Checkout changes for CS-Cart 2.1. First draft.

[quote name=‘admin’]Accepted. This will be reworked in 2.1 as well.[/QUOTE]

Can the estimator be still available if the order has qualified for free shipping, or alternatively can the fact that shipping is 0.00 be visible in the subtotals.

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Can the estimator be still available if the order has qualified for free shipping, or alternatively can the fact that shipping is 0.00 be visible in the subtotals.[/QUOTE]

This is really important. The customer should always be informed of the shipping cost even if that cost is 0.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]This is really important. The customer should always be informed of the shipping cost even if that cost is 0.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Yes it is important that the customer should be informed of the shipping cost even if it is 0, but I don’t see the sense of having the estimator/calculator visible if the order qualifies for free shipping this will actually confuse the customer if anything. If the order qualifies for Free shipping it should be clearly visible somewhere on that page with a 0 value.

[quote name=‘gasngrills’]Yes it is important that the customer should be informed of the shipping cost even if it is 0, but I don’t see the sense of having the estimator/calculator visible if the order qualifies for free shipping this will actually confuse the customer if anything. If the order qualifies for Free shipping it should be clearly visible somewhere on that page with a 0 value.[/QUOTE]

Just because it qualifies for free shipping doesn’t mean that there isn’t a better/faster shipping method that is not free. Look at Amazon for example, they offer free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount but they also allow the customer to pay for faster shipping methods like 2 day or overnight if the customer wants to. Because of this the shipping estimator should be visible if and only if there are alternative shipping methods besides the free shipping.

[quote name=‘adodric’]Just because it qualifies for free shipping doesn’t mean that there isn’t a better/faster shipping method that is not free. Look at Amazon for example, they offer free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount but they also allow the customer to pay for faster shipping methods like 2 day or overnight if the customer wants to. Because of this the shipping estimator should be visible if and only if there are alternative shipping methods besides the free shipping.[/QUOTE]

You can set up this kind of shipping discount (a specific shipping method available for free) using promotions.

The problem when you check “Free shipping” on a product is that you cannot bind that to a specific shipping method; your “free shipping” product(s) would ride along for free even if the customer chooses an expedited or more costly shipping method.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]You can set up this kind of shipping discount (a specific shipping method available for free) using promotions.

The problem when you check “Free shipping” on a product is that you cannot bind that to a specific shipping method; your “free shipping” product(s) would ride along for free even if the customer chooses an expedited or more costly shipping method.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wasn’t really commenting on the current cart implementation. I was just pointing out that even if an order qualifies for free shipping then there should still be a shipping estimator if there are different shipping options available. This was in reply to gasngrills saying:

[QUOTE]

…I don’t see the sense of having the estimator/calculator visible if the order qualifies for free shipping this will actually confuse the customer if anything.[/QUOTE]

I am using multi=page checkout right now because I think the one-page checkout is a bit confusing and the ajax is problematic for some customers. I really would like to use one-page checkout, however. In another thread someone pointed to a simple one-page checkout and many people liked it. If nothing else, I think an option to have a checkout like this would be popular. I just encountered another good example here:

[url]https://www.bulkherbstore.com/ord/checkout[/url]

It has all the elements clearly visible and it’s fast and easy for the customer. I noticed this doesn’t have an option to estimate shipping but that could be added without complicating things.

[quote name=‘ogia’]I am using multi=page checkout right now because I think the one-page checkout is a bit confusing and the ajax is problematic for some customers. I really would like to use one-page checkout, however. In another thread someone pointed to a simple one-page checkout and many people liked it. If nothing else, I think an option to have a checkout like this would be popular. I just encountered another good example here:

[/QUOTE]

I still prefer the CS-Cart checkout . . . showing the customer ALL of these fields at the same time looks daunting. I like how CS-Cart just shows a little bit at a time using AJAX.

Shipping estimator should always be there even if there is free shipping.

OTOH, that changes if there is NO Shipping.

It is not free shipping if there is nothing to ship. If everything in the cart is an electronic download, that is the ONLY time there should be no shipping estimator.

The “Free Shipping” option in the products section is mislabeled as “Free Shipping” and should be “No Shipping”. Although it wouldn’t be bad to have a Free Shipping option where you can select which method you want to offer for free.

If you look at the code, it doesn’t expect anything that has “Free Shipping” marked to actually be shipped.

[quote name=‘phazei’]Shipping estimator should always be there even if there is free shipping.

OTOH, that changes if there is NO Shipping.

It is not free shipping if there is nothing to ship. If everything in the cart is an electronic download, that is the ONLY time there should be no shipping estimator.

The “Free Shipping” option in the products section is mislabeled as “Free Shipping” and should be “No Shipping”. Although it wouldn’t be bad to have a Free Shipping option where you can select which method you want to offer for free.

If you look at the code, it doesn’t expect anything that has “Free Shipping” marked to actually be shipped.[/QUOTE]

You are correct that the shipping calculator should always be displayed if at least one product is not a downloadable product and probably only if there is more than a single shipping method.

However, you misunderstand the product “Free shipping” which is meant to allow exclusion of a specific product(s) from the shipping calculation. Several forum members use this feature on their sites and have even modded their carts to display a “Free shipping” icon on the product deatails for qualifying products.

Bob

[quote name=‘knoxbury’]I still prefer the CS-Cart checkout . . . showing the customer ALL of these fields at the same time looks daunting. I like how CS-Cart just shows a little bit at a time using AJAX.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it’s daunting at all. I’ve found the ajax is problematic for many customers, which is why I can’t use it.

Where are all the people that liked the simple one-page checkout? :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, I think this should be an option so if we want to use a simple non-ajax one page checkout we can. Those that are happy with the existing one can keep it.

[quote name=‘ogia’]Where are all the people that liked the simple one-page checkout? :p[/QUOTE]

I use the one-page checkout and really like it. I feel that the workflow can be improved in some of the ways listed above, but overall, it works for my customers and they checkout just fine.

In my old shopping cart software it was multiple steps and that caused people to abandon early.

Adam

Here they are… providing input about checkout in other threads but then disappearing when it’s time to get what we want. :wink:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16088&page=3[/url]

[quote name=‘ogia’]

Where are all the people that liked the simple one-page checkout? :p[/QUOTE]

We’ve used it for years and sold hundreds of thousands of dollars and people love it.

When I say “simple” one-page checkout, I’m referring to a non-ajax version, not the one that cs-cart currently has. Something more like the one I mentioned a few posts up:

[quote name=‘ogia’]When I say “simple” one-page checkout, I’m referring to a non-ajax version, not the one that cs-cart currently has. Something more like the one I mentioned a few posts up:

[url]https://www.bulkherbstore.com/ord/checkout[/url][/QUOTE]

I guess CS-Cart could design 3 checkout options (multipage, single page non-ajax and ajax), but I like the ajax checkout. That IS what makes it simple.

Thanks for your feedback! I’m happy to see that the suggested draft looks good enough for most of you.

We will surely take into account your great suggestions posted here when designing the final version of Checkout 2.1.

[quote name=‘admin’]Thanks for your feedback! I’m happy to see that the suggested draft looks good enough for most of you.

We will surely take into account your great suggestions posted here when designing the final version of Checkout 2.1.[/QUOTE]

Will you be posting your mock-up sketches soon?

Bob

I think one of the one page checkouts some of you like was on my digishop site at www.thelolitastore.com , sort of old school but it is uber-simple and it converts well. I am looking forward to some of the changes in 2.1…