Category/subcategory Product Position Confusion

I normally have my site sort products alphabetically which works fine 95% of the time. This causes some issues with some categories since (for SEO reasons) I need some products at the top of the page. So decided to try the position option but am still having issues. I took some products out of the main category and put them in a subcategory but they are still showing up in the main category. Is this normal? Also, I notice that if I default the list to be by product position, products in other categories are just randomly placed. Is there not a way by default for it to go to the alphabetical listing if no position is listed in that category?

I took some products out of the main category and put them in a subcategory but they are still showing up in the main category. Is this normal?

It depends on the Settings -> General -> Show products from subcategories of the selected category setting

Also, I notice that if I default the list to be by product position, products in other categories are just randomly placed. Is there not a way by default for it to go to the alphabetical listing if no position is listed in that category?

In the app/functions/fn.catalog.php file try to replace

'position' => 'products_categories.position',

with

'position' => array('products_categories.position', 'product'),

(!) Not tested