CS-Cart 3.0.5 Released

I really hope that CS 3.1 will not cost me a lot of money to get all my addons updated. Updating dozens of addons is quite costly.

Its very nice that CS-Cart can be extended with addons, but if that means that we need to repair all addons several times a year, then that becomes a major problem.

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1358437453' post='153041']

One reason I've been seriously considering ditching CS-Cart for a hosted solution.

[/quote]

Well I wouldn't do that, I mean would you trust your income to a plugin developer or even the cart developer ? I know I wouldn't.

But I do think some people selling plugins are asking a bit much selling the plugin and charging for updates. That would be exceptable if the inital plugin price was a lot lower then the ones I've seen on here. This was a big shock for me as other carts plugins are not so much I've found.

Hmm, wonder where the User Voice votes were to replace the back-end?

[quote]

But I do think some people selling plugins are asking a bit much selling the plugin and charging for updates. That would be exceptable if the inital plugin price was a lot lower then the ones I've seen on here. This was a big shock for me as other carts plugins are not so much I've found.

[/quote]

All about supply and demand. Someone spends 20 hours developing an addon so it's portable within the same major version. They sell it for $50. They sell 10 of them and end up making $25/hr. Then cs-cart decides to do something new that adds no real value but breaks everything. So everything has to be reviewed, re-tested and re-deployed. Now that $25/hr has shrunk to $12/hr. Do you work for that?

Just a developer's perspective… I do good work and try real hard to do things in a fashion where they don't require ongoing maintenance updates for new versions. But no one can predict what's going to change since when a request is made, the user is asked to submit to User Voice but when the development team chooses, no one knows until it arrives our the doorstep.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1358455671' post='153065']

All about supply and demand. Someone spends 20 hours developing an addon so it's portable within the same major version. They sell it for $50. They sell 10 of them and end up making $25/hr. Then cs-cart decides to do something new that adds no real value but breaks everything. So everything has to be reviewed, re-tested and re-deployed. Now that $25/hr has shrunk to $12/hr. Do you work for that?

Just a developer's perspective… I do good work and try real hard to do things in a fashion where they don't require ongoing maintenance updates for new versions. But no one can predict what's going to change since when a request is made, the user is asked to submit to User Voice but when the development team chooses, no one knows until it arrives our the doorstep.

[/quote]

You don't have to explain development or developers to me, I used to manage a team of them for a major utility company. As I see it the problem is not so much the developers but the product. The are far too many updates, a sensible approach would be two streams working - one updates to fix bugs and one working at a longer lead on new versions - they should not be mixed in. csc themselves should issue a version and then only add feature via the plugin base, this way we get a settled environment.

Getting back to the plugins, if the developers are working to selling only ten copies of a plugin, then in my opinion they should get a new job. I don't see why on earth a plugin like the one that updates currencies should be more then around $10-$20. It's $50 but real cost is $100 a year with maintance deals. This is a function you get get for free in most shopping carts.

So what if a plugin sells 100 times ? that $50 plugin turns into $5,000 income for what an hours work ? I would work for that.

Another option might be to create a club, people pay $50 - $100 a year to join your club and they can download any plugin the want - say you had $1000 worth. I suggest that will bring a nice steady income because the are very few people who want to $1000 a year just to maintain their plugins, don't forget they also maintian the base cart too. So what do you want 10 x $1000 a year or 500 x $50 every year. You still get the custom development work too butat your going rate.

I'll repeat not getting at developers just suggesting, especially at these time, the is only so much milk the cow can held.

Remember that feature that disappeared? Suppliers. Where is it?!

UserVoice = “Under development” for Ultimate on November 26th 2012. Looks like everything is being ditched for a pointless new admin skin in 3.1, with no real core functionality updates.

Not sure on the currency update. Here's one I posted for free quite a while ago (see below - it's not very complicated).

There simply isn't the volume here for addon products. There's a lot of talk, but a very small percentage of that end up buying.

I've basically stopped providing free mods/changes because it simply isn't worth the hassle and it rarely leads to other business.

The club thing has been tried (see posts related to snorocket). He got so tired of everybody bitching at him, he just went silent. Granted, he cooked his own goose in many ways, but clubs don't really work because you usually can't get multiple people to agree on anything. But feel free to start a new one. Remember that you're going to deal with international cultures, language issues and other differences between merchants. If you're not highly tuned to consensus management, you will have a tough time.

