Copyright.tpl Editing Not Taking Affect

Hi All, new to cs cart and this forum.

I am running V4.1.5

I have edited the Copyright template to remove the CS Cart Themes link but after uploading the amended file no changes seem to take affect. I have cleared the cache via Admin/Storage. I have also cleared the cache on my browser (both ie and firefox). I have tried it in a different pc running chrome but again the damned link is still there. The file I edited was in design/themes/basic/templates/blocks/static_templates/copyright.tpl

Any ideas?

Hi Ftanftang,

Are you sure you run the basic theme but not something else like responsive?

Hi Breezee, thanks for repsonding. You are going to have to excuse my ignorance but I don’t understand what you mean :?

I have had a new skin installed if that’s what you mean but I have trawled through most of the folders via my ftp and only found 2 copyright.tpl - I have amended and saved both without the link on but to no avail.

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]In design/themes folder there are folders of all the themes installed in your cart (in my there are 2: basic and responsive, you may have more). The active theme is only one, you should change files for the active theme to see the result. To find the active theme open your admin panel and go to Design → Themes. Since you say that you have changed both files the problem is not in the theme. Try to comment lines in copyright.tpl of your active theme after [/font][/color]{** block-description:tmpl_copyright *} [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]with { *} tags just to be sure that you are changing the right file.[/font][/color]

```php

{** block-description:tmpl_copyright **}

{*

© {if $smarty.const.TIME|date_format:"%Y" != $settings.Company.company_start_year}{$settings.Company.company_start_year}-{/if}{$smarty.const.TIME|date_format:"%Y"} {$settings.Company.company_name}.  {__("powered_by")} {__("copyright_shopping_cart", ["[product]" => $smarty.const.PRODUCT_NAME])}

*}
```

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]The content of copyright block should become empty.[/font][/color]

Anyway it is not a good practice to change files that way. But with my_changes addon.
In your case just do the following:
1. Go to [b]design/your_active_theme/templates/addons/[/b].
2. Find [b]my_changes[/b] folder or create a new one
3. Create folders [b]blocks/static_templates[/b] there.
4. Copy [b]copyright.tpl[/b] to your new /list_templates folder, change it's name to anything you like for example [b]my_copyright.tpl[/b]
5. Change the description in the file to {** block-description:tmpl_my_copyright **}
6. Add a language variable in Admin panel [b]Administration->Languages->Translations[/b]
variable: [b]tmpl_my_copyright[/b] value: [b]My copyright[/b]
7. Clear cache
8. Go to [b]Design->Layouts[/b] in admin panel and find Copyright block in the Default location. Click on options button. There in a drop-down menu Template should appear your new created template [b]My copyright[/b].
9. Change this template instead of core one and do not afraid of losing it after upgrade.

Another one simple way is to create folder [b]overrides[/b] in my_changes addon [b]([/b][b]design/your_active_theme/templates/addons/my_changes/overrides) [/b]and copy there a file with the path identical to the one you want to change. Clear cache and change that file instead of core one.

Something about it here: [url="http://docs.cs-cart.com/4.0.x/addons/hooking/tpl_hooks.html"]http://docs.cs-cart..../tpl_hooks.html[/url]

Wow Breezee, thanks for your very detailed response.

I think you may need the patience of a saint with me!

I have done exactly as per your numbered points but when I go to point 8 and click the dropdown box, the My Copyright is not listed.

I have gone over the steps several times but to no avail.

What am I missing?

Sorry, my mistake in path

3. [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Create folders [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]blocks/static_templates [/font][/color]

The logic is that the new path is the same path as the original one.

Also check if My Changes addon is installed and active in admin panel (Add-ons → Manage addons)

Hi Breezee, thanks again for your time.

I have created the static_templates folder but when I try to create the file my_copyright.tpl I get this message:

ErrorCannot create the file my_copyright.tpl. Please check the directory permissions.

Read about permissions here:

Hi Breezee,

I tried the above and also have same problem as Ftanftang, item 8 on dropdown I do not see “My copyright”. I have done all above and cleared cache and went over and over to make sure all was correct. Can you please check and advise.

thanks

Too many steps to change copyright. I remember whatever I did hover link was still remaining to cs-cart site. In order to change this I had to edit config.php file (resource url) if I remember correctly

Yes I agree. I had also changed the config.php file. But what I'm looking for is to use the My Changes folder so when updating I will not interfere with the whole page.

Hoping Mr. Breezee can assist further.

Thanks

[quote name='goia007' timestamp='1417550041' post='198582']

Yes I agree. I had also changed the config.php file. But what I'm looking for is to use the My Changes folder so when updating I will not interfere with the whole page.

Hoping Mr. Breezee can assist further.

Thanks

[/quote]

Can someone with a bit of CS CART experience assist on above please.

I do so many changes, third party themes, addons so My_changes addon would not help me upgrade process.

My Changes is not the only one solution. You may use My Changes or create some new addons of your own. The main rule for me is not to touch the original Cs files, but create the new ones with the help of addons. It works great and helps to keep the structure flexible and easy to maintain.

Goia007, I really don't know what you did wrong, but I did made a short video tutorial. Hope it helps much more than a lot of words. [url=“CS-Cart tuts: How to change copyright.tpl with "My Changes" addon - YouTube”]CS-Cart tuts: How to change copyright.tpl with "My Changes" addon - YouTube

[quote name='breezee' timestamp='1417691851' post='198733']

My Changes is not the only one solution. You may use My Changes or create some new addons of your own. The main rule for me is not to touch the original Cs files, but create the new ones with the help of addons. It works great and helps to keep the structure flexible and easy to maintain.

Goia007, I really don't know what you did wrong, but I did made a short video tutorial. Hope it helps much more than a lot of words. [url=“CS-Cart tuts: How to change copyright.tpl with "My Changes" addon - YouTube”]CS-Cart tuts: How to change copyright.tpl with "My Changes" addon - YouTube

[/quote]

Hello Breeze,

WOW! thanks for the youtube tut. Worked like a charm. Thank you for the detailed explanartion.