Changing Css And Updating?

I am looking at changing the look of my marketplace. I have many years of experience with CSS and would like to edit the CSS manually. I have made a clone of the responsive theme and would like to start editing styles.pcl.css files and the other addons CSS files. My question is when I need to upgrade CS Cart will my CSS be saved and usable in the updated version? I see how people us my_changes folder but that seems like adding clutter and extra files that are not necessary. Thanks for the help.

I am looking at changing the look of my marketplace. I have many years of experience with CSS and would like to edit the CSS manually. I have made a clone of the responsive theme and would like to start editing styles.pcl.css files and the other addons CSS files. My question is when I need to upgrade CS Cart will my CSS be saved and usable in the updated version? I see how people us my_changes folder but that seems like adding clutter and extra files that are not necessary. Thanks for the help.

If you modify the default CS-Cart files they may be overwritten during the upgrade. We recommend to make changes via Custom CSS section of the Visual editor. To enable Visual Editor go to the Design > Themes page in the administration panel and click the Visual Editor button.

Feel free to use My changes module

http://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/37510-how-to-add-custom-css-with-my-changes-addon/

It will not increase significantly the amount files (just two extra files are required)

If you modify the default CS-Cart files they may be overwritten during the upgrade. We recommend to make changes via Custom CSS section of the Visual editor. To enable Visual Editor go to the Design > Themes page in the administration panel and click the Visual Editor button.

styles.pcl.css is created by the Theme Editor link to Convert to CSS. As the tool tip notes once done you can no longer use the Theme Editor to make changes, you'll just get an edit box to manually edit the one giant styles.pcl.css file with all of the cs-cart styling from several different files included. Your addons will have their less files converted to pcl.css files as well. You can switch back to using styles.less (button appears in Theme Editor after Convert to CSS) but any changes made to the pcl.css files will be lost. I would recommend switching back to less.

Doesn't the Custom CSS get overwritten by an upgrade unless you clone the preset?

Doesn't the Custom CSS get overwritten by an upgrade unless you clone the preset?

Yes it will get overwritten on upgrade unless you clone the template, But this is something that you nearly always have to do once you make a change in visual editor.

Alan

Ok. so if I use the visual editor to change CSS on my cloned theme then I will be fine once upgrading? I am making massive changes to the CSS and want to make sure its not a waste of time when it comes time to upgrade. Thanks for the help!

Ok. so if I use the visual editor to change CSS on my cloned theme then I will be fine once upgrading? I am making massive changes to the CSS and want to make sure its not a waste of time when it comes time to upgrade. Thanks for the help!

CSS rules which are added to the Custom CSS field in the Theme editor will not be overwritten during the upgrade.

If you clone a theme but use one of the cs-cart theme styles (Greeny, Modern, Wooden, etc.) the custom css file will get overwritten. Only files that do not exist in the base theme will not be overwritten. So you need to clone the theme style to prevent it from getting overwritten. When you go to select the theme style in the visual editor a clone icon appears next to it, click on that to clone the theme style. Then none of your changes will get overwritten by an upgrade.

I have created a cloned theme using the default responsive theme and the modern layout. It is in a separate directory and I have activated it and it is the installed theme. I have made a bunch of css changes using the theme editor. I have changed various pcl.css files and everything looks good. I believe from what people are saying that these changes will not be affected when I upgrade?

What happens when in future upgrades there are new css classes added for new features? How are the new classes added to the various css files without removing changes I have made in my custom theme? Thanks for helping clear up some of this guys.

Not sure why you're not just adding a design/themes/[theme]/css/addons/my_changes/my_styles.css file and make it available via a hook in design/themes/[theme]/templates/addons/my_changes/hooks/indes/styles.post.tpl just like Ecom recommended you read about in an early post in this thread. The my_changes area will not be overwritten and you can copy it into any new theme and adjust as need there. It's a lot more natural to work with than an in-application editor.

I am now using the my_changes add on. Works well so far. Thanks for the help guys!