An interesting thing happened with Paypal

Has anyone ever had this happen before? A customer purchased two items from my site and paid using Paypal a total of $253.35. The invoice was automatically marked as processed.

I was unable to supply one of the items he purchased and emailed him and he chose a different item with a price difference of $50.00. On going to refund his Paypal account with the $50.00, I discovered the actual amount of the payment received was $2.20. The first item, which should have shown as $59.95 and does show at that price on my CS-Cart invoice is showing in Paypal at .15 cents. The second item, which should have shown $179.95, is showing in Paypal at .55 cents. The shipping cost should have shown at $13.45 but is showing in Paypal at $1.50, which is the receipted delivery charge I add to the Australia Post automatic calculation.

The phone number of the person is not a valid number. However, his email address is valid as I did receive a confirmation that he was happy with the substitution when I emailed him.

Has this been a glitch with CS-Cart or has the buyer been able to change the totals in Paypal somehow?

I always check my Paypal payments before sending orders, but this is a warning to other CS-Cart users who use Paypal to double check your payments before sending out your orders.

I would be interested to know if anyone has experienced this before or if anyone can offer any explanation as to how this could have happened.

I still run 1.3.4 sp4 and checked and can not see how that could have been done, every dollar is passed over to paypal exact with shipping and surcharge.

Does it do it now if you duplicated oreder with refund? Or even test out and see what you come up with, the 1.3.4 version is better I think right now then the 2.07

I am still using 1.3.5 SP4 and I haven’t had this happen before, even though I have issued refunds and changed orders before. I am unable to duplicate the scenario to check as I can’t pay for a test order using my own Paypal account.

If someone pays an amount using their Paypal account, the amount is paid, no matter what happens to their order, so I feel that somehow the person changed the amount they were paying. I am not sure if it is possible, when you pay for something with Paypal, to actually change the amount you are paying to make it different to the invoice. However, it does seem strange that this has happened to someone who has put an incorrect phone number in their account and who is now not answering their emails.

Not a bad way for someone to get over $200 worth of items for $2.

I’m glad I make it a habit of checking all my Paypal payments before sending anything out.

This is very important that the “gurus” have a look,as i use only paypal in my websites,it would be a drama if someone can change the invoice values!!!maybe your site has been hacked and you don’t know…

Hi

Am not 100% sure but this has already been on the forum, so have a search and you will find.

It is a paypal problem and not CSCart problem. Again not 100%

LOL

Yeah… The guy you are talking to make this intentional.

I can decrypt the session ID when sending it to Paypal and have paypal accept the payment amount that I put in. Quite frankly it’s a glitch in Paypal and the way that URLs are handled.

Long Story is that you need to check all payments that you recieve regardless of trust.

Short Story is that you should be doing this anyway :wink:

Congrats on the find there Lyn, someone tried to pull that trick on me for South East Auto… didn’t work out too well for them

I very rarely issue refunds because our items are special and only certain buyers use our site but on any refunds I would audit the whole transaction every time anyways and stay in that habit but make backups daily and refer to a backup to see orginal transaction if you are suspicius then restore back to see if there is a difference but refunds always is a pain anyways

I always check my Paypal payments but I will definitely be checking the Paypal payment both before and after issuing a refund in the future. However, I don’t think it was the refund that had anything to do with it (see Jesse’s post above). Whether you change the total of the invoice in CS-Cart or not, the Paypal payment should stay the same. I have issued refunds and changed invoices before without this happening.

The upshot is that you should always check the payment in your Paypal account to make sure the amount paid is what it should be and also that the payment has been completed. If someone told you they had paid the money direct to your bank account, you wouldn’t send their order out without checking your bank account and I think the same should apply to Paypal.

Strange how I got a reply to my email asking if he was happy with substitution of the product and a $50 refund but have had no reply to any of my emails regarding his under payment. If he did pay the correct amount and had been informed his payment was only showing at $2.20, you would think he would be getting in touch with me as soon as possible.

So … a lesson for everyone. Check your Paypal payments. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Do you not get an email confirmation from PayPal when a transaction is processed? If not, you need to configure it in PayPal.

