A Few Questions on Images

1. When a product is created and later deleted, does its image live on, or is it automatically deleted from the server?

2. If several products use the same image (and were each assigned that image by browsing the local computer), do multiple copies of that image get placed on the server, or do they share the same one?

3. If I need to upload a number of images via FTP, does CS Cart require me to throw them all into the “Images” folder, or can/should I keep them organized by separating them into different folders according to category, sub category, etc.

4. Does it make any difference from a SEO perspective to give my images meaningful names (most of my images already are named using the manufacturers I.D. number which makes it pretty easy to specify the image URL in Excel)?

5. I didn't see any option for uploading the “Alt Text” of an image when doing a CSV import. Is this the case, or am I not seeing it?

[quote name='MFD' timestamp='1362830338' post='157307']

1. When a product is created and later deleted, does its image live on, or is it automatically deleted from the server?

[/quote]

Yes the product image gets deleted

[quote]

2. If several products use the same image (and were each assigned that image by browsing the local computer), do multiple copies of that image get placed on the server, or do they share the same one?

[/quote]

Multiple get placed on server as far as i know

[quote]

3. If I need to upload a number of images via FTP, does CS Cart require me to throw them all into the “Images” folder, or can/should I keep them organized by separating them into different folders according to category, sub category, etc.

[/quote]

Throw them where you want, cs grabs them and puts them in there own sub folders, *note this is where when you set up your store you may want to increase the number of files stored in a folder to a higher number or not.

[quote]

4. Does it make any difference from a SEO perspective to give my images meaningful names (most of my images already are named using the manufacturers I.D. number which makes it pretty easy to specify the image URL in Excel)?

[/quote]

Definately using part numbers and name as accurately to describe your product as possible to what is being searched for

[quote]

5. I didn't see any option for uploading the “Alt Text” of an image when doing a CSV import. Is this the case, or am I not seeing it?

[/quote]

this goes in the spreadsheet in the detailed image field after.jpeg like below

.jpg#{[EN]:Regatta RG157 Black;}

That is my alt tag for a regatta rg157 bag in black

John

Hey John,

MANY thanks! Just a few quick follow ups…

I just did a little experiment and uploaded a file containing an image, placing it in the “images” folder. Once the import was done, I checked to make sure it was there on the site and sure enough it was. Then I deleted that folder and the image remained on the site. So I assume that the folder I uploaded was just taking up space and was no longer needed, correct?

I really thought that the last question I asked was a total shot in the dark. I never imagined that it would be so easy to add the alt text! I think it would be a lot easier for me to just grab the product description itself and concatenate it to the end of the image path for my Alt Text. Easy Peezy!

Speaking of Alt Text, I had thought that this was a “behind the scenes” device, used in case the image wasn't available. I didn't realize that it would appear on the image detail when it gets clicked on. Is this something that can be edited in the CSS? I'd like to possibly center the the text so it reads more like a title to the image and perhaps play with it's font size/style.

Finally, could you expand on this statement:

[center]“*note this is where when you set up your store you may want to increase the number of files stored in a folder to a higher number or not.”[/center]

When all is said and done I'll likely have over 10,000 products on the site, many of them with several images. How do you envision setting things up?

Follow up…

I just created a sample product and added 3 additional images. I then exported the images to a CSV file to I could reverse engineer the format that I should use to do multiple image imports.

I can see that the “pair type” field needs to be set to “M” or “A” (main or additional I assume), but I didn't see any chance to order the additional images. There is a “position” field which I thought would fit the bill, but all 4 images has a zero assigned to this field.

While I'm on the subject of images, I see that CS cart gives the user a chance to upload their own thumbnails. So long as I'm happy with how CS Cart re-sizes my main images to create my thumbnails, is there any practical reason to upload my own (load time performance etc.)?

Bump… Any other opinions???

Didnt see the last reply

No leave the thumbnail field empty

Add your positioning 0 being low and 100 being high before import

John