Backorder Problem

I have run into a problem where a person placed an order for 5 items and I only have 2 in inventory. Normally, in this situation, the cart simply notifies the customer that there are only 2 available, and adjusts the quantity automatically in the cart. However, on this order, it allowed them to order 5 and pay for them, and then the order shows up in my cart backend with the status of “backordered.” I’ve NEVER had this before. And I have not changed any settings.

Worse, these two items were not removed from inventory, so someone from the Netherlands ordered one of these items this morning, so I am now in the position of having sold one of something to this person and have already shipped out the only two I have to the first customer. I can’t get stock of this item until the middle of August.

What happened?

Hello kingsleypress,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot tell why exactly it occurred. The problem requires examination on your server. Please contact us via Customer Help Desk and provide temporary access to your server by clicking on the Add record link on the Access information page of your Help Desk account so that we could examine the issue.

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

did you ever find out what happened? I think we recently started experiencing this too (in 2.2.4)

Check what your Order Statuses are doing to the inventory - they should impact inventory like this:

Backordered, Canceled, Declined, Failed - Increase inventory

Open, Processed, Completed (I rename this to Shipped) - Decrease inventory

[quote name='Magpie Don' timestamp='1382457719' post='170150']

Check what your Order Statuses are doing to the inventory - they should impact inventory like this:

Backordered, Canceled, Declined, Failed - Increase inventory

Open, Processed, Completed (I rename this to Shipped) - Decrease inventory

[/quote]

Thanks Magpie. Guess what, I did change backordered to 'decrease inventory' so it was probably causing the problem

Version 4.1.4

Just had it happen to me.

Customer placed order and paid but the whole order was given 'Back order' status.

All items purchased had a stock level of 1 ( pre-order placement ).

All items on order had stock levels reduced to zero.

I had to manually edit all the product listings to stock level of 1 and then change status to 'Open'

and then to 'Processed' before all was well.

The only tinkering I did today was to manually activate members in a new user group.

All statuses checked and correct ([size=4] [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Backordered, Canceled, Declined, Failed - Increase inventory[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Open, Processed, Completed (I rename this to Shipped) - Decrease inventory ).

PayPal landing page is correct ( [/font][/color][/size]http://www.MYDOMAIN…eckout.complete ).

[size=4][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Can Twigmo stuff things up at times ?[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]This is a first so 'maybe' it has to do with me activating members' user groups ???[/font][/color][/size]

Version 4.1.4
Just had it happen to me.
Customer placed order and paid but the whole order was given 'Back order' status.
All items purchased had a stock level of 1 ( pre-order placement ).
All items on order had stock levels reduced to zero.
I had to manually edit all the product listings to stock level of 1 and then change status to 'Open'
and then to 'Processed' before all was well.
[b]The only tinkering I did today was to manually activate members in a new user group.[/b]
All statuses checked and correct ([size=4] [font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Backordered, Canceled, Declined, Failed - Increase inventory[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Open, Processed, Completed (I rename this to Shipped) - Decrease inventory ).
PayPal landing page is correct ( [/font]
[/size]http://www.MYDOMAIN....eckout.complete ).
[size=4][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Can Twigmo stuff things up at times ?[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]This is a first so 'maybe' it has to do with me activating members' user groups ????[/font][/size]

this happens to me randomly even in 4.3.2. I can't figure out a way to reproduce the issue

Yes thats exactly the problem. if person places order but does not pay and open is increase inventory then all purchase products are still in stock. In that time if some else buy this product and prior customer decided to pay open order (pay order again enabled), cart cannot decrease 0 so makes backorder..

Thanks Magpie. Guess what, I did change backordered to 'decrease inventory' so it was probably causing the problem

It's a rare occurrence but it would be nice to think of it as a bug.

Off to search the bug reports.

The actual problem is that cs-cart allows to have Open increase inventory.

http://forum.cs-cart.com/tracker/issue-6375-open-status-design-flaw/

Sure in some situations it may be handy, but this also causes a lot new problems..

It's a rare occurrence but it would be nice to think of it as a bug.

Off to search the bug reports.