MikeK's Content

There have been 12 items by MikeK (Search limited from 06-Aug 19)

Sort by                Order  

#39990 My host wants to kick me out for cpu load???

Posted by MikeK on 06 November 2008 - 07:14 PM in v1.x Configuration

We charge $19.95 month for hosting. This includes your own control panel, dedicated IP, 50 Gb per month bandwidth, unlimited mailboxes, MySQL databases, ftp accounts, etc. Basically, I'm focused on saying yes. I try to be as accommodating as possible and give you as much flexibility as you need. I remember the frustrations I went through in my early days with a slew of hosting companies when I needed anything done. They have their packages and you're not getting anything more. For example, with us, if you want to install a program like Joomla or vTiger, go right ahead, you have all the access you need to install them. If you run into problems we're here to help. Even if we don't actually support the program we'll do everything we can. If you need us to install something for you our prices are more than fair.

When comparing us to the big boys I don't even try to compete on price, but you get what you pay for. I'll never have more than 50 accounts on a single server so our CPU and connection are never overtaxed. Combined with our flexibility and support we're a excellent option for your hosting needs.

#39960 BUYER BEWARE! Siteground Hosting

Posted by MikeK on 05 November 2008 - 08:00 PM in Web Hosting

I have taken your advise and have transferred the domain name. I am ready to go live with my CS-Cart Site on a dedicated server, but now must wait for the domain to transfer. It is hard for me to believe a hosting company would charge you $99.00 to point the DNS elsewhere.

I do believe if Siteground was a US based company, someone within the corporate HQ would be doing jail time of their deceptive tactics and advertising. But I am going to be sure to spread to different boards what they are up to so that maybe another company like myself will be spared the grief.

Off to the Joomla boards...Thanks

Unimaginable! It takes seconds to change the DNS point. As a domain registrar I always offer to register a domain for any new hosting customers. I charge $12. If the customer ever wants to change to a different host I don't charge anything to change the DNS point. Never will either.

#39959 My host wants to kick me out for cpu load???

Posted by MikeK on 05 November 2008 - 07:49 PM in v1.x Configuration

Today I got system message that I load to much CPU of my host server.

What would you suggest me where to move ?

Thank you!

How big is your site? It's likely that your site is on a server with lots of other sites, which keep the CPU loaded all the time. If your business starts to get busy you shouldn't get penalized. Give me a call and I'll be happy to talk to you about our CS-Cart hosting package.

#39958 Very dissatisfied customer

Posted by MikeK on 05 November 2008 - 07:19 PM in Why CS-Cart

Nevsie is exactly right. There are a couple of things that can really drag on performance. One of the biggest is loading images into the database. If you're doing this you should switch over to the file system. You'll see a pretty big speed gain. As far as slowness being caused by the host or server there's so much truth to that I don't even know where to start.

When your website is hosted on the same hard drive as four or five hundred other sites it's hard for all of the data to flow through one single cable at the same time. A host with only a few sites on each server is almost certainly going to perform better than one of the big boys, (like GoDaddy). If you're on a VPS, you're still constrained by how much data can be pushed through the cable. If you're running a big site with lots of traffic, get your own dedicated server. It costs more, but if you want to run with the big dogs........

The flip side is, to make a profit on a server with only a few websites, small web hosts (like me) can't afford to host for $2.95 a month. We charge $20 a month, but you get the legendary service and support that only a small company can offer. For example, if you call at 3 AM, I'm going to answer the phone. Yes you'll wake me up, but I will get up and fix your problem. Unlike the big boys, I don't throttle data throughput either. Throttling is a little trick "they" like to use to make sure everyone gets their slice of the available bandwidth. It's like those traffic meters on the freeway they turn on during the commute hours.

#36873 Help with importing

Posted by MikeK on 08 August 2008 - 07:15 PM in v1.x Configuration

Do you have a backup of the "old" database. If you do you might try deleting all the tables in the 'new' db and import the old db. The old one will create all the tables.

Take note of some important disclosures though:
• If the CS-Cart versions are different, this won't work.
• This is something that worked for me, but nothing that I do or say about database management should be taken as gospel. I'm very DB challenged.

#35161 Which credit card processor do you suggest?

Posted by MikeK on 23 June 2008 - 12:38 AM in General Questions

In reference to my earlier post about rates, I've come up with a plan specifically for online merchants. Please note, online rates are classified differently than face to face swiped transactions.

This is an e-commerce plan through FirstData using an Authorize.net gateway.

• 2.07% + 20¢ Visa/MasterCard Qualified Rate
• 2.86% + 20¢ Visa/MasterCard Mid Qualified Rate
• 3.31% + 20¢ Visa/MasterCard Non Qualified Rate
• Funds available in your bank account the next business morning.*
• $20 Month Statement and Gateway Fee.**
• 5¢ Per Transaction AVS Fee
• 5¢ Per Transaction Fee after 250 transactions in a single month.***
• No Monthly Processing Minimum
• No Early Termination Penalty
• No Annual Fee
• No Batch Header Fee
• Fast Application Approval
• We Love New Merchants
• 24/7 Phone Support****

* Must batch out by 6 PM Central Time.
** The rates and fees posted by wisdomci do not include a $10 per month Authorize.net gateway fee.
*** This a fee imposed by Authorize.net after the first 250 transactions.
**** This does not include support for CS-Cart issues.

NVone is associated with several merchant service providers. This gives us the unique ability to provide solutions that are tailored to your company. We have plans that suit your retail store, internet, or mobile business. Even if you already processing credit cards, please feel free to contact me to find out how much I can save you each month.

#35159 Which credit card processor do you suggest?

Posted by MikeK on 22 June 2008 - 11:00 PM in General Questions

I thought I would post a note about how merchant services work.

The first thing I think merchants need to understand is the differences between swiped and keyed transactions. Swiped transactions are face to face between you and the customer, with the card being swiped in a terminal on your counter top. All credit card companies prefer swiped transactions because they are the safest. Bad guys don't like it when a stolen card is discovered and someone has their description and possibly a picture. All credit cards have information encoded into the stripe that flags the transaction as being swiped.

Manual entry of credit card information into a terminal, computer, or website isn't as secure as a swiped sale and incur a higher fee charged to the merchant, (you), for the transaction.

In general, credit card processors have three classifications for transactions. Qualified or Qual, Mid Qualified or Mid Qual, and Non Qualified or Non Qual. Obviously, the Qual rate is the lowest, with Mid Qual and Non Qual incurring additional fees respectively. This is about the simplest explanation of an extremely complex process, but it's the most common.

Additionally, there are two types of merchant accounts, Retail and MOTO, which stands for Mail Order/Telephone Order. Retail is pretty self explanatory, it's the face to face swiped transaction. MOTO transactions are always manually keyed. This includes internet sales such as those using CS-Cart. And....manually entered card info at a retail location is treated as a Mid Qual, and sometimes a Non Qual transaction.

To make this even more complicated, different credit card processors can define Qual, Mid Qual, and Non Qual transactions differently. For example, Global Payments has a three tier classification for retail establishments. Swiped are treated as Qual, keyed as Mid Qual, and paper slip as Non Qual.
But First Data has a Qual, Mid, and Non category for Retail and MOTO.

Generally speaking, companies like mine will take the time to explain the tier structure we offer, but even if your agent didn't, it doesn't mean they are being deceptive. Most of the time we're all pretty competitive. You just need to be aware of the type of classification your business falls under, retail or MOTO. So when someone tells you they'll give you a 1.70% rate for qualified transactions, and you get your statement and find out every one of your transactions were charged a higher rate, it's probably due to your internet sales being treated as Mid Qual transactions. You need to be sure your sales agent clearly understands the type of transaction you will be making in order to provide an accurate quotation.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I'll be happy to help.

Note, my website is down for a refurb, but email still works fine.

#34455 Which credit card processor do you suggest?

Posted by MikeK on 07 June 2008 - 04:56 AM in General Questions

Authorize.net is a good service, but they also come with some pretty hefty fees. We're an agent for them, but I have other programs that are lower in fees and have great service.

PM me if you want more info.

#26028 Authorize.net question

Posted by MikeK on 02 January 2008 - 04:37 AM in General Questions

Authorize.net should allow you to pre-authorize a sale and effect the deposit later. Any processor will do that. But don't forget to do the deposit, either manually or in a batch, or you won't get the money.

#26026 Security Audit

Posted by MikeK on 02 January 2008 - 04:24 AM in Wishlist & Feature Requests

We offer a service that does that. PM me for details.

#23735 Shipping problem and solution

Posted by MikeK on 12 November 2007 - 03:11 AM in v1.x Configuration

What client? The cart runs on my server. There's no client.

#23640 Shipping problem and solution

Posted by MikeK on 10 November 2007 - 04:37 AM in v1.x Configuration

Recently, we moved to a new server. One of my customers store died at the shipping step with the error:

Unfortunately no shipping options are available for your location.
Please contact us and we will see about delivering to you.

Once again, Francesca Smith, better known as LadyLinux, came to the rescue. The problem was found in the https.php file. It had the 'old' IP address from the server the site was moved from. Once we changed it to the new IP the problem was gone.

A helpful suggestion from Fran to the developers; Use the domain name instead of the IP address.

Thanks Fran.