markhedley's Content

There have been 129 items by markhedley (Search limited from 16-Jul 18)

Sort by                Order  

#278897 Thin Theme By Themehills

Posted by markhedley on 14 June 2017 - 08:57 AM in Store Design & Templates

Looks good but it isnt very 'mobile' friendly from an optimisation perspective....

mH9tJF6.png

#278533 The Proper Way To Migrate Cs-Cart From One Server To Another

Posted by markhedley on 08 June 2017 - 07:32 AM in Web Hosting

Your reasons for this restriction?  On customer sites that have ownership/permission issues, we rename var/cache to var/Xcache all the time to get the full cache to rebuilt.

The registry build is a one-shot and template caches are rebuilt on demand.  Same with static data like css.

Why bother deleting the folder, just the content is fine as well. Not suggesting it's a form of restriction.

#278532 Server Down Alert

Posted by markhedley on 08 June 2017 - 07:30 AM in General Questions

It may not be something in the user's control.  I.e. a cPanel update can wreck havoc on a site.  Note that if the server is down, there is no WHM/Cpanel to check anything.

There are a ton of monitors.  Suggest something simple and basic but be sure to read the T&C's and the Privacy Policy before you enter your domain name into any web form.

If you have a server on a different hosting site, you can always write a small shell script that will do a wget of your site and if it comes back with any status other than 200, send you an email.

Pingdom is a good choice for tools. 

#277413 Session Replay Issue Due To Changing Stylesheet Link

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 04:21 AM in Issues & Troubleshooting

Ohhhhh I don't know. Maybe because when you're constantly working on a website, there's a variety of reasons whereby you NEED to clear the cache?

So plan around those 'constantly working on a website' changes? Seems you need a 'sandbox' development site for these 'tests' and keep your main site free from the constant flux :-)

#277411 I M Getting Notifications Every Day Like I Am Admin

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 04:07 AM in Off-Topic/General Chat

PLEASE STOP THIS!!!

I M GETTIN MAILS IN MY EMAIL LIKE I AM ADMIN!!!

I GET AT LEAST 10 MAILS PER DAY FROM ANY TOPIC IN YOUR FORUM!!!

HAVE YOU MADE ME MODERATIOR AND I DONT KNOW IT??

I M GETTIN MAILS LIKE THAT :

harvester,

Antars has just posted a new topic entitled "Redactor Problem" in forum "Issues & Troubleshooting".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone explain what happened here and how to fix it?
i think it happened after upgrade, and clearing the cache.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here:
http://forum.cs-cart...view=getnewpost

You can unsubscribe at any time here: http://forum.cs-cart...BjaW5mby5ncg,,/

If you are not following any forums and wish to stop receiving notifications, uncheck the setting
"Send me news and information" found in 'My Settings' under 'Notification Options'.

Your post is more disturbing than the content and complaint.... Lose the CAPS lock typing buddy. Just makes you look.. well... Angry and such :-)

#277410 How To Make My Website User-Friendly?

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 04:04 AM in SEO

Ask the question 'What is WRONG with my user experience?' first then inform the next step about WHAT needs to be optimised. Using Google as a reference is a good start, collecting feedback from your customers is obviously the BEST choice though. Once you have enough analytical data you can ask the question more clearly :-)

Hopefully a more constructive response than the ones above. Asking people here will give good feedback but follow what your users are saying is the ultimate answer to this question!

#277409 Session Replay Issue Due To Changing Stylesheet Link

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 04:01 AM in Issues & Troubleshooting

PS. And by this I mean why keep clearing the cache? The sole purpose of the cache is, well.... to Cache! So unless you are changing CSS every minute of the day I doubt its an issue you need to concern about too much.

#277408 Session Replay Issue Due To Changing Stylesheet Link

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 03:59 AM in Issues & Troubleshooting

Hi all,

I'm using www.mouseflow.com to record sessions and replay, but it relies on the stylesheet link. Often when clearing the cache, the link changes, and therefore no CSS is shown in the replays.

Any suggestions for how I can get around this?

Thanks

yea... Stop clearing the cache in your var/cache :-)

#277407 No Styles Showing Up On Apache/mac When Installing Existing Mv Instance

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 03:56 AM in Installation & Upgrade

BTW for opcache (which is recommended by the cs cart team) the results are the same - ~10 sec per page

Check the waterfall of the page load / resources then start looking at what might be going wrong. APC will only be of use if you are using PHP 7.x.

