Advice on site design

Hi there,

I am a newbie to csCart, but so far am just loving it to pieces!!! (and I hope I am posting this in the right place)

Currenttly I am using the community (free) edition of the software, so my customization has been to the basic template. We've edited as much as we could to make it match the software we were originally going to use. Problem is the site still seems lame, like it's missing some zip.

I'm wondering if maybe some of you all might take a look at it and make some suggestions on how I can make the site 'pop', look cute and friendly, etc.

My csCart install is at: www.printedperfection.com/shop

The theme I was trying to match (which I am not 'married' to if someone has an awesome suggestion) is at: www.printedperfection.com. I started tweaking this site the way I wanted it and stopped when I found csCart, so it's not a full picture of the look I am trying to achieve but might give some idea.

I really need help in this area and very much appreciate any input. I want to go live in about 10 days.

Thanks so much,

Jeanne

[quote name='PrintedPerfection' timestamp='1314557806' post='120519']

I'm wondering if maybe some of you all might take a look at it and make some suggestions…

[/quote]

I suggest you to create an account on https://browserlab.adobe.com so you can view your site on IE6/7/8/9

is free. your site looks messy in IE6/IE7.

Also you can learn from the templates on the professional demo, so you get ideas how to customize the header.

[quote name='colortone' timestamp='1314654603' post='120589']

I suggest you to create an account on https://browserlab.adobe.com so you can view your site on IE6/7/8/9

is free. your site looks messy in IE6/IE7.

Also you can learn from the templates on the professional demo, so you get ideas how to customize the header.

[/quote]

Thank you, I will look at the demos again, I just don't know how to do all the css on them. I also looked at the site using Adobe and it does look funny, but when I look at it through browsershots.org it shows fine. I don't understand that part.

Do you use firebug? the firefox extension? give it a try.

[quote name='colortone' timestamp='1314665925' post='120601']

Do you use firebug? the firefox extension? give it a try.

[/quote]

I am trying that now. Just got on the computer to see what I can do with it. =)

Well try to play with search filed. Put it the same way you had it. You will find it in the top tpl files. Just cut the whole div and put In the right place. You will have to play with CSS positions and if you want also the lens graphic. for that you can use Firebug. ITS a must for all web designers. You tweak and then you copy the code to your file.

Also try to lose the category dropdown list. it's useless. instead you can download and install the two free addons from shippingkit.com.

I would also try to move the mini cart to the top where you have the phone number.Looks much better.

Then do some small tweaks like link colors, borders for lists (underneath) etc.

Actually it's a 3 hour job to match that design exactly.

Well you could for starters move the search field on the same position and discard the categories drop down list. That you can find in the files called top.tpl and the div is top-search. Cut that and put it and paste it wherever you like in the File. You will have to do some CSS tweaks for the position also.

As said before Firebug is very essential for stuff like that.

Then you could also move the cart icon where you have the phone , and discard that blue line. Try also to fix in the same color range all links and put borders in the ul.

Actually its not very hard . I would say about 2 or 3 hours job to make it look like the old one.