Storekeeper's Content

There have been 28 items by Storekeeper (Search limited from 26-Jun 18)

Sort by                Order  

#128104 How does this site load so fast?

Posted by Storekeeper on 19 December 2011 - 11:57 PM in General Questions

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights. I've always wandered why asp sites were so blindly fast, and now I know. Also makes me feel better about my choice of CS-Cart, that I'd always second-guessed when visiting these sites.

#128099 Help. with Option with Stock?

Posted by Storekeeper on 19 December 2011 - 10:58 PM in General Questions

Some more info for you on that.

#126704 Missing trailing slashes in URL are causing duplicate content issue

Posted by Storekeeper on 24 November 2011 - 08:12 PM in SEO

YEAAAAH !! :D

Thanks Adrian8, these 3 lines solved my problem!!!

So now all my categories redirect properly to the url with the trailing slash, and I don't have to worry about duplicate content anymore!

Great suggestion, and way better than the canonical solution I was resigned to adopting.

THANK YOU!

Hi Storekeeper,

Try this code before any other rewrite code:-

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.[^./]+$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://domain.com/$1/ [R=301,L]

First line checks that the url does not contain . (dot reference to any file)
Second line checks if url is missing a / trailing slash (avoids 301 redirect if trailing slash is already appended)
Last line finally appends trailing slash and redirect only to directories without the trailing slash

Hope this solves your issue :)

#126703 Missing trailing slashes in URL are causing duplicate content issue

Posted by Storekeeper on 24 November 2011 - 07:41 PM in SEO

Hi, Struck, thanks for taking the time to read my massive post all the way to the canonicals part at the end.

I did look into that addon, and while quite interesting and useful, it does not do the simple thing I need, which is to basically insert a tag redirecting a page to its complete url (with trailing slash) - and only for the category pages.

Also, it seems like I don't really need a whole addon, only to insert a couple lines of code in one of the templates. Don't know how to do it, but I would love it someone could fill in the blanks in my knowledge base... :rolleyes:

This addon is in fact so powerful and far-reaching in its results that it requires quite a bit of skill to use wisely, otherwise it may decimate your rankings, as I suspected may have (possibly - not sure) happened to this poor fellow.

But again, thanks for suggesting it.

Hi Storekeeper,

Just have time to post a quick link to a 3rd party addon which may be of benefit to you.

http://www.cscartroc...-fix-addon.html

Hope it helps! ;)

#126653 Missing trailing slashes in URL are causing duplicate content issue

Posted by Storekeeper on 23 November 2011 - 09:37 PM in SEO

Summary:

These two urls are returning server response 200 OK, and are therefore considered TWO distinct separate pages:

mydomain/cscartstore/some-category/
mydomain/cscartstore/some-category
Both are obviously resolving to the same category page in my cart, but this is causing:

1 - Google to warn me of duplicate content in GWT, and
2 - splitting of page rank, PR, and links between these 2 urls, making each less relevant.
3 - traffic in GA is also split, clearly indicating Google is treating these urls as distinct.

To avoid both page dilution, and potentially severe content duplication penalties, I am trying to enforce the use of the trailing slash for all directories throughout my site, and this is
what I've done so far:

Elsewhere in my site (besides the store directory), I've resolved this issue easily with the following htaccess redirect

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^(.*[^/])$ /$1/ [L,R=301]
that I've added to my root htaccess, and also to the htacess files in each directory (if a directory has one). As a result, if someone types in

mydomain/somedir

in their browser, then the url is automatically changed to

mydomain/somedir/ (with the slash),

as the page is redirected. And I get these server responses:

mydomain/somedir   ==> 301 redirected to    mydomain/somedir/
mydomain/somedir/  ==> 200 OK
which are exactly the right responses I should get. So my site in general is in great shape and not having duplicate content issues,

EXCEPT

for the cart categories, that don't seem to obey the htaccess above that works perfectly elsewhere.

I've been pulling my hair looking for a solution to this, and would appreciate any advice please.

More details:

a) - as you see above, I have the store in a directory, not at the root of my site. At the same level of the store I have other directories, all obeying the htaccess directive and not creating any duplicate issue. Examples:

mydomain/anydir/subdir1                   redirects to: mydomain/anydir/subdir1/
mydomain/another-dir/subdir2              redirects to: mydomain/another-dir/subdir2/
mydomayn/yetanotherdir/subdir3/subsubdir  redirects to: mydomay/yetanotherdir/subdir3/subsubdir/
mydomain/cscartstore                      redirects to: mydomain/cscartstore/ ( ==> up to here the htaccess redirect works fine)
mydomain/cscartstore/a-category           DOES NOT redirect at all and shows the "A Category" page under url without trailing slash

b ) - I am using the SEO addon, and in it I've chosen to display categories as /category/ That is working fine from links within the cart, so for instance if I go to the menu and select a category, it will show correctly with the "/" as in

mydomain/cscartstore/example-category/

c) - HOWEVER, if someone links to this category from their own site and forgets the trailing slash (which is not only common, but beyond my control in many cases), as in

mydomain/cscartstore/example-category

then Google will eventually crawl that link back to my store and index this url without the trailing slash, failing to identify it with the one having the trailing slash. And that's the source of my content duplication issues. So even though I am being consistent in my internal links, sitemap, etc, this issue still appears and I need to address it.

d) - Besides the htaccess redirect (which is not working for CS-Cat categories only), another solution is to use a canonical tag in the "head" section of every single category page, redirecting the "non-/" to the "/" url version. There are 3 issues with this solution:

1 - Google does not necessarily follows (respect) canonical tags as they would a htaccess 301 redirect

2 - Google may not notice the "/" at the end of the canonical url (web reports are conflicting on this) and therefore not see the difference in this one particular redirecting circumstance, although separating "non-/" from the "/" urls for other purposes - such as when indexing, for example. (and yes, Google is not consistent in their approach of this situation, as even they admit).

3 - This canonical redirect would need to be done automatically, by adding code in the head section of the page-creating template, such as this:

<link rel="canonical" href="{page_url}">
that would become, in the html page created for a category named (let's say) "A Category":

<link rel="canonical" href="http://mydomain.com/cscartstore/a-category/">

So if you do know how to implement this, and would like to contribute information or code, then your contribution will be highly appreciated by me and others in this circumstance and I thank you in advance.

:)

#125449 Access denied: CSRF attack ?

Posted by Storekeeper on 06 November 2011 - 05:02 PM in Configuration

Well, just for fun I thought I would increase store security a bit by turning on this switch in config.local.php:

'anti_csfr' => false, // protect forms from CSFR attacks (experimental)
to

'anti_csfr' => true, // protect forms from CSFR attacks (experimental)

That was a couple days ago, and I don't remember if I logged back in since as the Admin (or if I ever logged out, to be honest), but this morning when I tried to login instead of the admin panel I got this message in a otherwise blank page:

Access denied: CSRF attack

So I wander now if:

Is anyone here using this successfully? And how?

I know it says "experimental" and all, but a more secure site is a good thing to have.

Any advice appreciated!

(BTW, I was able to login once I turned it back to "false")

#125387 Prouct page "The word Price"

Posted by Storekeeper on 05 November 2011 - 06:19 AM in General Questions

Thanks for the clarification. Very elucidating.

#125379 Prouct page "The word Price"

Posted by Storekeeper on 05 November 2011 - 04:13 AM in General Questions

I needed to change price to something else myself, and tried messing with adding language variabels and such but eventually gave up and requested help that from the official support team.

And I guess it was not easy, because on the first try they resolved that but broke something else, on the second they fixed both issues but created another, and finally the third was the charm. And these are the engineers that work on the cart daily.

#125052 Bulk Product Addition

Posted by Storekeeper on 01 November 2011 - 07:48 AM in General Questions

No risk, no reward. You can do it the hard way, editing products later to add skus.

#124856 Same Titled Products

Posted by Storekeeper on 29 October 2011 - 05:42 PM in General Questions

isnt this what u need.

John, that led to a 404 page when I tried it.

But if I use the product option, isn't that just one field?

No, you can set up several options, one for each aspect of product. Ex: color, size, type, etc. In your case, size and speed would do the trick.

If people want to filter by capacity they will be unable to do so, is the way I understood that correct?

THAT, my friend andup, is what I am talking about here. It's driving me NUTS.

#124853 Clean url problem!

Posted by Storekeeper on 29 October 2011 - 05:08 PM in General Questions

Storekeeper replied in this thread but I can't find it now (it was in my email).

He said:

"She" said, maybe? We women can be storekeepers too! ;)

For the purpose of ranking, especially since this is a new site, I think I need to do the Excel trick. This would probably alleviate the work of going into Google and removing those urls each time they pop up.

Being this a new site, likely without backlinks or good SERP positions, there is no harm in waiting since all pages are starting from the bottom. The good ones will rise, the others disappear as Google clean up its index in time. I would personally just let Google do its work itself, and would worry about something else. Now, if you had backlinks or a good SERP position, then it would be a different situation.

But that's just me, since I still have a lot of homework to do on my own site setup. Yours already look great!

I sure appreciate the help that people provide in this forum. Everyone is so friendly, even support is friendly. I am very happy to have chosen csCart! :D

I share your feelings and am happy I'm not alone in this! :D

#124808 Clean url problem!

Posted by Storekeeper on 29 October 2011 - 03:05 AM in General Questions

I believe the links within CS-Cart are working and redirecting just fine, but Jeanne (the OP) is referring to the links she saw in Google Webmaster Tools console under "crawl errors".

These come from Google not finding anymore the old links it had indexed prior to the SEO changes, because now they don't exist anymore except in Google's memory (index cache).

If they had any SEO value (i.e. external backlinks pointing to them, or a position within the first 50 search results), then a 301 redirect is a good idea, otherwise she can just do nothing and let time take care of that.

Google will recognize the content in its future crawls and will eventually replace the urls in its index. And slowly these crawl errors will disappear from WMT.

Based on my experience, even if you want to expedite this and create the 301 redirects, it may be weeks/months before the old ones disappear from the console.

#124807 Visitors need to Filter by Product Options

Posted by Storekeeper on 29 October 2011 - 02:49 AM in General Questions

Thank you Derbytown for taking the time to advise.

I will contact him about this following your suggestion.

If anyone else can help, I'd appreciate any contribution.

I emailed cscartrocks a couple weeks ago but got no response... :(

Would anybody else have a suggestion on how to filter by options?

It seems to me that this would be an obvious need for anyone who uses options and wants happy customers! Am I missing something here?

#124804 MOD: Add word counter to meta descriptions & keywords

Posted by Storekeeper on 29 October 2011 - 01:53 AM in Third-Party Services

This was a great idea, and I followed the instructions (that were very clear) to the letter, however the result is still

Word Count : 0

regardless of how many words I type in the SEO/Meta Meta description box in the product edit/add page.

I am using the 2.2.3 version and this was tested with 2.1.4 so I wander if this could be the reason.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Any help is appreciated

#124478 The Width/height Of The Blocks

Posted by Storekeeper on 25 October 2011 - 01:27 AM in Configuration

Strange result you got - I was able to widen center block as you want by just disabling both side columns in design/blocks. May be a different version, I'm using 2.2.3.

#124412 Image Thumbnails in order details page

Posted by Storekeeper on 24 October 2011 - 02:10 AM in Hints & Modifications

Thanks for the tip - I was looking for that as well.

#124236 how to change things on site

Posted by Storekeeper on 21 October 2011 - 01:29 PM in General Questions

In my experience, the fastest way to get these answers is by simply googling them. You'll be surprised at how many times they've been answered before. There is plenty of information in this forum and in the knowledge base and Google gets them all at once for you.

#123883 Visitors need to Filter by Product Options

Posted by Storekeeper on 17 October 2011 - 01:21 PM in General Questions

Thank you Derbytown for taking the time to advise.

I will contact him about this following your suggestion.

If anyone else can help, I'd appreciate any contribution.

#123835 Visitors need to Filter by Product Options

Posted by Storekeeper on 16 October 2011 - 11:22 PM in General Questions

colortone:

Thanks again for your time composing a detailed description of what that addon can do. It's probably great for those who can benefit from it, however, how is that related to product options at all?

Unless you are suggesting that I manually do what I described above, and create Features that parallel (mirror) my Product Options. So if I have a Product Option "Sizes", then I would create a Feature named "Size" and finally a Filter ("Choose Your Size") based on this new Feature "Size". The visitors would use the Filter to select only Products whose Feature Size matches their choice.

If that's your idea, then I don't really see the need for this Addon, since CS-Cart seems to hide the filtered-out options by default. As an example, please visit the demo cart and choose Adidas. Notice that the price range $100-$150 automatically disappears, because there are no Adidas products in that price range. This "narrowing-down effect" is not due to this addon but standard cart behavior.

Beside, using only Features and not Options won't work for me because of inventory control, so I would need to keep Options and create mirrored Features.

However,I will have to synchronize them manually each time I run out of a Option (or Combination). i.e., no more Laced Spiked-Heel shoes in size 48? Then I would go edit its Product Feature and uncheck size 48 so it wouldn't show up anymore in the Filtered Results for size 48. That's easy to do if you only have a few static products, but if you have thousands and work with close-outs, then it's a nightmare to try to keep Features synchronized with your actual physical inventory.

That's why I suggested automation for this task.

WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET is the Product Option "Clothing Size:" (see this demo cart page) that you see in the product block at the center to be ALSO in the left column as a Filter - as in the Macy's example above.

I hope to have made it clear this time, if not please let me know.

#123821 Visitors need to Filter by Product Options

Posted by Storekeeper on 16 October 2011 - 09:45 PM in General Questions

Check the "Multiple Select Filters" from cscartrocks. the filters block updates depending on what category are you in:

http://forum.cs-cart...__1#entry123139

colortone:

Thanks for the suggestion, however this addon does not address the need stated in the title and in the OP.

It only Filters by Features (a standard CS-Cart feature) however

it does NOT Filter by Product Options (Combinations)

Again, thanks for trying.

#123797 Visitors need to Filter by Product Options

Posted by Storekeeper on 16 October 2011 - 06:08 PM in General Questions

How come visitors cannot filter by Product Options, only by features and a few other criteria (price, in stock, free shipping)?

Please visit this Macy's category page to quickly understand what I mean. (and YES, I love shoes!)

In this "Category" page example,

• one of first Filters on the left side column is "Size" (a typical CS-Cart Product Option), and
  • it is displayed conveniently as small buttons (instead of a list as CS-Cart would)

I've been trying to get at least "1" (the filter) to work in my CS-Cart Pro 2.2.3 store, but can't!

It seems so basic that instead of showing visitors all products in a category as it happens now, you'd display only what in their sizes AND that you have in stock, so they can quickly find what to buy from you.

NOT having this capability means that a visitor now (in the common situation when the physical stockroom is not fully stocked with all products in all sizes at all times):

• sees all products displayed in the category page, and then
  • has to go into a product page to find out if there is any in stock in his or her size, and if not
  • go back to category page and find another product, and then
  • repeat 1->3 until visitor finds something that fits (or more likely give up and go elsewhere)

<rant> What kind of illogical routine is that?? Making it hard and frustrating for visitors to find what to buy in your store is opposed to the whole concept of having an online store. They might as well go to a competitor who respects their time and doesn't try their patience. </rant>

So I want to allow visitors to Filter by Product Options (or more precisely, their Combinations). I guess the easiest path to accomplish that would be to "automagically" create and dynamically synchronize new Features based on Products Options (since Features can in turn be easily used to create Filters), but I know little about the structure and code of CS-Cart.

Please let me know if I am missing something easy here, or if you have any ideas on how to accomplish this.

Thanks!

PS - Notice I haven't even touched on Macy's feature "2" above, using buttons for filters - that is nice but not needed for "1" to work. Also notice that Macy's does the same for "Color" (down their page), another typical CS-Cart Product Option.

#123791 Add-On Feedback

Posted by Storekeeper on 16 October 2011 - 02:08 PM in General Questions

Sno,

I am looking exactly for what you described above:

"an options filter addon which would filter through all selected options, ex: if you selected to view only t-shirts in size small and color red, then only those products would show"

This is a basic requirement for a store that uses options, and I am quite disappointed to find out that it's not available yet in cs-cart.

Maybe the easiest path would be to create features from options automatically, but I don't know much about the code.

I understand that this isn't the subject of this thread, so we should start a new one about this sorely needed feature.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about this.

Thanks.

#122898 Web hosting warns of shutting down hosting account

Posted by Storekeeper on 04 October 2011 - 03:13 PM in Web Hosting

If you like this host or don't want to go thru the trouble of relocating, check with them about plan upgrades, where everything stays the same and they just give you more capacity to run the cart. That will likely speed it up as well.

#122876 Don't display empty categories.

Posted by Storekeeper on 04 October 2011 - 02:15 AM in Configuration

Won't hide categories (and their result pages) have a negative impact on SEO if search engines have seen these pages already? Not to mention that external links to them will get broken and eventually lost.

On the other hand, empty category result pages have all the same content "keep walking, nothing to look at here folks" - so there could be a rank penalty for duplicate content as well.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone had any insight on best practice and results of hiding empty categories, at least from a SEO stand.

From the visitors point of view, it makes for a cleaner look and more productive visit, specially on a site with many categories and not enough products.

#122875 Delivery time, warranty, shipping costs

Posted by Storekeeper on 04 October 2011 - 01:34 AM in Configuration

Wow, that was a great answer, and although the OP never replied to let us know whether it worked (or even to acknowledge it), I will definitively save this as a "guide to add a field" for future use.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.