Fossils's Content

There have been 42 items by Fossils (Search limited from 13-Oct 18)

Sort by                Order  

#264181 Product Data Export: How To Make It User Friendly

Posted by Fossils on 17 November 2016 - 12:48 PM in Configuration

I tried a product data export dump and ended up with a jumbled mess of data in a spreadsheet... the spread of data fields across columns is inconsistent from row to row (across products) and I am finding the export to be rather useless in it's current state. 

Is there an addon or setting that can make download and upload of product data much more user friendly? I would image that there should be a way to have each "data field" fit into a corresponding cell on a spreadsheet that lines up under the appropriate heading for the column.

For example:

Product Code - Price - Weight - Description

122              -   $4    -  .06 lb  - awesome product one

123              -   $5    -  .26 lb  - awesome product two

And then be able to easily upload it back to the system to overwrite these fields on the products after changing the data some?

#263390 Developer Recommendation?

Posted by Fossils on 08 November 2016 - 08:00 AM in Store Design & Templates

I am working on re-designing my site from starting point of multi vendor responsive theme. A few key features will relate to new appearance of products on category pages and also ability to create custom URLs which display products based on defined criteria such as tags , filters, features etc.

Any recommendations on particular developers? I put together a 30 page PowerPoint presentation outlining what I would like.

Thanks!

#262701 Bread-Crumbs Optimization

Posted by Fossils on 31 October 2016 - 06:30 AM in SEO

Someone was telling me that the full text after the "/" in a URL is what ranks for SEO and recommended having it more complete rather the built up with the category key words leading up to it as part of the intended SEO. I am new at this, so forgive my ignorance --- Is there a way to make "clever" bread-crumbs for SEO in something like this? Would this sort of thing be helpful?

Imagine a store which sells lots of fossils and has a category of fossil called shark teeth and this category has a sub category of megalodon teeth which has a sub category of megalodon teeth that are 5 inches.

Level , category name, SEO URL?
level 1: all fossils for sale  -  fossils.com/fossils-for-sale
level 2: shark-teeth for sale  -  fossils.com/shark-teeth-for-sale
level 3: megalodon teeth for sale  -  fossils.com/megalodon-teeth-for-sale
level 4: 5 inch megalodon teeth for sale - fossils.com/5-inch-megalodon-teeth-for-sale

Optimal Bread-crumbs?

Home (fossils.com)  > Fossils For Sale (fossils.com/fossils-for-sale) > Megalodon Teeth (fossils.com/megalodon-teeth-for-sale) > 5 inch (fossils.com/5-inch-megalodon-teeth-for-sale)

Would this sort of hierarchy and bread-crumbs work better for SEO rather than:
fossils.com/fossils-for-sale/shark-teeth/megalodon-teeth/5-inch ??

If this is a good idea, is there a good addon for this?

See attached example 

Attached Thumbnails

• SEO-Breadcrumbs-Example-1.png

#262672 Advanced Product Filtering Addons?

Posted by Fossils on 29 October 2016 - 07:22 PM in Configuration

Are there any addons which substantially improve the capabilities of the product filtering in cs-cart / cs-cart multivendor?

I read some good articles on what works well for ecommerce filtering and seems many of these key features are either missing or I simply haven't figured out how to use them yet ---

Stuff like displaying product counts that would be returned if a filter were applied.

Attached Thumbnails

• Filtering-Summary-of-Concepts.PNG
  • Show-Applied-Filters-Inline-and-as-a-group.PNG
  • Product-Filters-Counts-Updating.PNG

#262333 Top Menu Panel Translucent / Transparent?

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 06:40 PM in Configuration

Thanks! This worked brilliantly!  

I tried out a variety of transparency settings at with my current menu it becomes unreadable with transparency due to text being too light of color, but if I leave the CSS code there with it set to 1 for no transparency in case I decide to use it later after re-designing my menus, will it impact website performance?

#262291 Top Menu Panel Translucent / Transparent?