I'd suggest looking at Browser Caching and server side headers to keep the expiry of static resources over a period of a few weeks / months depending on your update frequency. I can help with server optimisation if you want to drop me a PM.

Memcache is also another alternative and Redis for session caching depending again on your traffic, site needs.

Beyond that, optimising content, images, CSS, Javascript delivery are among the many other tweaks. Also if you have server access its better to place the .htaccess rules inside apache for more resource / mem saving as Apache will poll each time to search for .htaccess recursively, thus leading to more slow TTFB (Time to First Byte) issues.

Etags, Expires, Vary headers and so on are other areas to look into :-) I've managed to fix all but a few small issues on my instance of CS Cart, also delete any unused addons, disabling the addon isn't often sufficient in some cases!

#277404 The Proper Way To Migrate Cs-Cart From One Server To Another

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 03:29 AM in Web Hosting

You can rename or delete the var/cache directory and CS-Cart will create it anew

Delete only the CONTENT of /your/path/var/cache/ DO NOT delete the whole folder of 'cache' not needed! Just delete what resides inside it.

As for the overall issue, why no server / cs cart logs to pin the issue in one post instead of people 'Guessing' the issue?

#277392 Does Anyone Use Gmail Smtp Server For E-Mail Setting?

Posted by markhedley on 23 May 2017 - 12:42 AM in General Questions

For everyone still having problems configuring google apps / gmail smtp correctly, even after doing this: http://kb.cs-cart.com/gmail

You have to set google apps so that it accepts less secure apps here:

https://myaccount.go...geId=none&pli=1

I doubt that is anywhere near a sensible option to post here on the forum. Opening up unsecure access is just asking for trouble.

#277389 Status Change

Posted by markhedley on 22 May 2017 - 11:26 PM in General Questions

is there a way to change a status code of a created status?

Via database

#277388 Interesting Error - 404 Not Found For Orders And Addons?

Posted by markhedley on 22 May 2017 - 11:25 PM in General Questions

Have found an interesting error today, all of a sudden we can not access admin.php?dispatch=orders.manage or admin.php?dispatch=addons.manage

Keeps coming back with 404 not found - tried different browsers etc.

Any ideas please?

Check your server error_log and access_log

Additionally check that .htaccess is working and also in config.local.php that 'admin.php' has not been changed by someone to an alternative name (Which by the way is recommended).

Without checking logs it could be server configuration error or script issue.

#275182 Good Alternatives To Paypal, Stripe?

Posted by markhedley on 12 April 2017 - 06:41 PM in General Questions

To update, after about 10 successful orders with Square they cancelled our service, with the message: 

"We're sorry to inform you that we are deactivating your account. We reviewed your account and found that your business is prohibited by Section 3 of the Payment Terms and/or Section 4 of the General Terms, which means we cannot accept payments related to your business."

So no more Square.. Are there any other options anyone knows about?

By the sounds of it you'll end up blacklisted on all the processors due to your line of business.

Clearly something not right with how you are doing the business or they just don't want the liability of being the facilitator of sending drugs not medically approved? Just a hunch, maybe i'm wrong.

Maybe eat a few of those 'Cognitive' pills you referred to and the answer will present itself :-)

#274598 Hide Cs-Cart From Platform Detector?

Posted by markhedley on 06 April 2017 - 05:41 AM in General Questions

In order to do this, you should find out what marks does builtwith use to detect CS-Cart.

I tried to do this a while ago, but failed.

They scrub through the HTML and CSS Structures against 'known' schema's so unless you want to re-invent the wheel there is no plausible way to deter this activity.

To be honest, a malicious hacker is less likely to use 'builtwith.com' when they have OS Fingerprinting and detection tools at their disposal. Nevertheless obfuscation is good, so perhaps encoding CSS and HTML is the only way to truly 'Confuse' builtwith.com

Cheers,

Mark

#273822 New Domain Name

Posted by markhedley on 27 March 2017 - 11:42 AM in General Questions

2. the correct domain is specified in the config.local.php file of your installation

do you mean i have to add the new domain path in $config['http_path'] = '';???

// Host and directory where software is installed on no-secure server

$config['http_host'] = 'example1.com';
$config['http_path'] = '';

// Host and directory where software is installed on secure server
$config['https_host'] = 'example1.com';
$config['https_path'] = '';

yes that is what he meant : )

#272846 Redirect loop with ssl

Posted by markhedley on 13 March 2017 - 05:11 PM in Configuration

Redirect loop is always caused by server side issues.