The currency script I posted is below (and no, it has not been tested recently, I don't use multiple currencies)… So use it at your own risk and it should not be considered “supported”.

```php

/**
** Usage: Use the root of your store as the working directory for CRON
** Use this command line: php ./addons/my_changes/update_currencies.php --pw=
** where is the password used for password reminders in Administration/Settings/Security Settings
**/
define('AREA', 'A');
define('AREA_NAME', 'admin');
if( !file_exists('./prepare.php') )
chdir('../..');
require_once("./prepare.php");
require_once("./init.php");

define("RUN_FROM_CRON", empty($_REQUEST['i']) ? true : false);
define("UPDATE_DB", true);

if( RUN_FROM_CRON ) {
$cron_password = Registry::get('settings.Security.cron_password');
if( !$cron_password )
die('Bad pass');

if ((!isset($_REQUEST['pw']) || $cron_password != $_REQUEST['pw']) ) {
die(fn_get_lang_var('access_denied'));
}
}

define('cur_host', 'www.webservicex.net');
define('cur_url', cur_host."/CurrencyConvertor.asmx/ConversionRate");
define('cur_from', 'FromCurrency=');
define('cur_to', 'ToCurrency=');

function cur_get_rate($cur) {
// $request = cur_url."?".cur_from.$cur."&".cur_to.CART_PRIMARY_CURRENCY;
$request = cur_url."?".cur_to.$cur."&".cur_from.CART_PRIMARY_CURRENCY;
list($header, $response) = fn_http_request('GET', $request);
$v = preg_replace('/.*>([0-9]\.[^<]*).*/is', '$1', $response);
if( is_numeric($v) )
return $v;
return Registry::get('currencies.'.$cur."coefficient");
}

$currencies = Registry::get('currencies');

echo "
";
foreach($currencies as $currency => $data) {
if( $currency == CART_PRIMARY_CURRENCY )
continue;
$old = $data['coefficient'];
$data['coefficient'] = cur_get_rate($currency);
if( UPDATE_DB )
db_query("UPDATE ?:currencies set coefficient=?d WHERE currency_code=?s", $data['coefficient'], $currency);
echo "$currency updated from $old to $data[coefficient]\n";
}
echo "
";
exit;

?>

```

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’ timestamp=‘1358469221’ post=‘153076’]

Not sure on the currency update. Here’s one I posted for free quite a while ago (see below - it’s not very complicated).

Clip->

[/quote]

Thanks for that, I’m sure some will find a use for it and free code is always welcome.

I hope to get my site finished and stocked after 2 years of trying, so I just might call on you to give it a look over before it goes live. I think we might have spoke about that way back in the stone age when I first bought into csc :-)

Wordpress seems to have a lot of clubs that do well so it could be done but as you say needs carefull management. Could be something I’ll look into for a new Ecommerce Portal I’m putting together.

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Hi seo is change from 3.0.5.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Example ÜüİiĞğŞşÇçÖö it change uuiccoeoe.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]But must be change this (ÜüİiĞğŞşÇçÖö) character uuiiggssccoo is anyone help for this thanks.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]The other version only change in from fn.catalog.php it work but 3.0.5 not work fine.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]$chars = array([/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“ı” =>“i”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“ç” =>“c”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“ÄŸ” =>“g”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“ü” =>“u”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“ÅŸ” =>“s”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“ö” =>“o”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“Ä°” =>“i”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“Ç” =>“c”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“Äž” =>“g”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“Ãœ” =>“u”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“Åž” =>“s”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]“Ö” =>“o”,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]' ' => $d,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]'&#39;' => '',[/font][/color]

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1358437453' post='153041']

One reason I've been seriously considering ditching CS-Cart for a hosted solution.

[/quote]

Agree. We've been looking too. The problem is we had plenty of issues with the “hosted” one too.

I attempted to download Ultimate 3.0.5 trial … the file is empy … and the size is only 85K.

Yep, 3.1.x is nothing but “lipstick on a bulldog” … new “pretty” front end, but, same ole “ugly” backend.

The upcoming Version 3.1.1 will provide at least two major improvements that all current CS-Cart users should greatly benefit from:

1. The ability to upgrade / switch to various versions without the need to un-install, re-install the different versions (this should also make life easier for those that decide to upgrade even when they had no idea as to why they were even upgrading!) :idea:

2. An API will be introduced most likely attracting more 3rd party developers

So, I do believe they are on track & heading in the right direction!

Regarding the pretty admin panel, if they toss it in along the way, then I’ll take it…

Why does the Setting up the Suppliers functionality KB article say the article applies to CS-Cart v3.0.X. I'm yet to see any 3.X build with Suppliers functionality.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1358858444' post='153321']

Why does the Setting up the Suppliers functionality KB article say the article applies to CS-Cart v3.0.X. I'm yet to see any 3.X build with Suppliers functionality.

[/quote]

As far as I know, it's only in the Professional version.

[quote name='The Tool' timestamp='1358862046' post='153326']

As far as I know, it's only in the Professional version.

[/quote]

That's what I read too, but on my most recent build, I initially downloaded 3.0.4 Professional. There was no Suppliers addon to be seen in Professional. Nor is there Suppliers functionality in Ultimate 3.0.4.

Also, the fact they said a few months ago that Professional would be integrated into Ultimate to create one single version, makes me wonder if they ever plan to provide the Suppliers function any time in the near future. In 10 minutes I found several cases which have cost CS-Cart $10k+ in sales alone due to this 'oversight'.

It's not an addon. You enable it via the settings.

In 2.2.5, to enable Suppliers, the options appear in Settings>Suppliers. In V3.1.1, Suppliers appears to be an add-on. In a 3.0.5 Professional development store, Suppliers doesn't appear in either of these locations.

Looking at the demo it does. http://demo.cs-cart.com/professional/admin.php?dispatch=settings.manage§ion_id=Suppliers

[quote name='The Tool' timestamp='1358891987' post='153372']

Looking at the demo it does. http://demo.cs-cart…on_id=Suppliers

[/quote]

Odd. I installed 3.0.4 Professional and upgraded to 3.0.5 using the upgrade center, other than that, nothing has been touched in the install. Must be something amiss with this install. Thanks for the heads up.

Pavel,

There is a thread in Design and Templates, “Profile > Phone Field”, which discribes the problem and the fix.

The issue is in 3.0.5 too … two definations were left out of base.css.

Craig