CS-Cart Edition Changes

[quote name='pbannette' timestamp='1347984526' post='145315']

I think the announcement of the version change was premature. Just enough information to provide controversy and not enough to fully explain the impact (users and add-on developers).

When I first saw the announcement, I thought the new version would be like what I had with Windows7 Home Version. Supposedly, the program also contained Professional. All I did was to purchase a pro Key to “unlock” the Pro functionality. This is what I thought CS-Cart was doing. One program, but functions would be available depending on the license purchased. Upgrade by purchasing an upgrade Key to unlock functionality.

This would make sense to me. I only wanted Pro, so I would just get Pro Functions in the software. If later, if I want Ultimate functionality, I would just by an upgrade key, but no software change would be needed.

Just wondering how every one else is interpreting this.

I am just waiting to get all the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Bob

[/quote]

Bob, I actually think it's exactly like you say it is.

You can for example:

1. start with a free edition
  2. upgrade to ultimate with 1 storefront (formerly known as PRO).
  3. Then add more storefronts for a certain price per storefront

From a customers point of view, this seems like a very good and clear solution.

From a developers point of view, I wonder how this will work in terms of licenses.

Remember this is a community forum and that cs-cart only looks around when they have time.

But anything related to an Edition change should have been done at the major version number and not in a maintenance release.

Ultimate is a different beast than Pro from a developer's perspective.

There is not enough support in current product to license on a domain basis, only on the all or nothing basis.

I've suggested to cs-cart what I think is needed but haven't heard back on my suggestion.

My suggestion was basically to have 2 addon statuses. One that applied to the addon related to all domains (what you see from the addons page). And then a second one that is only available via an API that the addon developer can use which sets the status of an addon on a domain by domain basis. Right now an addon is either active or it's not.

As an example, lets say you have an ultimate config with 10 stores.

You by my XYX addon but only want to use it on 3 stores.

I have no ability to control the addon so I have to charge you based on the max number of stores someone might use or the maximum the market will bear in pricing. Not good for you and not good for me.

There is accommodation for having different addon settings per store, but nothing to allow the addon developer to control what store the addon should be active in and which it shouldn't.

Again, this is just my (one addon developer) perspective. I'm sure there are others who simply don't care and others who may have different needs.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1347991263' post='145331']

Remember this is a community forum and that cs-cart only looks around when they have time.

But anything related to an Edition change should have been done at the major version number and not in a maintenance release.

[/quote]

Sorry, just figured that this was their thread. So it seemed logical that they should update or answer questions.

Likewise, they are the ones that said, “Feel free to join the discussion in this thread…” So this made it sound like they were going to be part of the discussion.

Oops… Oh well, guess sometimes we’re all too busy to look at the details! :-)

My error. Yes, you’d think if they started it, that they’d be active in it. Oh well…

Sorry for keeping it silent for so long guys!

I'd like to clear some things up about the new product line-up.

I've noted that some people just want to have a single storefront and do not want to pay “Ultimate money for Professional functionality” when CS-Cart Professional is discontinued. But one should remember that the future Ultimate will be a slightly different thing than the current one. And the most important of all, it will support single storefront.

Also, the exact prices are not yet set, but will try to keep a single storefront platform an affordable solution.

Also, do not forget about the Free mode. I would like to remind that multi-store functionality will be available under Free mode. So, basically, you will be able to use what now is called Ultimate edition for free, only with some functionality limitations.

Look at it this way and you'll see it is quiet a bargain: instead of one free edition you will have both free single and multi-storefront solutions available.

Easier scalability is also a big advantage of the new line-up. Flow described a very likely expansion scenario in the comment above (CS-Cart Edition Changes - Page 2 - News and Announcements - CS-Cart Community Forums - Page 2). Going multi-store will become much easier.

Well thats good news for starters.

I surely like the free multistore as it can be the appetizer for my customers to full multistore installation, that will be easy as pie !

When will all this be ready? Especially Free mode as it was a great addition to all those free carts like VM opencart etc. and as said was the appetizer for more…

Thanks

Fotis

I’m alittle lost :-( I have the pro now, do I have to upgrade to the Ultimate and pay for it?

[quote name=‘tom437’ timestamp=‘1348708595’ post=‘145846’]

I’m alittle lost :-( I have the pro now, do I have to upgrade to the Ultimate and pay for it?

[/quote]

Your fine, don’t get your panties all tied up in a knot! :-o

If you choose to upgrade in the future, then you will most likely end up with a “single store” version of Ultimate, priced accordingly.

So far, I have not even really looked at or even concidered upgrading to Version 3.x, from everything I have read, upgrade scripts, downgrade scripts, convert this to that scripts, (& then convert it all back to the way it was scripts), looks like opening a major can of worms to me, especially considering I don’t have a current need to run multiple sites managed form the same admin, and 2.2.5 is working perfectly for us! ;-)

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1348709288’ post=‘145847’]

If you choose to upgrade in the future, then you will most likely end up with a “single store” version of Ultimate, priced accordingly.

[/quote]

This is correct, the new product line is not a reason to start worrying.

We are not going to make our beloved clients overpay :-)

Thank you both for clearing that up for me.

What happens if we begin to develop for CS-Cart Ultimate 3.0.3 now but end up needing to port over to the re-built (new product line) version of Ultimate? Will the newly consolidated version of Ultimate be considered a whole new branch?

[quote name='Phoenix' timestamp='1348776863' post='145903']

What happens if we begin to develop for CS-Cart Ultimate 3.0.3 now but end up needing to port over to the re-built (new product line) version of Ultimate? Will the newly consolidated version of Ultimate be considered a whole new branch?

[/quote]

The current Ultimate edition and the future one merged with Professional are going to be quiet close in the ways of architecture, so there is a high chance the add-ons will work just the same. Nonetheless, it is still too early to discuss any actual compatibility issues.

As a developer then, all the more reason to wait for 3.1 and pretend 3.0 never even existed… But then it might take 3-4 releases of 3.1 to get to a production quality and stable version; so it looks like maybe 3.1.4 might be a release that is stable enough to develop against without having to spend uncompensated time re-doing things… Just 2 cents here.

Any news yet on when the next Ultimate/comunity edition will be ready. I have a non profit group needing a same store front to use for selling booths at a craft fair. Or does any one have another simply cart I should use for yearly short term use.

Thanks,

Dave

Its more than 2 months that you have issued article about Edition Changes, which changes all routing of development. We are waitign 2 months for more information, but still we dont know anything more about changes and dates. Changes wiil not effect more users, but some users hasad to stop development and plans. I understand its not a simple proces, but you could inform paying users at least about approx dates of update.

Please can we have an update on the Edition changes please.

I have 2 ecommerce sites to transfer to CS-Cart. Both sites currently use different shopping carts, so migration is going to be a little more trickier, as Cart2Cart cannot do the bulk of the data transfer at all as they don't support the cart in question.

I am unsure whether I should be looking at purchasing 2 x Professional licenses, or 1 x Ultimate license. In any case, I will not need to purchase these licenses until around mid-December, possibly the beginning of 2013.

Suggestions from CS-Cart and timeframes for the expected 'new edition' to be released would be appreciated.

Safest would be to use 1 Ultimate license with your 2 domains.

[quote name=‘kmolchanov’ timestamp=‘1348664193’ post=‘145799’]

Sorry for keeping it silent for so long guys!

[/quote]

Hello,

Your becoming very quite again Konstantin… :-)

Will existing Pro users with upgrade subscription be able to move to ultimate with 1 store front?