the security code (“Type the characters you see in the picture below.”).[/quote]

For some strange reason the captha always fails for me on the first try. I am using windows 7 and Firefox though.

I had to stop using IE for admnistration after MS pushed out the upgrade to IE10.

I can't see any of the content in the product's description form fields in IE10 - no matter which WYSIWYG editor I assign. The field is just grey and the Source button doesn't work.

Since IE10 was deployed, I have had to assign Firefox as my default browser for everything. (Running Windows7).

I reported (with screenshot) this in the Bug Tracker on May 1st:

http://forum.cs-cart.com/tracker/issue-3900-wysiwig-error-in-ie-10/

So far there has been no response from support.

Wow, I’m glad to hear we’re not alone! But we haven’t had as many of these issues either, so I guess we’re lucky… but I agree with everything said above; changing browsers usually remedies most issues, and IE is always notoriously bad for getting stuff with plugins and extra toolbars that could also hinder the functionality of our cart.

I will relay these comments to our customer and see if perhaps he can’t simply switch from IE10… :)

[quote name=‘P-Pharma’ timestamp=‘1369567426’ post=‘162436’]

For some strange reason the captha always fails for me on the first try. I am using windows 7 and Firefox though.

[/quote]

[quote name=‘Magpie Don’ timestamp=‘1369580423’ post=‘162444’]

I had to stop using IE for admnistration after MS pushed out the upgrade to IE10.

I can’t see any of the content in the product’s description form fields in IE10 - no matter which WYSIWYG editor I assign. The field is just grey and the Source button doesn’t work.

Since IE10 was deployed, I have had to assign Firefox as my default browser for everything. (Running Windows7).

I reported (with screenshot) this in the Bug Tracker on May 1st:

http://forum.cs-cart…error-in-ie-10/

So far there has been no response from support.

[/quote]

[quote name=‘DRodrigues’ timestamp=‘1369659395’ post=‘162495’]

Wow, I’m glad to hear we’re not alone! But we haven’t had as many of these issues either, so I guess we’re lucky… but I agree with everything said above; changing browsers usually remedies most issues, and IE is always notoriously bad for getting stuff with plugins and extra toolbars that could also hinder the functionality of our cart.

I will relay these comments to our customer and see if perhaps he can’t simply switch from IE10… :)

[/quote]

correct - known issue among our IT team that the Captcha fails at first go. Especially on reviews being posted as guests.

Had more than a few pissed off people wanting to leave us 3000 word essays on how good the product is to have it ‘disappear’ in 2 seconds.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’ timestamp=‘1369662115’ post=‘162499’]

correct - known issue among our IT team that the Captcha fails at first go. Especially on reviews being posted as guests.

Had more than a few pissed off people wanting to leave us 3000 word essays on how good the product is to have it ‘disappear’ in 2 seconds.

[/quote]

We changed some code so that the store remembers the review so they don’t loose their essay :)

Most commonly this data loss is a result of the user-agent changing during the session. Almost all new browsers and mobile devices allow the user to change the user-agent on the fly and many browsers try to detect “the best” user agent to use for displaying a particular page. IE seems to do this the most. As an example, if you're running IE9 and IE thinks the page would display better if it told the site it was running IE7 instead, it will change the user-agent sent in the header. I won't even try to guess what they look for, but if the user-agent changes, cs-cart (by default) will zap the current session and start a new one (assumes a session hijack). This causes carts to go away, logged in users to suddenly be logged out and various other things that are dependent on session variables.

To prevent this, add the following to your config.local.php

fn_define('SKIP_SESSION_VALIDATION', true);

and see if the problem goes away for you.

Granted, this does reduce protection against a session hijack attempt, but risk of hijack is probably lower than a bunch of pissed off and confused customers.

You can always back it out if it doesn't help you.

fn_define('SKIP_SESSION_VALIDATION', true);

Results:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function fn_define() in home/x/public_html/config.local.php on line 114

Is this correct?:

define('SKIP_SESSION_VALIDATION', true);

if fn_define(() is not in your version then just do:

if( !defined('SKIP_SESSION_VALIDATION') )
define('SKIP_SESSION_VALIDATION', true);

That's all the fn_define function does.