Australia Post Method

Hi,

Trying to figure out the AUSpost method inside CS Cart.

How exactly does it work? There aren’t really any clear instructions on it, and so far all i’ve been able to do is setup my own custom methods.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Hello magicdust,

I suggest that you should follow the instructions in the “Setting up CS-Cart with Australia Post” article of our Knowledge base: [url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

So does that mean that a different method would have to be setup for different package sizes?

If this is so, how is a customer then meant to know which parcel size to pick, if multiple ones appear?

Or is the australia post method meant to be setup for shops that will be using one package size to send to customers?

I set mine up on weight. I don’t really get how the Australia Post module is supposed to work, but either way I set up weight based rules for standard, express, and registered post.

[quote name=‘CathyG’]I set mine up on weight. [/QUOTE]

Same here. So if an item’s cubic size is going to affect it’s weight, just put the cubic weight as the item’s weight (if that makes sense).

You do have to put some sort of a measurement in when setting up Australia Post - I have mine set at 5cm x 5cm x 5cm.

Hmm it does seem a little strange to wrap my head around (i guess because i, myself, don’t have a specific method that I want to set up). We’re just trying to cover our basis and get an understanding of it entirely so that we can inform our customers when they reach the point of setting up shipping methods.

Lyn, do you have an example you could provide me with if possible?

To give you an idea, we sell weathershields. They weigh around 1.8kg. If you calculate the postage on 1.8 kg from (for example) Victoria to Queensland, on a parcel that is 5cm x 5cm x 5cm, the cost would be $15.50. However, because it is a really large parcel, Australia Post usually go on the cubic weight. So my 1.8kg parcel might measure 80cm x 40cm x 10cm and the cubic weight of that is 8kg and the cost to post would be $31.30, which is a big difference.

The cubic weight is the parcel’s volume in cubic metres multiplied by 250 (i.e. .8 x .4 x .1 x 250 = 8 for the example above).

So if the items you sell fit into this category, you would need to measure them and put the cubic weight in when setting up the product.

If the item’s actual weight is more than its cubic weight, you just put the actual weight in when setting up the product.

Depending on what you sell will determine whether you can offer the satchels or not. I think you also have the option of offering normal express post rates calculated from the Australia Post site, but these are pretty expensive and I don’t offer them because of that. An 8kg parcel sent express from Victoria to Queensland would cost $107.10 and I don’t think many people would want to pay that.

I don’t offer the satchels on our site as you are restricted by the measurements of your parcel - the weight may be OK to go in a 3kg satchel but the physical measurements of the parcel mean you can’t use it.

If you are selling something really small that would always fit in a satchel, whether it be regular post or not, you could offer all methods - it would just be a matter of restricting the weight for that particular postage method (i.e. 0g to 500g for a regular 500g satchel, then 501g to 3000g for a regular 3kg satchel, etc. and the same for express post satchels). You just have to set up a different postage method for each one.