Are we likely to see a better search?

I am wondering if it’s likely we will ever see a better search engine for cs-cart. When looking at stats then product it’s amazing to see many 0 products found when for the search phrase we definitely have something in the store. For instant someone has to type an exact match almost in order to get a product. For instance type hd450 lead into the box and nothing appears however type just hd450 and the second item is the replacement lead for hd450 headphones. Possibly losing custom due to simply not finding the product.

You should search this forum. There are plenty of modifications you can do to improve your search queries.

cmund

Something as basic as search should work very well right out of the box.

In the past I disabled search because it did such a poor job.

[quote name=‘cmund’]You should search this forum. There are plenty of modifications you can do to improve your search queries.

cmund[/QUOTE]

I have used the search function on the forum however there is nothing that appears to work for 2.1.2. Unless you can point in right direction?

Have you generated your full search phrase catalog under Admin | Addons | Quick Search as described at [URL]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

thank you for your help, this unfortunately has been generated however i still cannot achieve the correct search parameters. The regex modification no longer works for 2.1.2 and there seems to be a lack of other mods for this version of CS-CART. I’m also struggling to see any changed between all words and any words in the addon too.

The demo store search seems to work very well ([URL]Instant Demo - CS-Cart Multi-Vendor Demo Try Free for 15 days)

I searched for obscure words and phrases from product descriptions and it nailed it every time.

Remember, if you want a customer to find it through search, it is best to make sure the words (and phrases) are in your product description.

David

ask for “mac desktop” on the demo store.

It should pick it out being that there is Apple iMac G5 Desktop with 17

:-S

Search for Imac desktop and it works fine. Don’t blame the tool. Mac and Imac are two different words.

Make sure the phrases and words you chose are correct for your customers. I always fill my description with several different combinations I would expect my customers to search for.

[quote name=‘AmitP’]ask for “mac desktop” on the demo store.

It should pick it out being that there is Apple iMac G5 Desktop with 17

:-S[/QUOTE]

My search works fine I like it for my needs (i have 1000s options) I have just tried the demo and that searched out all the macs no problem with “mac desktop”

John

Cheers jonbol1 yes the quick search works well, however when hitting the enter button the cart shows no products found, not sure if you find this.

Your right…sorry didnt realise this, I always just use the quick search.

Now that is not as good as I thought. But when you go into advanced search it find them if you select any all of these words.

I am sure there was a mod on the forums ages ago (before quick search) that gotten round this problem of having to use the advanced search.

Will try see if I can find it maybe it works for 2.1 branch

JOhn

cheers johnbol, I don’t honestly know why the enter button can’t simply show the quick search items that had been listed. seems amazing to me. :slight_smile:

I could swear that people press return on my website as i can see the search queries that are used and they are not the names of my products which would suggest they didnt use the quick search suggestions.

regards