Backorders - The definitive answer?

What is the definitive answer about backorders in CS.Cart?

There are settings for backorders in the order section yet no way to make a product a backorder :confused:

Why are the statistic setting there but no function? Surely backorders is one of the top common parts of a store.

A definitive answer would be great for all who search these forums as other searches revel a lack of clarity on the issue :smiley:

CS-Cart does not currently provide a full backorder system. You can manually set an order’s status to backordered and, if you do not make partial shipments, this will automatically add the order’s items back to inventory; this will obviously mess up inventory if you make partial shipments.

It is possible that CS-Cart is working towards a per-item backorder system - you would need to contact the developers and ask them. Personally, I would be surprised to see such support before v1.3.6 earliest and we do not even have a stable v1.3.5 yet but, again, you would need to contact the developers (they do not really hang out in these forums much).

Bob

Oh I see! It’s just for orders and can’t be added to a product! Well then it’s pointless as order don’t even get through when stock is zero ???

Hmmm…me thinks an email to the top of the tree is in order :wink:

This is one of the bigger gaps in logic I see so far w/ CS-Cart (that and the immediate cookie expiration, which I have been told they’re working on a fix that will hopefully be included in SP2). The ability to process partial orders and track those partial orders w/ backordered products on the product level really is needed.

I wouldn’t expect this to become a standard function until 1.3.6 either unfortunately, and expect we need to make some noise to be sure it makes it to the 1.3.6 priority list (I made a point of this I’m sure nearly a year ago and it didn’t make the cut for 1.3.5).

Great replies guys.

It baffles me the fact that backordering isn’t in here. My business needs people to be able to backorder when a new product comes out as it’s like a reserving process before the actual releases.

It’s the thing that makes 10/10 not possible and gives 9/10 for this software.

Still…if all things in life were 9/10 I’d have a much bigger smile! :wink:

It is surprising that many shopping carts do not provide backorder support and those that do often do a poor job of it. I am hoping that when CS-Cart attacks this, they will provide a very comprehensive solution.

What am I looking for?

1. Allow the customer to designate whether or not they will accept partial shipments
  2. Mark individual items as backordered or partially shipped (customer orders 3 but you ship only 2)
  3. Capture only the amount of the shipped products for credit card transactions
  4. Retaining billing information for subsequent shipments
  5. A system which keeps backorders linked to the original order number (some backorder systems generate a new order number which I think is confusing for customers)
  6. Easy searching of backordered products for inventory allocation when backordered items are available

Bob

I agree with all your points Bob.

I’d add the following, some of which may already be there (haven’t checked):

• Accurate backorder inventory count by item
  • Reporting of ‘active’ backorders on the homepage w/ links to the original transaction.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]It is surprising that many shopping carts do not provide backorder support and those that do often do a poor job of it. I am hoping that when CS-Cart attacks this, they will provide a very comprehensive solution.

What am I looking for?

1. Allow the customer to designate whether or not they will accept partial shipments
  2. Mark individual items as backordered or partially shipped (customer orders 3 but you ship only 2)
  3. Capture only the amount of the shipped products for credit card transactions
  4. Retaining billing information for subsequent shipments
  5. A system which keeps backorders linked to the original order number (some backorder systems generate a new order number which I think is confusing for customers)
  6. Easy searching of backordered products for inventory allocation when backordered items are available

Bob[/QUOTE]

We will work on this MOD and have it ready in 5 - 7 days…

So what the MOD will do is

7. Allow the customer to designate whether or not they will accept partial shipments
  8. Mark individual items as backordered or partially shipped (customer orders 3 but you ship only 2)
  9. Capture only the amount of the shipped products for credit card transactions
  10. Retaining billing information for subsequent shipments
  11. A system which keeps backorders linked to the original order number (some backorder systems generate a new order number which I think is confusing for customers)
  1. Easy searching of backordered products for inventory allocation when backordered items are available
  2. Accurate backorder inventory count by item
  3. Reporting of ‘active’ backorders on the homepage w/ links to the original transaction.

Anything else? Feel free to add the requirements so that it gets included in one release.

Well this would be very handy :slight_smile:

My request would be a simple option which would be that a product could be marked as a backorder item with a set amount available (input box) and a reserve price set by us admins of course :slight_smile:

This would allow new products to be ordered pre-release and allow the initial delivery to be reserved to those who have backordered it.

eg. I have a new product coming and everyone wants it. But I only have 6 coming in the first batch so I setup the product with a £10/$10 deposit and the first 6 people can reserve.

Does that make sense? :cool:

Did this get produced

I was wondering the same.