Not always ;-) can be caused by bad coding as well. Never forget PEBCAK ;-)

#272720 Server Choice For Cs Cart Ultimate

Posted by markhedley on 12 March 2017 - 04:37 PM in Web Hosting

This should be fine, but much more important is the configuration of the OS, security etc. Also if you are not familiar with server administration and command line tasks, you should consider to use WHM/cPanel. You will be able to configure your system (the most of the common tasks) from the GUI backend.

Agree but look at Virtualmin / Webmin as WHM and cPanel / Plesk etc just EAT resources for no good reason and present their own security problems.

Dedicated is the way to go, Cloud is too expensive for anything half decent, VPS is for beginners or back room stores who dont have big budgets. Dedicated way more control and flexibility.

CentOS is a good choice for web server Linux based and focused OS or Debian.

#272718 Magento Issues

Posted by markhedley on 12 March 2017 - 04:33 PM in Security

Magento is a monolithic mess

#272715 Shipping Cost Per Kg

Posted by markhedley on 12 March 2017 - 03:09 PM in Why CS-Cart

Hello to community,

I've a problem with cost per kg more than X kg... example:

from 0kg to 2kg the cost is 2 euro (fixed, not per kg)

from 2kg to unlimited kg the cost is 1 euro per kg

the problem... if the total weight is 2.4 kg the shipping cost is 2.4 euro (2 + 0.40 for 400 grammars).

I want for each kg (more than 2kg) round the cost to 1 euro.. example:

2.4kg = 3 euro, 4.650kg = 4 euro etc.

I don't want calculate the grammars but give the absolute 1 euro per kg.

thank you

We have a very similar issue...

Mine is 2 fold though, http://forum.cs-cart...view=getnewpost

#272714 Shipping Rates And Formulas

Posted by markhedley on 12 March 2017 - 02:56 PM in General Questions

Hi everyone,

Facing a headache issue with Shipping Rates and Locations...

I have two formula's from SF Express and I need to figure out a workable solution:

Example A

Standard Shipping Formula:

Total Weight * Base Cost of Country + Base charge for this country

1.2 * 12.84 + 1.79 = Total Shipping Charge

Example B

Express Shipping Charge

Based on 5kg (0.5 * 9)

Base price (per 0.5kg) + (cost for additional 0.5kg *9) discount 

(17.36) + (3.88 * 9) * 0.7 = Total Shipping Charge

Can anyone offer any help on this, paid or otherwise in order to come to some sensible logic to handle this please? Ideally taking the formula's into account and capturing the total weight to re calculate the shipping fee totally.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

#270670 Cs Cart V4.2.4 Compatible With Mariadb ?

Posted by markhedley on 12 February 2017 - 11:23 PM in General Questions

Hi

This must have come up a few times but is a CS Cart V4.2.4 store compatible to work with MariaDB ? 

Do not need an elaborate question if not know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Yours truly,

MariaDB is just standard MySQL these days anyway but also yes, it works just fine.,

#269670 Ssl Problem

Posted by markhedley on 31 January 2017 - 04:07 AM in General Questions

Infinate loop where?  Do you mean redirect loop?

Make sure you clear your cache after changing SSL modes.

redirect loop : )

#269280 Recommended Spec For Vps For Large Cs Cart Website

Posted by markhedley on 26 January 2017 - 11:01 AM in General Questions

Not everyone who has a driver license can buy a Ferrari. There are planty of people they are running carts on shared or VPS plans. It still deppends on the server configuration, hardware and things like overselling...

Some VPS are over priced to the point people SHOULD just pay a few extra's towards a solid, scalable solution. 

Anyway, I'd still suggest more RAM and your own Server as opposed to sharing it with other people, it doesnt need to be a 'Ferrari' either, as I say some Dedicated options are more profitable in the long term due to less issues and scalability.

#269261 Recommended Spec For Vps For Large Cs Cart Website

Posted by markhedley on 26 January 2017 - 07:07 AM in General Questions

The best advice would be to look at dedicated hosting, VPS is for people starting up, if you want scale then I wouldn't put your hopes into VPS as a long term viable option.

More RAM would definitely help you to increase resources such as MySQL / MariaDB cache and buffering, file cache buffer etc. Apache and PHP memory execution / resource time as well. I would look at least to 8GB > 16GB for anything serious.

Splitting resources in the same VPS is worthless and not sensible for redundancy and scalability. For a true system you need dedicated hardware and separate systems for each specific workflow (it also means less services running and better security and less trouble shooting issues if they occur).