98/100! Automatic Google Page Speed Optimization

Hello All,

You all know my preference for the optimization to have a fast site.

This morning I just received news from our colleagues of PrestaShop. Here is one of the new features of the latest version: PrestaShop 1.4:

[QUOTE]GOOGLE TOP SPEED OPTIMIZATION

Combines With The activation of Cache and Compile (CCC) and the Media Server, The Standard PrestaShop template receiver has record [SIZE=“3”]score of [COLOR=“Red”]98/100[/COLOR]![/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Source: [url]PrestaShop Download Versions | PrestaShop

[SIZE=“3”]When will we get the same automatic Google Page Speed optimization module on CS-Cart?[/SIZE]

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello All,

You all know my preference for the optimization to have a fast site.

This morning I just received news from our colleagues of PrestaShop. Here is one of the new features of the latest version: PrestaShop 1.4:

Source: [url]PrestaShop Download Versions | PrestaShop

[SIZE=“3”]When will we get the same automatic Google Page Speed optimization module on CS-Cart?[/SIZE]

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

Hello, just visited PrestaShop. Seems good. Has anyone done its comparison with CS-cart?

hmmmm, I ran Presta for a while, see how it handles many options!!! millions of databses requests I think

JOhn

i think it’s a joke because if you use [url]http://gtmetrix.com/[/url], prestashop don’t get good result :slight_smile:

See the difference: [url]http://gtmetrix.com/compare/EuTzI8Nw/ttHHimxv[/url]

Hello Creativeuser,

Yes, absolutely, this version is very slow, however, if you go to the back office, you can see on footer:

[QUOTE][SIZE=“3”]Version 1.3.3.0[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Back office access is here:

[url]PrestaShop Examples: the most beautiful PrestaShop stores

We need to test a V 1.4 to get real score.

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Creativeuser,

Yes, absolutely, this version is very slow, however, if you go to the back office, you can see on footer:

Back office access is here:

We need to test a V 1.4 to get real score.

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

Here is the latest comparison between cs-cart demo and prestashop demo

[url]http://gtmetrix.com/compare/vX6oRaxk/HME1nHYf[/url]

Hmm, but that comparison makes no sense. Should be on the same server, with the same specs, and with the same images.

yes, that’s why it’s a joke, but with with tool, we can help our cs-cart to be better on performance etc …

[quote name=‘creativeuser’]yes, that’s why it’s a joke, but with with tool, we can help our cs-cart to be better on performance etc …[/QUOTE]

Hello Creativeuser,

Remember the actually online demo version of PrestaShop is 1.3.3.0, the optimized version of PrestaShop is version 1.4, not online yet.

Much more, question will be “Will the PrestaShop 1.4 online demo be fully optimized?”

Let us compare apples with apples.

In addition, remember the optimization of CS-Cart is a long and complicated option (as you could you perceive through my posts) or (very) expensive with commercial tools.

Now, if PrestaShop is easily and fully optimized for free, as advertised, it would be a big step forward to get a cheap and fast eCommerce website.

So, please do NOT laugh before testing version 1.4.

This is why CS-Cart needs to be as fast as possible, to keep the head of the “fast eCommerce website” race.

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Now, if PrestaShop is easily and fully optimized for free, as advertised, it would be a big step forward to get a cheap and fast eCommerce website.

So, please do NOT laugh before testing version 1.4.

This is why CS-Cart needs to be as fast as possible, to keep the head of the “fast eCommerce website” race.

Lee Li Pop[/QUOTE]

I Agree.

Sorry if i don’t explain exactly but there are lot of reasons :

A. Performance of your hosting

• Hardware and mod as deflate for apache serveur and others optimization
  • Htaccess

B.Perfomance of your software (cs-cart)
  • cache function
  • full url
  • weight of your picture /
  • compilation or compress css and javascript files
  • MYSQL Request

C.Content
  • in prestashop you can see the weight of the page, but if you see you can check the weight and time to load the page
  • Depends of modules on the main page

It’s same for SEO on google or optimization because it’s impossible to get high score automatically, you must modify your code and you parameters with your configuration server.

For prestashop, the CCC is just a cache function maybe similar as cs-cart but in realty for all website or e-commerce there are lot of parameters to get very good optimization you must apply

Hello All,

I just installed PrestaShop V. 1.4.

A quick test “out of the box” without any speed improvement coming from me (I know how to improve the speed, however, I leave all basic). Only “Perfomance” settings from back office.

Very impressive. Really.

Both (Cs-Cart and PrestaShop) are installed on localhost.

Score for a product page:

[COLOR=“SeaGreen”]PrestaShop 1.4:

Page Speed: 86/100

Yslow: Grade C[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]Cs-Cart 2.1.2 (heavily modified by myself):

Page Speed: 89/100

Yslow: Grade B[/COLOR]

First thoughts:

[SIZE=“3”]HTML is minified! CSS is minified! JS is minified![/SIZE]

Do you want to know my REAL feelings about the work of programmers of PrestaShop?

PrestaShop V. 1.4 is a real NO BRAIN optimized eCommerce solution, perfect for the total newbies on optimization field!

I really though you can get 98/100 when Media Server “CCC” is turned ON.

Absolutely fabulous!

I dream the same with CS-Cart…

Lee Li Pop

hehe, then i must install it on local to test this :slight_smile:

These speed tests are pointless, they can only be used to find major problems with a site. The biggest influance of fully configured and optimised sites is the access of the visitor and the is no way to determine that aspect for every type of network, browser, machine, software installed on each machine (personal firewalls, anti virus etc), you could even go down to the router used for user, host, ISP and carirer service from every access point in the world.

Any major problem will show up without these tests.

Prestashop have like 25 css files, a new ajax version and smaller js files.

Regarding css file sizes, checking a cscart site in pingdom I noticed the styles.css load first and styles.base.css later. This are the biggest files in all the speed chart and the ones that takes longer.

My question is, since the base.css contains most of the styling for the front page, doesn’t make sense load it first? What i did was switch contents of those css files, and it seems the page load smooth.

Maybe I’m fooling myself, because one thing is how much time take to the browser read the css and how much time to use it in the content the server is sending. If smaller is better, then I’ll do all the changes directly in the styles.css file and forget any hooks there. The smaller, the better.

Speed is most related not to the total time, but to the way the page progress in rendering the content. The first 1-2 seconds has to show something, not just a sand clock.

Hello Colortone,

Understand, demo online version is 1.3.3.0. Optimized version tested is 1.4.

On the tested version I count 2 CSS files (all.css and screen.css) and only one JS file.

So, you can gain score if you combine your 2 CSS files in one (quite easy).

@ Kickoff3pm,

Please, read these official Google pages:

[url]http://code.google.com/intl/en-EN/speed/page-speed/[/url]

[url]http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/site-speed/[/url]

Install:

1 - YSlow extension for Firefox

2 - Page Speed extension for Firefox

And read my threads on optimization:

Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - Step 1

Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - Step 2

Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - Step 3

Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - Combine CSS - Step 4

Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - .htaccess - Step 5

For example, I never succeed to minify HTML. PrestaShop has this “minify HTML” up and ready on “Performance” tab option. Some radio buttons to tick, and you are on the go to have a fast website! Magic…

Nota Bene:

In the beginning, it was 15 steps, however, followers said me “Wooow, too hard to understand your advices” then I stoped my steps at 5.

It seems to me, PrestaShop has (at least) 13 or 14 steps. So, I need to test

More, you can tweak by hand the small missing options (if any…).

Especially, I need to test the [SIZE=“3”]“You must enter another domain or subdomain in order to use cookieless static content.”[/SIZE] option to check the new score!

Explanation:

I get Grade D on Compress components with gzip:

[QUOTE]There are 3 plain text components that should be sent compressed

* [url]http://localhost/PS/themes/prestashop/cache/d6c55e183ab1ffa8f68ca4b131211539_all.css[/url]

* [url]http://localhost/PS/themes/prestashop/cache/7820f0194aed75f5d8cba5997b2fec79_screen.css[/url]

* [url]http://localhost/PS/themes/prestashop/cache/b5fd817fef41c14dd7148c1d82fca1c0.js[/url][/QUOTE]

So, I installed SmartOptimizer, and added this “{php}ob_start(“ob_gzhandler”);{/php}” and this “{php}ob_flush(); flush(); {/php}” in “header.tpl” following my advice:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=97219#post97219[/url]

New score of product page:

Page Speed: 93

Yslow: Grade B (86)

New score of Home Page:

Page Speed: 94

Yslow: Grade B (89)

So, I can get a better score, because, I don’t understand how to setup and how to turn ON CCC server…

Lee Li Pop

Hello Colortone,

[quote name=‘colortone’]Prestashop have like 25 css files, a new ajax version and smaller js files.[/QUOTE]

Incredible!

The new Prestashop 1.4 has 42 CSS files and 12 JS files!

However, in source of optimized version, you can find only 2 CSS files and 1 JS file.

Congratulations!

Lee Li Pop

Just did page speed for CS cart 2.1.4 … oh dear…

[quote name=‘vtivti’]Just did page speed for CS cart 2.1.4 … oh dear…[/QUOTE]

Hello,

What is oh dear? tell us:D

28/100 - is its best score. and 10 being worst.

I’lL going to spend a lot of time working this out when Im finished making the site.

Quad Core Dedicated Server. Win2008 X64 IIS 7.5 4GB ram.

Cs is the only website on there.