Charge for Shipping After Shipping?

I have a client who ships different sized items on UPS exclusively, and some weighing 250lbs on motor freight.

They already take credit cards and will manually enter the card numbers. They would like to charge for the shipping when the item ships.

How would I set this up in CS Cart?

Well, two quick ways I can think of are:

1. Choose a payment processor within CS-Cart which allows you to perform Authorize & Capture “seperately”, 1st the transactions are authorized, then you can do the final capture of the funds when the order ships. You can also make adjustments to the actual shipping charge before capturing, however, the actual amount captured must be no more than approx. 15% higher than the original amount Authorized.

2. Create an “Offline” credit card payment method in CS-Cart in which the customer will enter their card details at time of order, these details will be retained in CS-Cart until you delete them, then you will simply manually process the charge at the time of shipment. There are pros & cons to both! :wink:

I would suggest you start out by setting up an Offline credit card payment method & doing some simulated test orders on your own to get a feel as to how this will work for you.

Thanks for the reply.

I think they want to just charge the card manually (they have a CC machine) when it’s ready to ship and have final shipping charges.

So there will be no payment gateway thing going on here, all manual.

Well, the only thing I can think of is to just let the people know what is going on. Basically give them a message like.

[quote]If you cart contains an item that needs to be shipped via Truck than please checkout and we will contact you as soon as possible with a shipping quote.[/quote]

Then for the products that get shipped via truck you could have them set to free shipping or something.

Attached is a mod that will allow you to set which products will be shipped by truck and then give the customer a warning about that fact. It will also allow you export and import the table via CSV. Below are also the instructions.

1.) In your mySQL do:

ALTER TABLE `cscart_products` ADD `truck` char( 1 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'N' AFTER `shipping_freight`

2.) In your language variable add:

truck_shipping => Ship By Truck?

and

truck_message => If you cart contains an item that needs to be shipped via Truck than please checkout and we will contact you as soon as possible with a shipping quote.

and

short_truck_message => Ships Via Truck

3.) In skins/admin/basic/views/products/update.tpl

After:

Add:

4.)In schemas/exim/products.tpl

After:

'Shipping freight' => array (
'#db_field' => 'shipping_freight'
),

Add:

'Truck Shipping' => array (
'#db_field' => 'truck'
),

5.) In skins/your-skin/customer/blocks/list_templates/simplelist.tpl

After:

{if $capture_product_options}{capture name="product_options"}{/if}
{assign var="product_amount" value="product_amount_`$obj_id`"}
{$smarty.capture.$product_amount}

Add:

{if $product.truck == "Y"}

Ships Via Truck {$lang.short_truck_message}

{/if}

6.) In skins/your-skin/customer/views/checkout/components/checkout_steps.tpl

After:

Add:

Ships Via Truck {$lang.truck_message}

That’s it. Now of course a guy could probably clean it up a little bit using CSS, but this should get you started anyways.

Brandon

ship_by_truck.zip

[QUOTE]So there will be no payment gateway thing going on here, all manual.[/QUOTE]

Well, just view the “Offline Credit Card” payment method option as nothing more than a way of collecting your customers credit card details in an automated way!

How your customer uses these details at time of order processing is up to them, it just gives them alot of flexibilty, which it sounds as if they need.

As far as how the manual shipping cost details are presented during checkout, somewhat relating back to what Brandon is explaining.

We currently do something like this:

You could just setup a special shipping method in CS-Cart based perhaps upon weight, as in 50+ Lbs it becomes effective with a shipping cost of 0.00. Then in the shipping description it could state something like: “You will be notified seperately of the actual shipping costs as they are manually calculated”. Or whatever wording you want to use to explain this.

Brandon,s way may turn out to be a better / cleaner way of displaying these details, just whatever trips your trigger! :wink:

I just have to thank Brandon for sharing his hard work here. This is the way this shopping cart got started and how it progressed from its formative years. It’s nice to be reminded that sharing with the community is still what it’s all about.