Another Upgrade Issue

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I installed a fresh copy of the 2.0.15 in a test directory so I can upgrade to the current version. I took a backed up copy of the database & placed it in the same sub-directory. When I tried to import the “Products” I got the following error:[/COLOR]

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 252642150 bytes) in /home/affyours/public_html/CS_2.12_Upgrade/cscart_v.2.0.15/core/fn.common.php on line 2571

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Any idea of what I need to do ?[/COLOR]

[quote name=‘DawnG’][COLOR=DarkOrchid]I installed a fresh copy of the 2.0.15 in a test directory so I can upgrade to the current version. I took a backed up copy of the database & placed it in the same sub-directory. When I tried to import the “Products” I got the following error:[/COLOR]

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 252642150 bytes) in /home/affyours/public_html/CS_2.12_Upgrade/cscart_v.2.0.15/core/fn.common.php on line 2571

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Any idea of what I need to do ?[/COLOR][/quote]

it’s your server, not CS-Cart.

This error is posted all over the forum, need to get your webhost to increase the available ram to your account.

Probably a good first start is to look in config.local.php for a line that looks similar to:

ini_set(‘memory_size’, ‘48M’);

and change it to be ‘128M’.

Then see if the error persists. The error your seeing is a PHP error, not a system error.

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Thanks guys…I had a feeling it had to do with the server. I recently increased the local.config number in my main site, but didn’t think to do it in the test directory.

I did change that, and I am getting the “Loading - Your request is being processed, please wait”. That stays for almost a minute and then nothing happens at all. Definitely looks like a ram problem, and I will have to request some upgrade until I finish this project[/COLOR]

Are you running on a shared server or a VPS? On a shared server, RAM should not be an issue, but overloading of the server by the hosting company could be. On a VPS, you might be restricted in the amount of RAM that you have configured.

But at least now you’re beyond the memory_limit issue…

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Are you running on a shared server or a VPS? On a shared server, RAM should not be an issue, but overloading of the server by the hosting company could be. On a VPS, you might be restricted in the amount of RAM that you have configured.

But at least now you’re beyond the memory_limit issue…[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Right now I am on a shared…and I have a sinking feeling they are in essence overloading the server because my site is running much slower now than it was with a VPS hosted by my former host and friend. I have definitely noticed some speed issues. I asked them if there was a possibility to increase the ram, at least while I do the upgrade. Will hear from them tomorrow.

Yes the memory limit was an easy hurdle…and I sincerely thank you for your help. I feel a bit less stressed knowing I am not alone with all this hanging over me[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I added a php ram limit of 256M to my .htaccess as suggested by my host, but I am still getting a continual “Loading” when trying to import the database.

I am about ready to quit this entire upgrading process. I have been trying for over a week, and it takes a day or two to get any answers from my host company when I ask for help…and each time either it does not help or they say as they did today, it is beyond their limit of understanding of this cart.

I just don’t know what to do anymore…[/COLOR].:cry:

You could pay someone to do it. I’m available as well as Jesse and probably a few others.

[quote name=‘The Tool’]You could pay someone to do it. I’m available as well as Jesse and probably a few others.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]If I was making money I wouldn’t hesitate…but I have gone from $1500 - $4000 a week down to $14.00 in the past 2 weeks. I am virtually out of business and it’s been like this for about a year and a half. That is why I had to take a dive in hosting quality because I was not even making enough to stay with my beloved host and friend.

Thanks so much for the suggestion…I have you guys in mind for when I can actually see a light at the end of this very dark tunnel[/COLOR] :frowning:

[QUOTE]If I was making money I wouldn’t hesitate…but I have gone from $1500 - $4000 a week down to $14.00 in the past 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

My goodness Dawn, this certainly cannot be based entirely on the conditions of the economy, have you been able to determine the other causes of why your business has completely fallen off? :frowning:

If you are able to post your store URL, maybe some of us can give some helpful suggestions to get you back up & running again! If not then that is understandable.

