2 Product Thumbnail Questions

1. There is a thumbnail setting in the Administrator > Appearance Settings section for the product list. Then, under the Administrator > Thumbnails section, there are more thumbnails settings for category. Aren’t these the same settings?

2. Also, I have checked the “Resize Original Thumbnails” checkbox and set the product page settings to 200 x 200. But my 300 x 300 thumbnails are not being resized to 200 x 200. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Here is what worked for us…

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=15780&highlight=image[/url]

I think this link might help with your questions. I went with option two “JNizhnik method” of globally updating my images. Pay attention to the post in this thread as you can delete all your alt image tags by globally updating your images but there is a code fix listed. Cs was suppose to fix this in the newer updates beyond 2.0.12. (Don’t know if they did) I also highly recommend testing this on one product first and see how things work for you. Also I didn’t delete my thumbnail_image folder files as instructed…it’s not necessary I don’t believe.

Secondly the appearance setting “Thumbnail width on products list page” controls the sizing on just that…the products list page. Set this to whatever you want and it will change as well once you globally update. The global update method in the above link, sets the product page images to whatever you specify.

Either way your images won’t change just by setting the image sizes until you use the global update method and apply it to your specified products.

Here are our settings: global update image size is 180x180… appearance setting is: 120.

As always…backup before doing this and apply it to one product to see if the results are what you’re looking for. Hope this helps. I’m not a coder so if I’m wrong about something here, someone please chime in. I just followed the links instructions and it worked for us. Thanks

Stu

Thanks Stu, but that’s not really what I’m looking for. That post doesn’t really answer my questions. I’m not wanting to regenerate all the thumbnails. I’m wanting definitions for these two questions so I can understand how it all works.

The category thumnails are different, they are what it says, images for your Categories…not products. For instance if you set up a category for fotballs there is an image upload box to upload an image for that category which is then shown when"fooballs" category is selected at the top of the first page of “football products”

the image thumbnails are for the images of the products in the list and product details view. these will not re size unless you globally updtae( not recommended by me) or when you re implort the csv with the codes column and dtailed images column.

John

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]The category thumnails are different, they are what it says, images for your Categories…not products. [/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. That confused me because I thought it was talking about the products list page which is also called a category page sometimes.

[quote]2. Also, I have checked the “Resize Original Thumbnails” checkbox and set the product page settings to 200 x 200. But my 300 x 300 thumbnails are not being resized to 200 x 200. Am I missing something or is this a bug?[/quote]

Now with question 1 out of the way, if someone could answer question 2, that would be great!

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]

the image thumbnails are for the images of the products in the list and product details view. these will not re size unless you globally updtae( not recommended by me) or when you re implort the csv with the codes column and dtailed images column.

John[/QUOTE]

just re import your data or globally update, you dont have to bring all data in, just codes and detailed image column.

@ Johnbol1,

Just out of curiosity…why don’t you recommend global update to resize images? What way would you suggest and why. Thanks

Stu

Only because each time I used it in the early days it lost half of the images and it also gave me weird skewed sizes on others…I dont know how, but it did, I know this can be used but for me its no longer just to bring in the info again via csv.

John