Credit Card Capture on Prior Authorization

I have just modified the addon to capture the prior authorized amount or the order total, whichever is less.

If you’ve changed the order since it was placed so that the total is different than then authorized amount then you really want to void the prior authorization and re-authorize for the new amount. However, if the total is less than the previously authorized amount then it’s generally accepted practice to charge only the new amount leaving the residual as an authorized amount.

Note also that you can only do 1 prior_auth_capture against a previous authorization.

I’m not quite clear on why you think it’s a benefit to auth/capture at time of sale and then change the order to some other amount and have to either auth/caputre a new amount or to refund some portion of the previously capture amount.

In any event, if you chose to change the order and go into manual mode, you simply wouldn’t change the order to the status that will trigger the capture for that particular order.

Have you read the documentation?

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I have just modified the addon to capture the prior authorized amount or the order total, whichever is less.

If you’ve changed the order since it was placed so that the total is different than then authorized amount then you really want to void the prior authorization and re-authorize for the new amount. However, if the total is less than the previously authorized amount then it’s generally accepted practice to charge only the new amount leaving the residual as an authorized amount.

Note also that you can only do 1 prior_auth_capture against a previous authorization.

I’m not quite clear on why you think it’s a benefit to auth/capture at time of sale and then change the order to some other amount and have to either auth/caputre a new amount or to refund some portion of the previously capture amount.

In any event, if you chose to change the order and go into manual mode, you simply wouldn’t change the order to the status that will trigger the capture for that particular order.

Have you read the documentation?[/QUOTE]

1. auto capture save time without manually capture each order.
  2. authorized amount will put a hold on customer customer’s credit/debit card
  3. credit card takes 3 business days to clear the pending funds, but it takes up to 10 business days for debit card.

And when you’re backordered on an item or something else prevents you from shipping what the cusomer purchased…

As the OP said, most reputable merchants will auth at time of sale and capture at time of ship. That’s the issue this addon was intended to solve. Not sure how it takes more time when things are done automatically when the order goes to a new status…

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]And when you’re backordered on an item or something else prevents you from shipping what the cusomer purchased…

As the OP said, most reputable merchants will auth at time of sale and capture at time of ship. That’s the issue this addon was intended to solve. Not sure how it takes more time when things are done automatically when the order goes to a new status…[/QUOTE]

Let’s say the order was previosly mark shipped and the credit card was been captured with your mod. Then, I need to modify the order and change the status to processing. Would your mod attempts to capture and charge again if it was previously done?

[quote]

Let’s say the order was previosly mark shipped and the credit card was been captured with your mod. Then, I need to modify the order and change the status to processing. Would your mod attempts to capture and charge again if it was previously done?

[/quote]

Not if it was previously captured by the addon. When the addon does the capture it creates an “order data” element within the payment information called “capture_info” (this shows to the admin when viewing the order details). If that element already exists, a capture will NOT be done. Hence you can only capture once. Anet also specifies that you can only do one prior_auth_capture against a prior auth_only transaction.

Here’s what the payment info looks like when the admin views the order:

See attached.

The actual text will be different since this was from my testing.

capture_info.jpg

Just realized that the “auth_amount” field is a field that EZ Merchant Solutions adds for our customers that utilize our back-end system. Hence it doesn’t apply to the standard cart.

So the addon has been changed to use the order total as the amount to capture. If it is within the rules set forth by the provider (some allow for 15% overage) then the capture will succeed. Otherwise it will fail. Notification is given to the admin in either case. If it fails, the “capture_info” field is NOT added to the order so another capture could be done at a later time.

Hello tbirnseth,

I don’t have time to check this yet. However, I went ahead to purchase the add-on already so that you don’t complain about the demand is gone. I am pretty sure you will help me out if I run into problems. Thank you!

Most certainly. I will also give you a 30day money back guarantee if you’re not completely satisfied that the addon does what it says it will do.

Thanks for this, tbirnseth! I might be purchasing this add-on if it will work in my 2.0.8 version. I don’t know when I’ll be upgrading since my current version is working quite nicely for me at the moment. I like that you changed the capture to choose either the order total or the authorized total since I do update my shipping charges (always less) on an order if it comes out to be less than what was authorized.

Nice work!

It should work with almost any 2.x.x version.

Note that it only works with the order total. The auth_total was an extension that I added for my subscription clients and is not available in the standard cart. So it always tries to capture the order total. If that’s changed from the original authorization, then it may or may not succeed depending on the amount of change and authorize.net. You might have to void and auth/capture at the Anet site if the total has gone up by more than 15%.

tbirnseth,

I had to step away from this thread for a while to fight some fires, but I was ecstatic to return and find out you had developed an add-on. Thank you! I just ordered it for a domain I’m transitioning. I plan to integrate it this weekend.

Please report back how it works out for you. It’s pretty straight forward and for once, there’s no administrative interface that needs to be developed. That’s where most of the cost usually ends up being sunk!

i have been busy, therefore, the mod hasn’t installed yet.

Request:

I wonder if it is easy to create an amount field within the order detail page.

Then, the credit card will be charged manually based on that order details like billing, shipping, order# …

It makes it easier if the customer wants to add more products to order. Then, the difference can be charged easier without authorize the full amount again!

Thank you!

The addon uses a prior auth capture. That is different than a capture. Hence, the amount needs to be less than or equal to the amount authorized during checkout.

Providing capture capability would involve creating an interace to input amounts, etc. The addon was developed to simply capture prior authorized amounts. It is not intended to be a general charge interface.