[quote name=‘Struck’]My goodness Dawn, this certainly cannot be based entirely on the conditions of the economy, have you been able to determine the other causes of why your business has completely fallen off? :frowning:

If you are able to post your store URL, maybe some of us can give some helpful suggestions to get you back up & running again! If not then that is understandable.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]You are such a sweetheart…let me be the first to tell you :smiley:

I changed over to CS-Cart from X-Cart last January, and almost immediately traffic started falling off from appx 1000 visitors a day to eventually under 100. Shortly after I found out about the “caffeine” shake up in Google, and attributed the loss of visitors to needing some heavy duty up to date SEO…which I spent weeks doing. After that I did see a small increase, and it has taken me since then to get the majority of my pages indexed by Google…or at least that is the way I interpret the results. I am no expert for sure…

I deleted many many items and added probably just as many as I deleted…so the site changed a bit. And then we had to apply the permanent redirect to the new cart.

I don’t know if it is the way CS-Cart handles SEO, or if it was some huge blunder on my part, but my traffic went down 90% and I lost about 95% of my income. It is normally slow around the holidays for wedding vendors like me, but this past season was as bleak as you could imagine, and although we are usually busy this time of year in good times, right now there is nothing whatsoever.

I would be ever so thankful if you took a quick look around and let me know what you see may be wrong. I have been on the web for over 13 years, and haven’t really changed my MO or anything else except for the shopping cart:[/COLOR]

http://www.affectionately-yours.com

[QUOTE]You are such a sweetheart…let me be the first to tell you :smiley: [/QUOTE]

Thank you for noticing Dawn, I truly am sweet, and I also think your purple text is hot, lol! :wink:

Now, down to business!

Any time you have an established online site generated a nice level of visitors (and more importantly income), and then decide to make a change as major as switching to an entirely different cart platform, it is critical that alot of thought is put into properly redirecting all of your old store url’s to your new url structure via 301 redirects. I have a strong feeling the redirects were only partially done, and maybe the importance of the redirects was somewhat minimized.

It is So Critical that this is done properly to retain your site rankings/level of visitors.

(I am certain that you already realize this.)

The other way I like to look at it, is if your current site design/layout, is “working well the way it is”, then try to duplicate your past design into your new store platform as closely as possible (you already know it works & your customers obviously feel comfortable with it, so attempt to give them the familiarity they are accustomed to when shopping on your site).

Regardless of all these past tense details, it has been almost exactly one year since you made this switch, so we need to focus more on what can now be done to improve things, right? :wink:

I will take a close look at your site when I get a chance (certainly not before the NFL playoff games are over …) and try to make some helpful suggestions, I am sure some others will offer some help as well.

Btw, don’t for one second believe that the reason your store has fallen off was simply because you switched from x-trash to cs, it is all about the other details of the switch, the economy, etc., etc. :wink:

Quick Question, how many unique visitors are you getting right now?

[quote name=‘DawnG’][COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]You are such a sweetheart…let me be the first to tell you[/COLOR] :D[/QUOTE]

As an old man I have learned to be careful of what and what not to say to females.

With that said, be careful DawnG…Struck is a female who likes females. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Thank you for noticing Dawn, I truly am sweet, and I also think your purple text is hot, lol![/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Nice distraction ;)[/COLOR]

[quote name=‘Struck’]Now, down to business!

Any time you have an established online site generated a nice level of visitors (and more importantly income), and then decide to make a change as major as switching to an entirely different cart platform, it is critical that alot of thought is put into properly redirecting all of your old store url’s to your new url structure via 301 redirects. I have a strong feeling the redirects were only partially done, and maybe the importance of the redirects was somewhat minimized.

It is So Critical that this is done properly to retain your site rankings/level of visitors.

(I am certain that you already realize this[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I am so very sure you are right about this. I was and still am a novice when it comes to SEO…so I asked my friend and host at the time how I should handle that…and unless I am mistaken he was extremely busy and didn’t provide much direction with this. I was ready to take weeks (and I mean weeks with about 1500 items) to do all 301’s by hand…but instead more than likely made a grave mistake just doing the most popular items…and then a general redirect from the subdirectory where X-Cart was to the main directory where CS-Cart now was.[/COLOR]

