Copy of website content

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]I presume that that was directed at me - I’ve upgrade SEA but I haven’t modified my topics/pages since 2006. Not sure what I’m missing here?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not directed at you JesseLee. I’m aware of SEA - I didn’t realise you were upgrading your site.

I’ve looked into who owns the site in question. They haven’t been using CS-Cart for all that long - probably since version 2 came out. I was just checking my site through Google and theirs popped up so I had a look and noticed they have changed their template and are in the process of upgrading.

It is possible, but I’m not certain, that there is a website design company involved in this somewherel.

I’ll admit I’m guilty of taking ideas from other websites and adapting them to my own site (can any of us say we haven’t done that?) but there is no way I would copy, verbatim, anything from another website. Apart from the legal implications, there are moral ones as well and I like to be able to sleep at night.

[quote name=‘TonyK’]Good Luck! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I hear where you are coming from. It’s irritating when someone takes something that you spent effort creating for yourself. It’s puzzling why they wouldn’t want to do the right thing.

I had a rogue forum member create her own forum based off of mine. She copied my rules verbatim and even copied popular posts from my site and started them on the new forum. :rolleyes: In that case, there really wasn’t much I could do. I asked her to modify it but she claimed she had done nothing wrong. I went to her webhost and they asked for me to complete all the standard paperwork required by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). I ended up not pursuing it and she eventually closed the site down.

[quote name=‘Triplets’]I do not recommend this. This approach causes a security pop-up message in IE that will most likely scare away customers.[/QUOTE]

That’s not thrue, I have had it for more than 2 years and never come across this problem in any browser. Have you try that yourself or just heard something about it?

That pop up only happens with an extendend code that I don’t use, I use a simple and allowed version for any browser.

[quote name=‘E.Qi.Librium’]That’s not thrue, I have had it for more than 2 years and never come across this problem in any browser. Have you try that yourself or just heard something about it?

That pop up only happens with an extendend code that I don’t use, I use a simple and allowed version for any browser.[/quote]

It’s true, additional javascript in IE7/8 will trigger with Windows own ‘defender’ application. I’ve had it happen a few times but can’t reproduce it.

In order to trigger that you have to add

ondragstart=”return false” onselectstart=”return false”

I had that problem to with this complete code so I adapted it in order to work but without triggering that pop up.

Anyway, there are a few other kinds of similar javascript codes that can acomplish this.

[quote name=‘E.Qi.Librium’]That’s not thrue, I have had it for more than 2 years and never come across this problem in any browser. Have you try that yourself or just heard something about it?

That pop up only happens with an extendend code that I don’t use, I use a simple and allowed version for any browser.[/quote]

I tried it and in the default install of IE7 & IE8 (which most people use) it causes the alert popup the first time someone visits a site with this command. It only happens the first time (future visits will not cause the popup), but just enough to scare a customer away.

You do not see it anymore because you have already visited your site.

I’ve never quite understood why members post their sites on the forum in the first place. You have everyone here creating and trying to create a professional product at a start-up level with a start-up budget. Sure people are going to reference your hard work. Maybe even duplicate it if it looks as if it’s working well.

I’m not saying it’s right, but you have to protect yourself. As much as I’d love to post my site in the forum and get opinions, I just won’t do it for this very reason. I’d rather pay a couple of the top members here to privately view my site and give me feedback.

With this being said, content theft will always be a problem and unless you’re a big name, then move on a spend your time in a more productive way. Chances are the person copying your work hasn’t a clue how to run a business and in the end that’s what counts in my opinion.

Stu

You’re right Stu, but the backlinks in google tast to good :cool: