Abandoned cart follow up email

I just set up a Big Commerce site and saw that they have a feature which automatically sends an email follow up to anyone who adds a product to the cart but does not purchase. The email includes links to the products they added and can be scheduled so that it is sent after X time period.

Seems like a good feature so I am wondering if anyone has written a similar addon for CS Cart.

Unless you require your users to register, there is no contact information associated with a cart. Hence, no way to notify.

I think what is happening is if someone starts the checkout process and gets to the point where they enter their contact info, Big Commerce is storing that, using it for the email.

[quote name='novista' timestamp='1348709561' post='145849']

I think what is happening is if someone starts the checkout process and gets to the point where they enter their contact info, Big Commerce is storing that, using it for the email.

[/quote]

So, the problem with that is a customer would have to enter at minimum there email address “before” they could even add items to the cart, as a consumer that would most likely trigger a red flag for me, as it is unnatural & I would then know “exactly” why they are requiring my email address prior to actually registering & checking out. Quite often an “abandoned cart” is meaningless because a site visitor uses the cart as a tool to calculate shipping costs, quantity discounts, taxes, etc., then comes back hours or days later to complete the purchase.

Struck, not sure I read that scenario from his response. I thought he said that “if” the customer gets to the email address in checkout…

This discussion has been done many times. Reality is that 90% of abandoned cards don't have any contact info. That's usually the point when they bail.

I agree with Struck, a lot of times people are price shopping however but I suspect that is for things like consumer goods or items that are can be easily found anywhere. I am not sure that applies to specialty or professional products. I know of another store owner who sells products directly to the medical profession and he does contact those who have abandoned their carts. He's very polite about it and just asks if they had a problem during checkout or if they had any additional questions. He does get sales from that. I think it helps that he signs his name and gives his number so it does have a personal feel.

I also have specialty site for professionals and have also recovered abandoned carts too. If it is done with respect and has a personal feel, it will help.

tbirnset is right, the discussion has been done. I just thought it would be a good addon.

But the point was that unless the user is a registered user (either during checkout or before), there is NO contact info for them unless they have gone past the Login/Contact info step in checkout. Hence there's no way known to contact them. This is 90% of what you'll find on the abandoned carts page.

Yes, I understand, its a pretty low percentage however, my products range from $150 to $10000 in price. One recovered sale should cover the cost. Anyway, I was just asking if such an addon exists. I know that for a developer spend that kind of time on speculation is a lot and right now, I'm not asking!

Speaking of which…Ask an Expert: Appropriate to Send Remarketing Emails to Guest Shoppers? - Practical Ecommerce