[quote name=‘Struck’]The other way I like to look at it, is if your current site design/layout, is “working well the way it is”, then try to duplicate your past design into your new store platform as closely as possible (you already know it works & your customers obviously feel comfortable with it, so attempt to give them the familiarity they are accustomed to when shopping on your site).[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I did do this…word for word almost exactly…cut and paste all item descriptions and titles. But when I did the emergency SEO work shortly after implementing the new cart, I made sure every item and category was laden with keywords. This was something I was not concerned about previously for we were busy, but at this point I felt it was life or death…and I dug right in. the thing that bothers me the most is the the most popular pages coming in from Google is a few “Helpful Hints” pages for planning a wedding. There is only a handful of keywords that bring in visitors as opposed to countless opportunities beforehand :confused: [/COLOR]

[quote name=‘Struck’]Regardless of all these past tense details, it has been almost exactly one year since you made this switch, so we need to focus more on what can now be done to improve things, right?

I will take a close look at your site when I get a chance (certainly not before the NFL playoff games are over …) and try to make some helpful suggestions, I am sure some others will offer some help as well.

Btw, don’t for one second believe that the reason your store has fallen off was simply because you switched from x-trash to cs, it is all about the other details of the switch, the economy, etc., etc. ;)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]It is obviously too late to fix past mistakes, and I hang my head in shame. Too bad I had to learn from a bad experience. I hope there is a chance for recovery…

I appreciate yours and anyone else’s suggestions more than you can know. Enjoy your football, and just let me know what you think whenever you have time[/COLOR] :slight_smile:

[QUOTE]Struck is a female who likes females.[/QUOTE]

Only as a last resort! :smiley:

Off to watch my Steelers game!

[quote name=‘The Tool’]As an old man I have learned to be careful of what and what not to say to females.

With that said, be careful DawnG…Struck is a female who likes females. :wink: :p[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Un-huh…ok thanks Tool :slight_smile: And watch that sexist stuff LOL[/COLOR]

[quote name=‘Struck’]

Quick Question, how many unique visitors are you getting right now?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I can’t honestly tell you…it fluctuates. It’s not helping that my new hosts server seems to have some issues (A2 Hosting), and I keep losing all my stats. 90% of the time I am still under 100 visitors according to the CS stats…but Webalizer is telling me about an average of about 700 a day. Don’t know which to believe or if either is the least bit reliable. I have to admit I really don’t have any idea now[/COLOR] :frowning:

Back to topic… Why are you importing a database during upgrade?

The upgrade should be modifying the tables you have,.

Can you elaborate on the upgrade process you are using? I would strongly suggest that you use the standard “upgrade center” process and not use the personal favorites of others unless you have problems there.

If you loaded a 2.0.15 clean install and are taking your data from a different 2.0.15 site then you should be fine. How are you “importing”?

Now, if you guys are all done teasing and taunting each other, let’s talk about upgrade problems! :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Back to topic… Why are you importing a database during upgrade?

The upgrade should be modifying the tables you have,.

Can you elaborate on the upgrade process you are using? I would strongly suggest that you use the standard “upgrade center” process and not use the personal favorites of others unless you have problems there.

If you loaded a 2.0.15 clean install and are taking your data from a different 2.0.15 site then you should be fine. How are you “importing”?

Now, if you guys are all done teasing and taunting each other, let’s talk about upgrade problems! :-)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Actually…this is a lot of problems loaded into one :slight_smile:

I have a fresh copy of 2.0.15 in a test directory…and I am trying to import a backed up copy of my live 2.0.15 database. Once imported I am going to upgrade through admin the usual way. But for some reason whenever I try to import that database, I get “Loading” at at top which goes on for about a minute and then stops…but then nothing happens. I have increased the ram megabytes as suggested, but I still cannot import it. It’s pretty sad when i can’t even get to first base with an upgrade…I wonder if that is a BAD omen[/COLOR] :rolleyes:

[quote name=‘DawnG’][COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Actually…this is a lot of problems loaded into one :slight_smile:

I have a fresh copy of 2.0.15 in a test directory…and I am trying to import a backed up copy of my live 2.0.15 database. Once imported I am going to upgrade through admin the usual way. But for some reason whenever I try to import that database, I get “Loading” at at top which goes on for about a minute and then stops…but then nothing happens. I have increased the ram megabytes as suggested, but I still cannot import it. It’s pretty sad when i can’t even get to first base with an upgrade…I wonder if that is a BAD omen[/COLOR] :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Transfer the db via cPanel (if available) instead of using the cart software.