CDN Service For CS-CART ?

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]@clips - Do you know their basic architecture? Are they like Akami where they have servers scattered all over the world and suck up the content from your store as it’s demanded and where it has not expired? Or do they simply offload this to a server farm somewhere and service all content requests from there?[/QUOTE]

From what they say they have servers scattered around…but it won’t matter anymore as we have now turned it back off. We consider the test interesting, but not the best alternative. We wanted to try out their “free” application to see if we liked it but you have to change the link of your ssl to make it something like ssl.domainname.com. Since we don’t want to go through this hassle we turned cloudflare off this morning and pointed the dns back to the old dns. If you have already named your ssl something different you may be able to test this a little easier. Here is what cloudflare says on their site…

[quote]

You can setup SSL on its own subdomain (e.g., ssl.yourdomain.com or

cart.youdomain.com) and then mark that domain as not being CloudFlare

Enabled through your the CloudFlare DNS Settings page (go to Settings → DNS Settings for the site).

[/quote]

On the CDN thing I am not quite up to being able to do all the changes, etc. that some suggest. So I was hoping to find something a little easier and something that did not change CS-Cart code too much and create a huge nightmare on the next upgrade.

@clips. Could you tell us about your experience with cloudflare?

We didn’t have a bad experience with Clourflare. If it wasn’t for the ssl error I would have given it a shot for a little longer. If you already have a your ssl named something different then it will be much easier for you to try them out. I didn’t want to have to go through the hassle of changing my ssl as then needed for their free edition. I never had any contact with anyone at their company.

For those interested, here are the files that I needed to change based on how I modified the basic skin:

/skins/basic/customer/top.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/bottom.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/exception.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/previewer.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/tabsbox.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/scripts.tpl (in here only add one slash ie /cdn.yourdomain.com)

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/styles.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/search.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/popupbox.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/image.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/breadcrumbs.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/blocks/list_templates/grid_list.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/go,tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/add_to_cart_button.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/button.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/checkout.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/continue_shopping.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/place_order.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/view.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/components/product_notification.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/components/product_images.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/components/product_options.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/categories/view.tpl

/js/previewer.js (line 88 and line 140 contain the src tags)

If you have any addons, be sure to edit all src references in the tpl files in the hooks and views directories.

Let me know if you have any questions implementing.

We will be releasing the Content Delivery Network Addon in ~10 days - Sno

I have issues with cloudflare.

Pingdom without cloudflare: around 6 to 7 seconds.

Pingdon with cloudflare: times out after 30 seconds.

Some sort of bad gateway error with cloudflare turned out.

Last time i used cloudflare and notice my website is slow. so i removed them and looking for the CDN service.

Why dont you just do it yourself? Its not difficult.

Sno’s addon looks like it could be good, but I would like to see what it does first sno please.

The issues is going to be with product images written to the cloud instead of cs cart, the whole thing should allow the strain to be taken off the CS website, allowing for quicker MYSQL and improving googles pagespeed load time

[quote name=‘vtivti’]Why dont you just do it yourself? Its not difficult.

Sno’s addon looks like it could be good, but I would like to see what it does first sno please.[/QUOTE]

Hi idg

I PM you a while booking in relation to a client of mine with a high visitor count, would like you to get in touch with me via the details in the PM. Obviously i’ll pay for your time / work. We used 2.1.1 last year and had major MYSQL issues, and would like your help / advice to make sure we’re doing everything we could,

Thanks

Stephen

[quote name=‘idg’]For those interested, here are the files that I needed to change based on how I modified the basic skin:

/skins/basic/customer/top.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/bottom.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/exception.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/previewer.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/tabsbox.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/scripts.tpl (in here only add one slash ie /cdn.yourdomain.com)

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/styles.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/search.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/popupbox.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/image.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/common_templates/breadcrumbs.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/blocks/list_templates/grid_list.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/go,tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/add_to_cart_button.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/button.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/checkout.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/continue_shopping.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/buttons/place_order.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/view.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/components/product_notification.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/components/product_images.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/products/components/product_options.tpl

/skins/basic/customer/views/categories/view.tpl

/js/previewer.js (line 88 and line 140 contain the src tags)

If you have any addons, be sure to edit all src references in the tpl files in the hooks and views directories.

Let me know if you have any questions implementing.[/QUOTE]

[quote]

The issues is going to be with product images written to the cloud instead of cs cart, the whole thing should allow the strain to be taken off the CS website, allowing for quicker MYSQL and improving googles pagespeed load time

[/quote]

Huh? What makes anyone think serving images from a cloud environment will be any faster than from the originating web-site? Remember, EVERY web site is somewhat optimized for sending content. It is the definition of a web-site.

CDN is successful for global businesses who can afford to keep copies of their content fairly localized to their users. I.e. Sears having CDN servers in Europe for different languages and local imagery makes a lot of sense rather than sending them all across the Atlantic for every request. However, very few cs-cart merchants can afford REAL CDN (nor do they have a real need for it based on traffic). Having images on a sub-domain or served up by some overloaded server is not going to help anyone.

or use maxcdn… they offer pull zones… you don’t need to send any files… it pulls from your site live if not in the zone … nice stats etc, i love it

between how to use maxcdn on cscart, which files have to modify ?

depends on the skin… i modded around 70 files here, but i have a huge template…

it speeded the things up alot… form 500ms to 2 or 5 ms per pic…

also lighter on the web servers since maxcdn is serving it.

PM if you need a quote

i think this should be hard coded and included with cs-cart since it

involves touching the core files …

please vote here

[url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-professional/suggestions/1812235-cdn-server-addon-hardcoded[/url]

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Huh? What makes anyone think serving images from a cloud environment will be any faster than from the originating web-site? Remember, EVERY web site is somewhat optimized for sending content. It is the definition of a web-site.

CDN is successful for global businesses who can afford to keep copies of their content fairly localized to their users. I.e. Sears having CDN servers in Europe for different languages and local imagery makes a lot of sense rather than sending them all across the Atlantic for every request. However, very few cs-cart merchants can afford REAL CDN (nor do they have a real need for it based on traffic). Having images on a sub-domain or served up by some overloaded server is not going to help anyone.[/quote]

I agree with you entirely, and it would have to be some serious core edits to cs-cart to support uploading images, uploaded in the admin panel to the CDN, and what if the CDN wen’t down, or something? Way too many variables of possibilities and little gain in the end.

[quote name=‘teksigns’]i think this should be hard coded and included with cs-cart since it

involves touching the core files …

please vote here

[url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-professional/suggestions/1812235-cdn-server-addon-hardcoded[/url][/QUOTE]

Your vote is gone… :???:

I use akamai for a high availability setup of CS-CART.

Whilst editing the template files as above, as well as having different url's for secure and non-secure content, we have found a very simple, yet effective way of keeping the data in-sync between the CDN and cs-cart locally.

Generally, the main problem with having a CDN is updating it with the latest files and changes you may have made. Sometimes you will do this by uploading the files directly to the CDN/bucket, other times you will rsync (if that's available for the CDN you are using) or you can mount the CDN directly into your filesystem.

I have my akamai CDN mounted on my server with js, skins, images symbolically linked (ln -s) to the newly mounted partition.

This way my CDN is always 100% fresh and up to date!

No messing around or hacking with image upload scripts or rsync or anything else like this.

Almost ALL static content is now served by Akamai!