Barcodes?

Hi All

I read that there is a barcode module for CS-CART, but if there is no ability to use CS-CART as an offline (in-store) shop, then why does this exist?

Mark

good question!

I thought the bar code thing had something to do with shipping? You scan the barcode and it would pull up the order to make shipping easier…but I could be wrong.

[QUOTE]I thought the bar code thing had something to do with shipping? You scan the barcode and it would pull up the order to make shipping easier…but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

That would be at least one common use for using barcodes as in having a handheld scanner at your shipping station to scan shipping addresses into shipping programs. Problem is, until we know exactly what information is included in the CS-Cart invoice barcode, who knows what all can be done.

I have searched high & low trying to find exactly what is included in the barcode!

Does anyone know for certain?

[quote name=‘Struck’]That would be at least one common use for using barcodes as in having a handheld scanner at your shipping station to scan shipping addresses into shipping programs. Problem is, until we know exactly what information is included in the CS-Cart invoice barcode, who knows what all can be done.

I have searched high & low trying to find exactly what is included in the barcode!

Does anyone know for certain?[/QUOTE]

Answer found in cs-cart pdf

You are provided with ability to add a barcode to your invoices. A barcode is a

machine-readable representation of information in a visual format. Barcodes stored

data in the widths and spacings of printed parallel lines. Barcodes on the invoices will

contain information about the orders.

Using the ‘Order Barcode’ tab you can edit parameters of your barcode and

consequently change its view. The tab contains three sections:

Thanks Triplex,

I know what a barcode is, and know how to turn the option on within CS-Cart, however, I still do not see any mention of exactly what specific order information is actually contained within the barcode.

[quote name=‘Struck’]Thanks Triplex,

I know what a barcode is, and know how to turn the option on within CS-Cart, however, I still do not see any mention of exactly what specific order information is actually contained within the barcode.[/QUOTE]

i think you can made this for example if you have a warehouse and your workers can scan it if the iten leave the warehouse… and so on… I will ask cs-cart directly when i buy new support time.

I just scanned the barcode. The only information in the barcode is the exact thing that is written under the barcode…

As is, it is pretty useless.

Thanks for verifying Moka!

[QUOTE]I just scanned the barcode. The only information in the barcode is the exact thing that is written under the barcode…

As is, it is pretty useless.[/QUOTE]

Right, what in the world are we supposed to do with that mumbo jumbo? :confused:

[quote name=‘moka’]I just scanned the barcode. The only information in the barcode is the exact thing that is written under the barcode…

As is, it is pretty useless.[/QUOTE]

You are sure that you used the right Scanner, i mean because the coding and so on!???

Then cs-cart must solve this bug!

barcode scanners read the bars. There are no special scanners for cs cart. Barcodes and scanners are universal. The barcodes can be in different formats, but scanners can read them all.

And you are really sure that it not works, or that it doesnt include datas from the orders?

I am sure there is no other info.

I was just looking at sunshop’s invoices. Each item has a barcode next to it. Now THAT is functional!!

A barcode can come in different formats but for basic barcodes as on supermarket tins it just gives a number.

The bar code is read as it is faster than entering manually.

In a supermarket there will then be code that goes and looks up this number in a database and gets the price etc.

A bar code reader will plug into a usb port and act as if the number has been typed on a keyboard.

The question is then how do you use this.

There are fonts that will render a number as a barcode so with a simple mod advantage could perhaps be made of this. For example on your invoice you could print the bar code of the item - assuming that you have a field for this.

It all depends on what you are trying to acheive.