Changing Web Host Help and Transferring Database Info

Hi- I am having to transfer my website that is running on a pathetic unprofessional host and I need to figure out how to move it to a different host. Is there any important things I need to download before moving? I am a newbie and I have NO clue how to download a database. When I transfer, are my customers going to have to signup for new passwords? How easy is it to move my files? Will it be a seamless move without my customers knowing? I would appreciate any help available. Are there experts who know how to do this for a fee?

Thanks A Bunch!

AlmondJoy :confused:

[quote name=‘almondjjoy’]Hi- I am having to transfer my website that is running on a pathetic unprofessional host and I need to figure out how to move it to a different host. Is there any important things I need to download before moving? I am a newbie and I have NO clue how to download a database. When I transfer, are my customers going to have to signup for new passwords? How easy is it to move my files? Will it be a seamless move without my customers knowing? I would appreciate any help available. Are there experts who know how to do this for a fee?

Thanks A Bunch!

AlmondJoy :confused:[/QUOTE]

The host you are moving to should be able to offer this service to you. Most if not all offer it for free.

If your on a cPanel server, its pretty easy to move an entire website from one cPanel server to another.

If your not on a cPanel server, you’ll need to archive your entire public_html or www root or htdocs folder, Not sure what type of system your on.

You’ll also need to archive the entire database that goes along with your site.

There are many on the board that know how to do this, however you should be very careful who you choose to give access to your site.

You have a few choices, Contact the host you are moving to and ask them if they will move your site. Contact CS-Cart devs and ask them if they would do it, they will charge you I’m sure.

Otherwise, you can post your current server setup, like control panel being used, type of database. Do you have access to phpMyAdmin on both your current host and your future host?

[quote name=‘almondjjoy’]Hi- I am having to transfer my website that is running on a pathetic unprofessional host and I need to figure out how to move it to a different host. Is there any important things I need to download before moving? I am a newbie and I have NO clue how to download a database. When I transfer, are my customers going to have to signup for new passwords? How easy is it to move my files? Will it be a seamless move without my customers knowing? I would appreciate any help available. Are there experts who know how to do this for a fee?

Thanks A Bunch!

AlmondJoy :confused:[/QUOTE]

I’m sure this will help:

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

Except the downtime during website transfer, your customers will not notice other changes.

If you use a decent host they will move it for you.

Try http://www.vidahost.com

[quote name=‘D-Litz’]The host you are moving to should be able to offer this service to you. Most if not all offer it for free.

If your on a cPanel server, its pretty easy to move an entire website from one cPanel server to another.

If your not on a cPanel server, you’ll need to archive your entire public_html or www root or htdocs folder, Not sure what type of system your on.

You’ll also need to archive the entire database that goes along with your site.

There are many on the board that know how to do this, however you should be very careful who you choose to give access to your site.

You have a few choices, Contact the host you are moving to and ask them if they will move your site. Contact CS-Cart devs and ask them if they would do it, they will charge you I’m sure.

Otherwise, you can post your current server setup, like control panel being used, type of database. Do you have access to phpMyAdmin on both your current host and your future host?[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of going to godaddy. I don’t know how to access the myphp admin on my current host. There is a control panel but since I hired cs cart to do the install I don’t know what or where the database is called or located.

Godaddy said they can’t / won’t move my current site to their host. I called and asked they said they don’t.

AlmondJoy

[quote name=‘almondjjoy’]I am thinking of going to godaddy. I don’t know how to access the myphp admin on my current host. There is a control panel but since I hired cs cart to do the install I don’t know what or where the database is called or located.

Godaddy said they can’t / won’t move my current site to their host. I called and asked they said they don’t.

AlmondJoy[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to go from one crappy host to another?

[quote name=‘The Tool’]Why would you want to go from one crappy host to another?[/QUOTE]

I Just read the forums (hosts) post. Oops! Looks like godaddy is a bad idea. I am so open for recommendations.

thanks

A

In the low cost spectrum I do really like hostgator.com because they offer 24/7chat support, which is not technical, but they can fix small problems quickly. The Ticket system usually takes half day to respond.

For a site with 100 to 300 visitors a day, a business plan ($12 month) will be ok and that is what i recommend to any first time customers.

Recommendation;

When it comes to hosting I don’t think the saying “you get what you pay for” is exactly true. As anyone can resell hosting and make it look good. I could sell you space I have two servers but I wouldn’t want to support people so don’t :mrgreen:

I advise novices and the biggest problem they have is support so you might want to put more importance on that. decide how much you want to pay for hosting and add a primium for the kind of support you need.

You won’t be disapointed with http://www.vidahost.com just check their forum, The have servers in UK and US.

There are many good hosts with different pricing. We are new to CS-Cart (previous ZenCart) and all our sites are hosted by Martfox without any issues and their prices are reasonable as well.

[quote name=‘kickoff3pm’]If you use a decent host they will move it for you.

Try http://www.vidahost.com[/QUOTE]

I am now with vidahost to :smiley: it’s the speed of light! (well, may be exagerating a bit, but just a little tiny bit :oops: )

[quote name=‘kickoff3pm’]Recommendation;

You won’t be disapointed with http://www.vidahost.com just check their forum, The have servers in UK and US.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t seem to find on their site where vidahost has servers in US. Do they list this some place or offer when you check out?

Clips, you can ask them directly, they have a super efficient customer service, just send an email to support@vidahost.com and they will reply in no time.

One thing is true, I’ve never seen servers this fast :wink:

These guys are the best canadian web hosting I have used: www.canadianwebhosting.com/

Their prices are… ok… but their customer service is hands down the best.

All our servers are located in the premium Bluesquare datacentre near Maidenhead, connected to core network facilites in the Redbus Meridian Gate datacentre of the London Docklands

[url]http://www.vidahost.com/about-vidahost[/url]

[quote name=‘E.Qi.Librium’]Clips, you can ask them directly, they have a super efficient customer service, just send an email to support@vidahost.com and they will reply in no time.

One thing is true, I’ve never seen servers this fast ;)[/quote]