CDN Service

Hi,

If people using any CDN addon for Cs-Cart share their experiences with us , we would be glad.

• Which CDN service used?(Akamai,Max CDN etc)
  • For the integration,since CDN providers doesn't support Cs-Cart implementation,how did you do that manually?

-Any htaccess configuration needed?

If someone can help us for CDN integration, we'll get higher loading times.

Thank you,

Hey,

No-one willing to respond?

Get in touch with SnoRocket, they have previously offered a CDN addon, which I believe is currently unavailable as further functionalities are being developed. Don't quote me on that…but you can find out more here

Hope that helps in your quest -if you do get something sorted, it would be appreciated if you could update the community as this is a highly sought after function - add your vote to the CDN CS Cart Uservoice.

[quote]Get in touch with SnoRocket, they have previously offered a CDN addon, which I believe is currently unavailable as further functionalities are being developed. Don't quote me on that…but you can find out more here[/quote]

We know everything about the addon. It requires some modifications for being stable and Sno stopped to develop CDN addon since he said that: there is not enough interest to purchase it.

[quote]Hope that helps in your quest -if you do get something sorted, it would be appreciated if you could update the community as this is a highly sought after function - add your vote to the CDN CS Cart Uservoice.[/quote]

Thanks for your time to reply to this post.However, we don't post any issue here before analyzing the issue & search it from the forum & cs-cart user voice &bug tracker.

We're trying to find ready-made solution to implement,since it will take too much time to get it- cdn addon will be approved by cs-cart, then planned, then development stage, as a final process will be the testing stage.

As I thought, some people in the forum used CDN hosting and succeed with Akamai, Max CDN but unfortunately, they didn't share any info with us.

Thank you,

[quote name='getreal' timestamp='1323248711' post='127428'] We know everything about the addon. It requires some modifications for being stable and Sno stopped to develop CDN addon since he said that: there is not enough interest to purchase it. Thanks for your time to reply to this post.However, we don't post any issue here before analyzing the issue & search it from the forum & cs-cart user voice &bug tracker. We're trying to find ready-made solution to implement,since it will take too much time to get it- cdn addon will be approved by cs-cart, then planned, then development stage, as a final process will be the testing stage. As I thought, some people in the forum used CDN hosting and succeed with Akamai, Max CDN but unfortunately, they didn't share any info with us. Thank you, [/quote]

No need to develop this kind of addon!

I did install googles mod_pagespeed addon for apache server, took some time to tune it up, rewrote skins paths in my current skin to my CDN domain, put up simlinks from my root CS-CART directory into my four CDN sub-domains (CNAME DNS records) on cookie-less domain, and here we go!

The setup I used works just fine on all my domains on the server and I am pretty happy with it. Check out the source code of my pages at http://borescopeit.org and you will find the CDN distribution of content.

Also, worthy to mention (though it is an OFF-Topic), for mySQL I use Percona SQL Server with InnoDB database engine. I discarded MyISAM engine totally because it is as old as my grandma!

If there is an interest in my CDN optimization setup, I can share it with the public.

First, would like to know the numbers (past and present) on your data delivery speeds/times to various worldwide locations.

Not clear how serving content from the same server (or same network) as the web-server really helps. The primary purpose of a CDN is to get the data close to the requestor. How is the data distributed and cached at remote locations? While there might be benefit of having common content shared among stores, that's not really CDN.

Please describe the problem you are trying to solve along with the solution.

I believe the OP was looking for a real CDN implementation using cs-cart.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1326244039' post='129170']

First, would like to know the numbers (past and present) on your data delivery speeds/times to various worldwide locations.

Not clear how serving content from the same server (or same network) as the web-server really helps. The primary purpose of a CDN is to get the data close to the requestor. How is the data distributed and cached at remote locations? While there might be benefit of having common content shared among stores, that's not really CDN.

Please describe the problem you are trying to solve along with the solution.

I believe the OP was looking for a real CDN implementation using cs-cart.

[/quote]

I do not want my content cached by real CDN services for one simple reason - I want to have full control over the quality and freshness of data delivered to a visitor.

