Clarification about Mods

I am wondering if anyone can update me where we stand on the development of “mods” ?

Having read this time and time again, it really does make me chuckle somewhat and then boil with anger over the audacity of even including such a statement in the CS-Cart terms.

[QUOTE]2. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS AND RESTRICTIONS

2.1 Ownership.

The Software and all modifications or enhancements to, or derivative works based on the Software, whether created by the Author or you, and all copyrights, patents, trade secrets, trademarks and other intellectual property rights protecting or pertaining to any aspect of the Software or any such modification, enhancement or derivative work are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of the Author. This Agreement does not convey title or ownership to you but instead gives you only the limited rights set forth in this Agreement. [/QUOTE]

However, it does need answering simply because if you do design a “mod” or “web template” that is very good - would it mean CS can claim ownership of it. In reading the above terms it surly would read they could.

Really, I ask, how is CS meant to go forward without 3rd party development. Seems to me they need to look at this somewhat ?

from what I understand you can make mods and templates and sell them so long as you do not take or use code from existing cs code…

Yes, I know what you are saying, but any mod is an enhancement in whatever form or for whoever requires a beneficial coding. In addition, as for templates, well you would most defiantly have to carry the code across so would fall into the category of “derivative works based on the Software”.

It would seem that the terms are somewhat unfair because anything you do to CS would mean that they could copy/rip it and call it their own.

It would be interesting if anyone has any experience on this, that I am sure if I asked CS they would just quote the T&C’s.

They are probably covering themselves but then sensible enough not to get to excited about it all.