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 09:07 AM in Configuration

Try this css code

.navbar.navbar-default.navbar-fixed-top{
    background: rgba(240, 240, 240, 1);
}
Where value "1" - level of transparency 
Value "1" - 0% of transparency 
Value "0" - 100% of transparency 
Value "0,5" - 50% of transparency 

Thanks for the quick response. I tried both 0,5 and 0.5 and it didn't seem to make any changes.

Maybe .navbar isn't what this is called on my site? A different variable?  http://fossils1.wwwls17.a2hosted.com/

background: rgba(240, 240, 240, 0,5);
}

and

background: rgba(240, 240, 240, 0.5);
}

#262283 Top Menu Panel Translucent / Transparent?

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 08:07 AM in Configuration

I came across a neat feature on a site which froze the menu at the top of the site --- it is partially transparent / translucent to show stuff underneath the "sticky menu" at the top.

How would I turn this on or off in cs-cart multi-vendor and how would I set the level of transparency?

http://www.fallenhero.com/

I am curious to see how it would look for my site! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Transparent-Menu.png

#262270 Favicon: Anyway To Exceed 16X16 Pixel?

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 07:15 AM in Configuration

Turns out the documentation was simply wrong --- you can upload a larger file and it works just fine. I successfully used a 64x64 and a 128x128 and it looks so much better!

#262267 Favicon: Any Way To Exceed 16X16 Pixels?

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 07:11 AM in Store Design & Templates

I think the cs-cart doc is incorrect on requiring it to be 16x16.  I'm using a 64x64 favicon with no problem, uploaded using the theme editor.  You could probably even go with 128x128.

Thanks!! I have just now seen this as I failed to subscribe to my own thread...  it worked brilliantly! 

#262263 Mouse Icon: Pointer Vs. Thumbhand Vs. I Text Select

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 07:00 AM in Configuration

Everything is working in the same way as on the demo CS-Cart store for me (Chrome)

I just checked and you are right -- I hadn't noticed it before...  is there a way to change this such that the mouse icon will be able to provide the useful information I highlighted above such as clickable link (hand with finger) vs. selectable or input for text (i-beam) vs. nothing (pointer).  On the demo store, the only place the icon is anything other than the hand with finger is on the search box. 

#262259 Mouse Icon: Pointer Vs. Thumbhand Vs. I Text Select

Posted by Fossils on 25 October 2016 - 06:48 AM in Configuration

My site seems to use the hand with pointer thumb for everything as opposed to the standard pointer when moving mouse around, and then changing to the thumb for clickable links and changing to the I beam icon for selectable text.

Is this affecting your websites too? I think it may confuse users into thinking that everything is a link or nothing is , or at the least makes it harder to figure out what is a link vs. text vs. nothing.

See screenshots below of the "pointer" and "thumb hand" and "I beam" (text select).

Example my website: http://fossils1.wwwls17.a2hosted.com/

Thanks all for any tips on straightening this "bug" or "feature" out!

Attached Thumbnails

• I-beam-icon.PNG
  • mouse-icon-vs-hand-thumb.PNG

#262223 4.3.10 Update -- Anyone Do It Yet?

Posted by Fossils on 24 October 2016 - 05:34 PM in Multi-Vendor Edition

Thanks! Glad to hear upgrades are going smoothly. 

#262202 4.3.10 Update -- Anyone Do It Yet?

Posted by Fossils on 24 October 2016 - 12:27 PM in Multi-Vendor Edition

Has anyone upgraded / updated to 4.3.10 yet? 

Did the process go smoothly?

My store is still in development stages, so I should probably go ahead and upgrade since nothing really to disrupt yet if something goes wrong, but I have installed a variety of 3P addons and am concerned that they may stop working?

Such as:

1. MagicZoomPlus,

2. MagicScroll,

3. Cart-Power Power-Blog,

4. Cart-Power floating menus,

5. Cart-Power options variant,

6. Cart-Power images gallery,

7. Cart-Power Google Recapcha

8. Paypal adaptive payments.

9. Shipstation

10. Custom html smarty blocks I made myself --- do these all stay and keep working?

Thanks!

Anyone able to report if these still worked? 

#262171 Spacing Of Top-Panel And Header: Which Code?