Yes I do get an email from Paypal but most times I just ignore it and delete it as I always check my Paypal account before sending orders out. This is the first time this has happened to me but I will be checking all Paypal emails in future.

I just thought it was worth mentioning as it could happen to anyone. I will give the guy a couple more days to respond and have sent him another email just in case it is an honest mistake on his part and it was a glitch with Paypal. However, if I don’t hear back from him, I will presume it was intentional on his part and hope he doesn’t succeed in trying this out on anyone else.

Now the question is … do I refund his $2.20 or not!??

LOL!!! Depends on if it was a PayPal fault or if the “customer” hacked it in some way.? If PayPal fault, then refund. If not, then adminstrative/pain in the a$$ fee. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just as a final follow up to this - I just checked my deleted items folder and there was the email from Paypal notifying me of the payment of $2.20.

So this definitely had nothing to do with giving the refund or CS-Cart (or probably even Paypal). He probably thought all his Christmases had come at once when I offered to refund him $50.00 for taking the different product!

[quote name=‘Lyn’]Just as a final follow up to this - I just checked my deleted items folder and there was the email from Paypal notifying me of the payment of $2.20.

So this definitely had nothing to do with giving the refund or CS-Cart (or probably even Paypal). He probably thought all his Christmases had come at once when I offered to refund him $50.00 for taking the different product![/QUOTE]

I think you are losing sight of the fact that you were being ripped off, Christmas day every day for these people.

I agree Barry. But luckily I wasn’t ripped off as I checked and no-one will ever succeed in using this method to get something for nothing from me in the future. And hopefully the people on the forum who have viewed this message and the ones who may view it in the future will also be able to avoid being ripped off by people like this … which is the main reason I posted the message in the first place.

Also, I know it’s not much, but he has lost $2.20 for his effort!!

[quote name=‘Lyn’]I agree Barry. But luckily I wasn’t ripped off as I checked and no-one will ever succeed in using this method to get something for nothing from me in the future. And hopefully the people on the forum who have viewed this message and the ones who may view it in the future will also be able to avoid being ripped off by people like this … which is the main reason I posted the message in the first place.

Also, I know it’s not much, but he has lost $2.20 for his effort!![/QUOTE]

Wasn’t being insultive, every penny counts, we all work hard for what we get!!!

Paypal MUST resolve this!

[quote name=‘Lyn’]Yes I do get an email from Paypal but most times I just ignore it and delete it as I always check my Paypal account before sending orders out. This is the first time this has happened to me but I will be checking all Paypal emails in future.

I just thought it was worth mentioning as it could happen to anyone. I will give the guy a couple more days to respond and have sent him another email just in case it is an honest mistake on his part and it was a glitch with Paypal. However, if I don’t hear back from him, I will presume it was intentional on his part and hope he doesn’t succeed in trying this out on anyone else.

Now the question is … do I refund his $2.20 or not!??[/QUOTE]

I would recommend you also check email not only for the correct amount but also for shipping address. Buyer can type any shipping address in checkout but paypal does not allow to set other country then your billing address (not sure if this applies to US accounts).

Any one knows if this paypal glitch can happen in other websites?e.g ebay?

[quote name=‘gabrieluk’]Any one knows if this paypal glitch can happen in other websites?e.g ebay?[/QUOTE]

Did this happen with

website payments or paypal express checkout

Ebay uses express checkout.

I’d say it is website payments. It looks nothing like the screen I get if I purchase anything on Ebay and pay for it using Paypal. I just enabled it in CS-Cart when I first started. Does it make a difference as to whether the amount can be altered or not?

[quote name=‘Lyn’]I’d say it is website payments. It looks nothing like the screen I get if I purchase anything on Ebay and pay for it using Paypal. I just enabled it in CS-Cart when I first started. Does it make a difference as to whether the amount can be altered or not?[/QUOTE]

It makes a difference to checkout process in general. PayPal express checkout is a replacement for standard checkout in your shop. Customer does not have to fill his details, information in paypal profile is used. In standard cs checkout all information is gathered on your shop during checkout and this data is transmitted to paypal then.