2 questions about inventory

1. I know that on the individual product level I can select “track without options” and “out of stock” will appear on the product page if I'm out of stock for an item, but Is there a global setting which will accomplish the same thing for ALL products?

2. If I am out of stock of an item, is there a way for a customer to ask to be notified when the product becomes available?

[quote name='MFD' timestamp='1378400303' post='167782']

1. I know that on the individual product level I can select “track without options” and “out of stock” will appear on the product page if I'm out of stock for an item, but Is there a global setting which will accomplish the same thing for ALL products?

2. If I am out of stock of an item, is there a way for a customer to ask to be notified when the product becomes available?

[/quote]

Webgraphiq has a back in stock notification addon CS-Cart Development | CS-Cart Add-ons it is available for most versions.

John

I used Webgraphiq's addon for v2. and it's very good. It includes a report on all product requests and the email addresses.

But starting with v3, CS-Cart included this function at the individual product level.

On the product page, there is a section of options with the Availability header. Choose “Sign up for Notification” for the out of stock notification.

And I think “Track without options” is the default setting if you have Enable Inventory Tracking selected in the Administration>General settings.

Thanks Guys,

Don,

It worked like a charm when I tried it. Since I was already registered as a user of my own store, it accepted the check mark right away. I wonder though… if a brand new customer comes along, will CSC prompt them to leave their email address? Probably a dumb question, but I'd like to be sure.

Also, does CSC just automatically send out the notification behind the scenes once the new inventory is added or is it going to prompt me to “hey send this guy an email to let him know what's what”?

To see what an unregistered customer to your store will see, just log out of your customer account.

They have the option to enter an email address - any email address.

The store auto sends an email message when you update the inventory via the admin, there no no prompt to you. It's good to find and read the language that is in the outbound message and change it to something more friendly. All you have to do is to sign up for an item that is out of stock and then update the inventory on it to a plus 1 and you get the email.

Again, the addon from Webgraphiq was better because it has a report that aggregates all the requests into one location, which you can use for determining the interest in, or demand for, all the items that are out of stock. CS-Cart put the Subscriber info in the product level and didn't provide any report - it's a custom job that needs to be done… but the cart lacks much in reporting.