bar code scanner

who uses a bar code scanner to set stuff to “despatched” etc?

Which one do you use? Will any USB scanner do it? How much coding is involved - I imagine its quite straight forward?

We’'re doing 100+ orders per day now and it is driving us INSANE having to set everything to despatched manually every night

I’m sure some of you guys are doing more orders than this… so how do you cope??

Thanks

I have been thinking about this.

As a rudimentary method, could i just open some kind of SQL command prompt and use the bar code readers as a keyboard emulator and perform something like (logic, not syntax - i don’t know jack about SQL):

Set orders_number_status (X from reader) as DESPATCHED → Enter

?

Is this idea completely stupid? There has to be a faster way to set this stuff as despatched.

OK, so how exactly do you guys despatch large volumes of items?

ok, we’re doing 200+ now in the lead up the Xmas. It is taking two men 3 hours per night to set all the stuff to despatched and release payement - overtime till 10 pm every night.

Thank god my barcode system is nearly done.

Does no one else have any interest in such a system? or maybe u already have something better?

That’s one thing I miss about x-cart… I would get an answer if i posted on the forum.

I was also curious about how people handel this. I posted another topic but the only response i got was someone telling me how to print out the orders. lol.

well, not that too many people are interested… bar code system → DONE

This will save us HOURS every day.

instead of having someone siting next to me calling orders numbers,

Just scan tracking number on parcel, scan order id on parcel label, scan weight chart - customer receives email with tracking number and parcel is added to the weight tally.

…and I also learned php in the process.

Nice one.

Sadly not the 100+ orders going out yet. But I have bookmarked this post for future reference in case I ever get there.

[quote name=‘AWSOM50’]well, not that too many people are interested… bar code system → DONE

This will save us HOURS every day.

instead of having someone siting next to me calling orders numbers,

Just scan tracking number on parcel, scan order id on parcel label, scan weight chart - customer receives email with tracking number and parcel is added to the weight tally.

…and I also learned php in the process.[/QUOTE]

Nice job, AWSOM50! I would be very interested in this… would you be willing to share what you did?