Anyone Using Social Login? How's it Going?

Just wondering if anyone is actually using the new social login feature introduced in 2.2.1 and what kind of results you are getting. Are people really willing to let your shopping cart basically become a Facebook application and let that application access their information? With all the talk about privacy concerns these days, I'm just wondering if setting this up is actually worth the effort. I started following the instructions for setting up Janrain and the further I got into it the more I wondered if it was actually worth it.

Thoughts? Experiences? I want to hear them.

Is a shame it doesn't appear in the first part of the registration form as an option.

Think it all depends on your market. If you sell things like gift items or social services, then it could be valuable. It also depends on your customers… Like most facebook postings, the vast majority is simply noise. But there are cases where it can make a customer's life easier especially if you require login to shop.

I personally would not want anything that every captured any real personal ID info about me (credit cards or even address/phone) to be tied into facebook. I just don't view facebook as the center of my universe. But I know people who do.

[quote][/quote]

Just wondering if anyone is actually using the new social login feature introduced in 2.2.1 and what kind of results you are getting. Are people really willing to let your shopping cart basically become a Facebook application and let that application access their information? With all the talk about privacy concerns these days, I'm just wondering if setting this up is actually worth the effort. I started following the instructions for setting up Janrain and the further I got into it the more I wondered if it was actually worth it.

[quote][/quote]

That's a good point kingsleypress how does having a social login helps in your store? Begin that I would like to incorporate it in my site.

One thing that I am not sure about is using a third party product in this case from Janrain ( more of a cost issue ) that seems to be a little pricey for the ROI. Would like to see CS Cart create something that is practical and proprietary.

Thanks

[quote]I just don’t view facebook as the center of my universe. But I know people who do.[/quote]

Amen on that, I believe that facebook as well as twitter are most popular with kids or people that choose to waste their lives doing non-productive things, like talking about what they should be doing instead of actually doing it! :idea: :-)

Momma says Facebook is the devil. She also says that Alligators are honorary because they have all them teeth and no tooth brush.

Wow kingsleypress. Isn’t fun to get feedback here on these forums sometimes? You may have better luck asking folks on Facebook. :grin:

We do not use any logins from social sites at this time. We have considered it, but I the others have not quite convinced me of it yet. To me it just does not make much sense so it has made it difficult for me to decide to use it on one of our sites. I do know that tons of people do like to use FB. The part that baffles me is I am just not quite for sure who would find it more convenient to just use the FB login. Personally I use a different username and pw for everything. So again, it just keeps me hesitant.

I actually do use Facebook for personal and business. On the personal side it has been a lot of fun catching up with old friends, many of which I have not seen since high school. On the business side we have only had some success with one of our sites so far. We have just started trying to figure it out for others. We did strike down the shopping cart on FB idea, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work for others. For those who believe that people “waste time” on FB, yes some of them probably do, just as they do on this forum. But there are still people there that have needs, want things and in the end they spend money too!

The part that baffles me is why some of the techies seem to be so against FB when they have been doing the same kind of stuff on forums like this for years!

[quote]For those who believe that people “waste time” on FB, yes some of them probably do, just as they do on this forum.[/quote]

I am not wasting time while visiting the CS-Cart forum Clips, I visit 2-3 times per day or night for educational as well as personal amusement benefits, can’t go wrong. :)

I def. think it's handy to be able to login to a shop with one click. The button should be next to register / sign in though.

Jim, good points… As I'm probably one of the “techies” you refer to, I'll respond.

I think FB (like any other application or environment) has its purpose and its value. Unfortunately FB (like many other businesses) forget their roots and what made them popular to begin with and go off to try and push their envelope to other areas.

To address specifically FB… In doing that “stretch”, I think they are ouside their domain. I.e. they are a connection point and is good at linking people together for social purposes. I advertised on FB about 2 years ago targeting anyone who had Web or Developer in their profile. Out of many thousands of impressions, there were zero clicks. That's Zero, 0, ZERO. This told me a lot about people's interest in doing things on FB that are not sociall/circle related. I.e. zero.

But this thread is really about what's been commonly referred to in the industry as “single login”. I've been in this business for over 30 years. And single login has been a goal for that whole period of time. When domain names came on board (yes, I remember transition from Usenet to Internet) that was to be the answer to everything.

So the FB login (and Janrain specifically) is all about registring credentials at a single point and then being able to use those credentials to login to a variety of different site. FB credentials is just one of the sources for credentials.

What FB has going for it is that people believe that if it's something FB then it must be relatively simple and relatively easy from a user perspevctive. Saying “login with your FB account credentials” is much more straightforward and understandable to most than “create a single login account”.

What FB has going against it is their countless privacy policy updates, changes to security that require user involvement and the general sense that they are pimps and will sell your info to anyone who is willing to pay for it.

So a single login concept is good but like I said has struggled to become adopted for a long, long time even in the techie community.

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1311023203' post='117601']

[/quote]

Its really not making your store into facebook. Its all abaout going with the flow and let the costomer deside how to shop. You also let people know that you site is ut to date and this site follow the change of times.