Posted by Fossils on 24 October 2016 - 08:32 AM in Configuration

Add to the CSS section of the Theme editor this code

.tygh-header .top-menu-grid {
    padding-top: 0px;
}

Then open content of the HTML block with banner and remove first p tag.

Result:

http://prntscr.com/cy70um

It worked!! thanks so much all for your help! Much appreciated!

#262116 Spacing Of Top-Panel And Header: Which Code?

Posted by Fossils on 23 October 2016 - 05:52 PM in Configuration

Hi

You need to comment out or remove ................. <div class="span16 top-menu-grid">

Using firefox "inspect element you can try this.

Regards

Barry

Barry, that's brilliant. It removed almost all of the remaining gap! Sounds like Firefox is a good way to test code out!

Now I suppose I need to find the file to actually change this in --- is this a core file or something in a theme or which file would this be in? Hopefully this inspector tool can point me to the right file to change too? Or is finding the right file more complicated?

What is the best way to track down the corresponding file for the code you want to modify after inspecting to find the right section?

thanks for the tutorials!

#262111 Spacing Of Top-Panel And Header: Which Code?

Posted by Fossils on 23 October 2016 - 12:54 PM in Configuration

In the styles editor try this change the 3px to whatever suits

.tygh-header > div {
    padding-top: 3px;
}

John, thanks much. This helped! It reduced the space substantially by about half when I added that code to custom CSS and set it to 0px, but unfortunately didn't quite eliminate it. I tried negative numbers for px but they ended up putting it back to the big gap that was there originally. 

Any more ideas?  Maybe some sort of bottom margin or padding on top panel? 

your help is much appreciated!

There must be something else still forcing a big space. 

screenshots: http://fossils1.wwwl...-header-gap.png

#261819 Spacing Of Top-Panel And Header: Which Code?

Posted by Fossils on 19 October 2016 - 10:31 AM in Configuration

Which part of the code controls the spacing between the top panel and the header? 

Attached image shows part of the site I am talking about...

I downloaded a CSS editor and open the styles.less file in an attempt to modify it to adjust the spacing, but given that I am new at this and have no idea what I am doing, I was unsuccessful...

presumably it is finding the right line of code and changing one number for amount of spacing to a lower number? Spacing, or padding, or margin or something like that?

http://fossils1.wwwls17.a2hosted.com/

Attached Thumbnails

• Spacing-Example.PNG

#261809 Embed Main Menu In Quick Links Bar

Posted by Fossils on 19 October 2016 - 09:20 AM in Configuration

Thanks. I went ahead and started creating some custom menus to try it out, but unfortunately the flexibility of how they function seems extremely limited.  

For example, if I wanted the menu to be clickable to load a particular URL, or hoverable to display an expanded menu horizontally, I don't think it can do it. Please let me know if it can and how!

The menu could have text links (and icons optionally similar to the blog categories with icons on my site?) and link to various other pages or product categories or "views" of products such as "all products" sorted by "newest" or other selections like "featured products" and ability to make a manual list in the back-end, how would I do this?

Does it require advanced coding skills? I am a beginner... so maybe I would need to hire developer for this if not relatively easy... something that could be coded by a competent developer in an hour or less?

#261672 Configure "account" And "cart" Menu Bar Appearance

Posted by Fossils on 18 October 2016 - 08:03 AM in Configuration

Thanks much eComLabs! I will try this. 

#261671 Embed Main Menu In Quick Links Bar

Posted by Fossils on 18 October 2016 - 08:02 AM in Configuration

Also, is there a way to make some "views" appear on the menu without creating a category and tagging each item to it? Such as "All Items" or "Newest Items" or "Featured Items" or "For Kids" and when click these it loads a products page sorted by some basis like date or price or manual?

#261669 Embed Main Menu In Quick Links Bar

Posted by Fossils on 18 October 2016 - 07:56 AM in Configuration

I would like the "main menu" to be part of my "quick links" bar at the top of the site such that when customer cursors over the "main menu" (currently labeled as "store") that the menu appears as if it were displayed like the original default main menu style. Currently I am simulating this effect by putting a "main menu" block in the top bar and setting it as a click to drop down menu, but two problems with this:

1. It requires click to activate instead of cursor over

2. When activated, it doesn't display the "main menu" in the same way. Instead it makes a very hard to read vertical list and doesn't work quite the same. 

For comparison, I have the main menu currently showing on both the top bar and the main menu bar to show how they are displaying differently. 

http://fossils1.wwwls17.a2hosted.com/

and 3. How do I remove or narrow the white space between the "top panel" and "header" panel? On my site above, it represents itself as the white space between the logo and the "top panel" quick links bar. 

Note: I am using multi-vendor edition, but thought these settings may be in the same place and have a broader audience?

thanks so much for your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• Store-menu.PNG

#261666 Configure "account" And "cart" Menu Bar Appearance

Posted by Fossils on 18 October 2016 - 07:49 AM in Configuration

Where are the settings to modify the appearance of the "My Account" and "Cart" in the menu bars?

I want to simplify them and make it simply say "Account" instead of "My Account" and change the icon on the "Cart" among other things possibly. 

For example, it says "(Icon) 2 Item(s) for $1,865" and I would want the logic to be smart enough to say Items if there is more than 1, or Item if only 1 item instead of the (s) for maybe plural or maybe not. Also, instead of " for " which consumes a lot of space, may want to make it simply "(Icon) 2 Items: $1,865"

thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• Account and Cart Top Menu Appearance.PNG

#261555 Quick Links Bar - Sub Menus

Posted by Fossils on 17 October 2016 - 07:05 AM in Multi-Vendor Edition

It looks like there are limited options for configuring a sub-menu on the quick links bar at the top. 

Is there an addon or some code I could implement to gain more flexibility for configuring these quick link menus?

Example image attached as what it looks like now:

http://fossils1.wwwl...teeth-for-sale/

When you look at "fossils for sale" and I selected to show sub-menus for categories, it just makes one huge vertical column that goes off the page. It has no options for selecting only certain categories or sub categories, and it has no option to spread horizontally like the typical category menu does. Example from "fossilera.com" of a menu that spreads horizontally as well as example from the cs-cart category bar below it. 

So bottom line is that I would like to be able to configure the quick links bar at the top in a way to display the categories or selected key categories and sub categories in a better way that is more similar to the categories bar that spreads horizontally... and ability to either build this set of menus and sub menus manually or have it automatically build from categories built into the website, but allow me to turn on or off certain categories from this menu.

And beyond just products and product categories, same issue with the "pages" sub-menu but even worse since it seems there is no way to add links to categories of the blog. 

http://fossils1.wwwl...ed.com/blog-en/

If I want the user to be able to use the quick links bar for "blog" to hover and see a category underneath called "book reviews" and another collecting "collecting", there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. 

Or If I want to set up a menu that has only select pages or certain pages instead of all pages or no pages... 

there has to be a better way! 

thanks much for your help all!!

Attached Thumbnails

• quick-links-sub-menus-categories.PNG
  • category-bar-horizontal-spread.PNG
  • fossilera-top-bar-expanded.PNG
  • quick-links-sub-menus.PNG
  • fossilera-top-bar.PNG

#261537 Category Tiles And Image Spacing / Border

Posted by Fossils on 17 October 2016 - 06:41 AM in Multi-Vendor Edition

Is there an addon or simple way to make "category tiles" on my homepage?

For example, each category or selected categories to have an image in a grid that links to the category or categories of designated products? 

I could imagine it being a simple html block that is an image with a link and text underneath it that can just add blocks for each category or link... this might be easiest way if there isn't an addon already set up to do it...

Link to example site:  https://www.stonesbones.com/

And for image spacing --- how do I reduce the white space gaps between each image of products and categories images? and I want to get rid of the border as well on the products category page... example of what my development site looks like here: (and attached image)

http://fossils1.wwwl...ssils-for-sale/

Attached Thumbnails

• category-tile-examples.PNG
  • Too-much-white-space.PNG

#261412 Embed Video Error: Html Tags Cut Off Because Of Restrictions Inserting Html Tags

Posted by Fossils on 14 October 2016 - 08:55 AM in Multi-Vendor Edition

I made the change to false and still receive the error when trying to embed video on product pages as well.