What I achieved with my own content distribution across cookie-less subdomains:

1. Google Pagespeed and Yslow rating rize from 56/100 to up to 100/100
  2. Apache2 mod_pagespeed on-the-fly css/js/php/html/images minification/compression/piping with content distribution across clone subdomains for faster load speed and fewer http requests.
  3. Browsers are limited to 2-4 parallel requests per FQDN what slows download speed from a single QDN. I managed to distribute loading of content across cookie-less subdomains improving browser caching of static content. You will not be able to do that on a single domain with CS-CART running, since it setc cookies on its FQDN.

My former loading speed of the website was around 7-9 seconts in http, and about 15 seconds when I hosted with most puffed US hoster on business account plan - PacificHost.

I did a test with my server and website setup to show you how my SEO optimizations and with

mod_pagespeed ON/OFF make a difference.

Also, please notice I am self-hosting out of nowhere in Southern Manitoba on 10 mbps uplink of Shaw Business Internet package. No fiber, just cable! I bet if I move my server into colo I will easily go under 1 second load time!!!

Tests are performed by http://pingdom.com from two distant locations:

Dallas, Texas, USA [left](roughly 1,180 air miles)[/left]

[left]Amsterdam, Netherlands (roughly 4,000 air miles)[/left]

HTTP with pagespeed mod enabled + my local CDN: http://borescopeit.org/ bellow:

[left]Tested from Amsterdam, Netherlands on January 10 at 20:01:13[/left]

[left]The website is faster than 66% of all tested websites.[/left]

Tested Load Time Page Size Requests Page Speed January 10 20:01:19 2.33 s 297.6 kB 55 96

Tested from Dallas, Texas, USA on January 10 at 20:05:46

The website is faster than 78% of all tested websites.

Tested Load Time Page Size Requests Page Speed January 10 20:05:52 1.64 s 298.4 kB 57 93

[b]Testing http://www.ez-ms.com/[/b]

Tested from Amsterdam, Netherlands on January 10 at 20:38:35

The website is slower than 78% of all tested websites.

Tested Load Time Page Size Requests Page Speed January 10 20:38:45 6.90 s 534.4 kB 88 84

[color=#006400]I still have to do a lot of template optimization, but overall I am happy with results.[/color]

[quote name='borescopeit' timestamp='1326227016' post='129147']

No need to develop this kind of addon!

I did install googles mod_pagespeed addon for apache server, took some time to tune it up, rewrote skins paths in my current skin to my CDN domain, put up simlinks from my root CS-CART directory into my four CDN sub-domains (CNAME DNS records) on cookie-less domain, and here we go!

The setup I used works just fine on all my domains on the server and I am pretty happy with it. Check out the source code of my pages at http://borescopeit.org and you will find the CDN distribution of content.

Also, worthy to mention (though it is an OFF-Topic), for mySQL I use Percona SQL Server with InnoDB database engine. I discarded MyISAM engine totally because it is as old as my grandma!

If there is an interest in my CDN optimization setup, I can share it with the public.

[/quote]

It would be very welcome. The CDN is hot nowadays.

Not bad at all especially considering the size of your page. http://host-tracker.com/check_res_ajx/9607664-0/

@borescopeit thanks for the information. Just wanted to clarify the difference between performance improvement through optimization and real CDN services (which is what this thread was originally about).

With a good CDN service (like Akami) you would not have to worry about content quality nor about the validity/freshness of the cached data. They do a very good job of that.

Most of what you've done is probably relatively portable between versions since your minifying and concatenation of things like css are done outside the cart itself (I.e. in Apache). But several other things that I think you've done (like use of sprites for example) require modifications to the templates and/or to the PHP/DB side to deliver and manage the sprites) can probably be done in hooks but you don't indicate that you've used them so I'd assume you have changed standard files to meet your needs instead.

Everyone has their own trade-offs to make between performance and portability (or upgradeability in this case). You have done this at probably the most optimal time for the 2.x version of the cart since in all likelihood, there will not be another release. But upgrading a heavily modified site to 3.x could prove to cost more that the performance improvment is worth (to some). But then it seems that people upgrade on a whim here anyway without any real business reason to do so.

Thanks again for the info. Still goes to show that the overhead of http requests is far higher than any network bandwidth issues one might run into. I.e. the most can be achieved by limiting the number of requests, especially if those requests are large.