Anyone looked at Dwolla? (PayPal alternative)

Just curious to know if anyone has used Dwolla or if it is going to be available as a payment option for CS. It sounds like a great alternative to PayPal since they just charge a flat 25 cent transaction fee per money received and THAT’S IT! No other charges. Sounds pretty good to me.

[url]https://www.dwolla.com/[/url]

I don’t think it’s necessarily a PayPal alternative. It seems to me that it is only an account to account transactions and no credit card processing.

PayPal has name recognition. That goes a long way in instilling customer confidence. I’d be very reluctant to provide my personal info to a payment provider that I never heard of. I’m sure Grandma would be even more cautious.

Well everyone has to start somewhere. Back in the day PayPal didn’t process cards either. It was almost identical to Dwolla. And back in the day when scams were rampant PayPal screwed over quite a bit of people. So there are a lot of PayPal haters out there.

I wouldn’t ever give up PayPal as an alternative but the transaction costs are quite a bit lower. And it sure doesn’t hurt that PayPal has another competitor. Though even Google Checkout hasn’t really “taken off” IMHO.

I think google checkout failed when it hiked it prices up to the point where there was no difference to using pay pal for sellers. If they had kept it lower there might be a reason for seller to use it. I dont know if it’s pricing has changed since

[quote name=‘mrfoameruk’]I think google checkout failed when it hiked it prices up to the point where there was no difference to using pay pay for sellers. If they had kept it lower there might be a reason for seller to use it. I dont know if it’s pricing has changed since[/QUOTE]

Going to check into API integration for Dwolla and see if it can’t do the job for less.

I think Google thought they could take off by it being a payment option on eBay. But eBay obviously thought that was a bad idea since they own PayPal.

In comparison, I always thought Google Checkout was faster than paying with PayPal. Just seemed almost as easy as Amazon’s One Click style purchase. But I’m wondering how well PayPal’s new system is going to work since they are saying a faster way to pay is coming. I foresee some similarities coming.

On a side note, trying to contest a charge through Google is NOT user friendly like on PayPal. I had to do this a few months ago and it was a PITA.

I thinks it’s always good to have options on my site…and for them to have competition in the payment world.

[QUOTE]I think google checkout failed when it hiked it prices up to the point where there was no difference to using pay pal for sellers.[/QUOTE]

No, Google Checkout failed the minute they decided to no longer continue offering this bubblegum crap service for free!

I think many would agree that Google Checkout was never considered to be a legitimate contender as a business level payment processing option, it was & still is nothing but bubblegum beginners level crap.

It requires far too much site owner intervention, not to mention all the problems they had with the 2 second shipping rates call (aka: free shipping to the customers BS)!

We tried it out thoroughly back when it was 1st introduced and dropped it even while they were still offering free payment processing (in an effort to buy into Paypal’s market)!

Google would have to pay me dearly to use their service because it is an absolute waste of my time! :wink:

And as far as Dwolla, well, I think it is great that some new competitors are jumping on board for payment processing, however, no… Personally I would never enter my payment details into a processor that I am not quite familiar with, but yes, they have to start somewhere, so good luck to them!

Now, Amazon Checkout I am interested in trying out as an alternative method in the very near future!

I hope CS-Cart looking into this.

Think about it, CS-Cart could be one of the first cart programs to offer Dwalla. :-)

Development Completed.

Dwolla looks very interesting for US shops.

Good website, good apps, and I have heard good stuff about it.They do not use credit cards for funding they can offer very secure services for very little money.

In Europe there is not much use for it though, here bank transfers are usually free within the EU and banks have good apps to transfer money. I'd love to use it to transfer money outside the EU though instead of $$$$Paypal.