Cant Install On "Fasthosts" Linux Server, Urgent - Please Help !!!

Hello All,

I have been trying for most of the day now, to install CS Cart 2.0.6 on my fasthost server.

I have followed the installation manual to the tee !! setting all permissions as told, but still I get the “500” error :mad:

I am starting to pull my hair out now and would really appreciate some help :confused:

Thanks

PS.

I use fasthosts, and am using linux server.

The only folders Ihave for installation are:

HTDocs

Logfiles

Private

Are you uploading everything inside the htdocs folder?

Yes, everything is going into the HTDocs file … Dont understand what I am doing wrong :confused:

Are they running suphp? If so you’ll need to change all permissions to 755/644.

[quote name=‘ePlanetDesign’]Are they running suphp? If so you’ll need to change all permissions to 755/644.[/QUOTE]

:confused: Not sure what you mean? I have set permissions as per the installation manual

[quote name=‘MTHawkins’]:confused: Not sure what you mean? I have set permissions as per the installation manual[/QUOTE]

You need to ask your host if they are running suphp or something like it that requires 755 premissions on all directories and 644 on all files.

No matter what the cs manual says, If the server requires these permissions they must be set for the cart to work.

Try this, set all the files in your root to 644 and see if the 500 error goes away.

ok, stupid question but should I do that 1 time on the initial folder or do I need to go through each folder and set permissions for every sub folder & file ?

permissions for folders are separately from permissions for files, so yes, you would need to set it for each.

However, most programs (filezilla) would do it for you automatically (if you select a few files and folders, right-click and change the permissions, it should go through each one and apply)

I am using cute ftp, I think I will have to set each one as it does not look like it does it automatically.

Which folders/files need to be changed to 755/644

Thanks

Did Fasthosts confirm that you need 755/644 permissions?

If so, every single folder and every single file needs those permissions.

I use WinSCP and it works like a charm, you can select every folder and it will recursively set every folder and file to the right permissions, but it’s tricky to use if you haven’t used it before.

These settings will set every folder and every file including sub-folders.

[url]http://eplanetdesign.com/permissions.jpg[/url]

[quote name=‘ePlanetDesign’]Did Fasthosts confirm that you need 755/644 permissions?

If so, every single folder and every single file needs those permissions.

I use WinSCP and it works like a charm, you can select every folder and it will recursively set every folder and file to the right permissions, but it’s tricky to use if you haven’t used it before.[/QUOTE]

Too late in the day for Fasthosts customer services (they are closed), I will give them a call if I cant sort it tonight.

Which permissions need to be set to 755/644?

ALL folders, and all subfolders should be set to 755, and every file in every folder to 644.

I’d check error logs too.

When I load it onto the windows server it runs with no problems?

So once I have changed all the permissions can you see any reason why it would not be working?

Ok getting somewhere … changed all permissions to 755/644 … still not working !!!

So then renamed the .htaccess file, tried to open www.myurl.com/install and the installation page opened !! :smiley:

My question now is what do I need to alter in the .htaccess file for it to work again as normal? surely I cant just leave it renamed and everything will work? :confused:

OK Update:

Spoke to Fasthosts, they say that the problem is in the .htaccess file.

Main problem being that Fasthost servers will not allow all Mod_rewrite scripts.

Here is the content in the .htaccess file:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

RewriteEngine on

Some hostings require RewriteBase to be uncommented

Example:

Your store url is [url]http://www.yourcompany.com/store/cart[/url]

So “RewriteBase” should be:

RewriteBase /store/cart

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !.(png|gif|ico|swf|jpe?g|js|css)$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} ./catalog/.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.html !-f

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

What happens to cs cart if I do not use the .htaccess file at all? will it still run?

Also what do I need to change in the .htaccess for it to work properly? I have spoke to technical at Fasthosts and they sent me this link:

[url]Support Home Page

Which links to this:

[url]Support Home Page

Answers please :smiley:

If you are having troubles like this with that host, and then they give me an answer like that, I’d move to another host so fast it’d make your head spin.

Hawkhost.com has Lightspeed servers, several locations to choose from and works great with CS-Cart.

And you want mod_rewrite to work! CS-Cart does some great stuff with it.

[quote name=‘ePlanetDesign’]Hawkhost.com has Lightspeed servers, several locations to choose from and works great with CS-Cart.

And you want mod_rewrite to work! CS-Cart does some great stuff with it.[/QUOTE]

sounds good, can you help me with this problem:

When I signed up to fasthosts I got 6 months free, how do I transfer my domains to the new hosts?

I have closed my Fasthosts account !!! so on the look out for a new good quality server for my reseller package, I have about 9 domains to transfer !!! :confused: