2 sets of categories on on customer end, can I disable one?

When I click on a category using the left block menu, it takes you to another page where there are categories on the left block and also in the center block.

Am wondering if there is a way we can disable the categories in the center block.

Ill post a picture. Basically there are 2 sets of duplicate categories and the list in the center of the page are taking up to much space to see the products in the center block.

First of all, it's no great secret consumers are attracted to click via images. Removing the subcategories from the central block would be a bad move imo. Try this method for subcategory thumbnails, which will look much more aesthetically pleasing.

Only problem with that is the fact that there are like 35 sub categories.

Its alot and would take up a good amount of space on that page.

123.png

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1359480619' post='153940']

Only problem with that is the fact that there are like 35 sub categories.

Its alot and would take up a good amount of space on that page.

[/quote]

No matter how you display a category list that long, it's going to take up a lot of space…

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1359500907' post='153971']

No matter how you display a category list that long, it's going to take up a lot of space…

[/quote]

Right. I guess its just my boss that wants it removed.

Maybe I can just disable it and show him and see if he likes it and see what he thinks.

Is there anyway to disable it or it that a coding thing?

So is there a way to disable one of these?

Design>Blocks>Categories>Delete the menu block.

Wrong move imo, but that's how to remove it. Use a Mega Menu or expanding menu for these instead.

I never could get this to work. If I remove that whole block, it takes the products out too.

I just want to be able to remove the central categories and keep the products there.

Ive posted another image.

Categories2.jpg

Follow this KB article as far as creating the override categories file, but remove the relevent code for everything but the if statement for displaying products.

Well I cant even get this code to work period. It wont even do what its intended to do as a full code.

So I guess this is just a lost cause.