utilityempire's Content

There have been 24 items by utilityempire (Search limited from 14-May 20)

Sort by                Order  

#122124 Hey where can I sell my CS-Cart license?

Posted by utilityempire on 22 September 2011 - 05:49 PM in Off-Topic/General Chat

I agree, its a shame they won't let you sell it on. I've also got a lifetime free upgrade licence which I don't use. I would have thought it would have been better to allow the licence to be sold on and keep the user base up.

#97812 Interspire Shopping Cart 6 vs CS-Cart 2.1x

Posted by utilityempire on 12 December 2010 - 12:51 PM in Off-Topic/General Chat

Be very careful of Interspire, it's basically just the self hosted version of BigCommerce. I had used BC for 5 months and gave up. Just didn't feel I could rely on them.

If you look at either set of forums you will find a lot of issues. Some of these effect BC more than Interspire but it well suffer from the same bugs and broken features as BC.

Interspire is also way more expensive than CS Cart and has less features. Interspire/BC have concentrated on the flashy features at the expense of the core functions. Upgrades have been very buggy and support is shocking. You wait days to get an answer.

Don't be sucked in by the flash, CS Cart offers you much more flexibility and core features for much less money than Interspire and it is a much better company to deal with.

If you are interested in Interspire then try the free trial of BC first. Just make sure any features you like are in Interspire and test every feature you are going use actually works correctly. If it doesn't, then don't believe any promises that it is being worked on or coming soon as they don't always materialise.

#97174 Looking to Hire a CS Cart Expert

Posted by utilityempire on 05 December 2010 - 01:43 PM in Third-Party Services

Hi All,

I'm looking to have some changes made to my site. The changes relate specifically to the first step of the checkout process, where you need to either Sign In,Register or Checkout as Guest.

I don't want to go into to much detail on the forum but basically I want any mention of register option removed and for the remaining options to be swapped so that sign in is on the right instead of the left.

If anyone is interested in getting more details and providing a quote then please PM me and I can provide you with much better detail as to what I want to achieve.

Thanks

John

#97113 cscart_stored_sessions

Posted by utilityempire on 04 December 2010 - 06:35 PM in General Questions

Just wanted to say thanks for the clarification. My Internet has been down all week and not able to post before.

Thanks again

John

#96619 "Placing the order. Please be patient"

Posted by utilityempire on 30 November 2010 - 01:35 AM in Configuration

What payment methods is this happening for?
It could be your payment processor.

Try enabling cheque payment and test it. If everything goes through ok then you know your issue isn't CS Cart.

Have you checked your hosting log files and cs cart log files to see if any errors are shown?

#96488 cscart_stored_sessions

Posted by utilityempire on 28 November 2010 - 06:30 PM in General Questions

After removing everything site works much faster, DB size decreased 80-90%.

Just to be clear. Do you mean select Empty in phpMyAdmin?

Thanks

John

#96431 CS-Cart Vs. Competitors

Posted by utilityempire on 27 November 2010 - 02:12 PM in Off-Topic/General Chat

I was never a fan of Prestashop either but they are working on a new version which has a lot of changes in it.

You can download a test version from their website. Not sure if it addresses any of the issues raised here though.

They have added a one page checkout, but I really dont like the layout of it.

The biggest problem with these free carts is that you need to rely on extra add on's to get all the functions you need.

Magneto is just such a nightmare to work with. I keep trying out every now and then and it is just terrible to work with.

The only free one that I thought looked promising was OpenCart but I haven't tried it in a while.

Hosted carts have their own strengths and weaknesses. Normally easier to set up and get operational quicker but limit you in terms of changes you can make to code and if your site is slow your stuffed.

They also tend to be expensive.

I think CS cart offers a heck of a lot for the price and has come on leaps and bounds

#96263 Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - .htaccess - Step 5

Posted by utilityempire on 25 November 2010 - 03:09 PM in Hints & Modifications

Hello Brandon,

With this simple added code, your website is faster to 1/2 second.

I tried this code out, I don't really have a clue about it but thought I would try it.

I don't think it works correctly on my site though. Is it the

/skins/YOUR_SKIN/customer/index.tpl file that you ad this too?

When I compare the output I get for my site with chunkview shows basically the whole of my index page in chunk form-about 23 of them.

Was worth a try :-)

Thanks again Lee for more great suggestions.

#95954 Error while installing?

Posted by utilityempire on 22 November 2010 - 11:48 PM in Installation & Upgrade

If you haven't already, check with them how they run PHP. If it's shared hosting tou are on then you will probably have to ignore the file recommendations that CS Cart provide as they will probably break your install.

If you ask Hostgator they should be able to tell you. Come back on here and we can confirm what permissions you should set on your files.

#95949 Error while installing?

Posted by utilityempire on 22 November 2010 - 10:56 PM in Installation & Upgrade

Hi, you need to tell us how your PHP is set to run on your server.

I think this error is because you have the wrong file permissions set.

Ask your hosting provided if your PHP is running as CGI, phpSuExec, SuPHP, or FCGI or as DSO.

If your PHP is run as CGI, phpSuExec, SuPHP, or FCGI or as DSO then you need to ensure you have folders as 755 and files as 644

If it's DSO then you should have your permissions set as per https://www.cs-cart....stallation.html

Hope this helps.

John

#95662 Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - .htaccess - Step 5

Posted by utilityempire on 20 November 2010 - 06:01 PM in Hints & Modifications

Hi Lee,

Thanks for all your tips.

I'm testing with CS Cart at the moment so have just added the .htaccess you provided.

Just a quick question, do you have eAccelerator installed and active on your server?
If so, do you have optimization and cache enabled?

Also, what type of caching have you selected in CS Cart?

Thanks

John

#95514 Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - Step 1

Posted by utilityempire on 18 November 2010 - 08:38 PM in Hints & Modifications

Hi,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Lee for all of these tips.

Has anyone tried out the Apache module created by Google. It's supposed to automate some of the things that their Page Speed tool highlights.

Details here:- http://googlecode.bl...run-faster.html
Also, has anyone had any experience with CloudFlare, http://www.cloudflare.com/
I did try it on one of my other sites and it did seem to make a difference to load times.

It's fairly easy to use, just need to change your DNS. I've not tried it with a CS Cart site as the free account can't be used on sites that have SSL enabled.

So who's going to be the guinepig and try either of these out :D

John

#95512 Speed Up Your CS-Cart eCommerce Website - .htaccess - Step 5

Posted by utilityempire on 18 November 2010 - 08:29 PM in Hints & Modifications

Hi Lee,

Just wanted to say thank you for all these great tips you have given us all.

Quick question about the above .htaccess file. Is this for use with Smartoptimizer?

Thanks

John

#95467 SSL Issues

Posted by utilityempire on 18 November 2010 - 01:54 PM in Security

Hi,

Not sure if this will help or not, but you could try the SSL checker at this site http://www.sslshoppe...sl-checker.html

I used it on mine and it did highlight an issues with how I had installed the SSL on my server.

Just a sugestion

Cheers

John

#95262 Hosting

Posted by utilityempire on 17 November 2010 - 01:02 AM in Web Hosting

@ utilityempire
What whould you tell them on the phone??? That your server or site is down? Will the phone communication speed up to resolve an issue??? NO, just you pay more for the people they are talking with you-that's all.

Just to take you up on the "..just pay more..." comment.

The host I'm with is UK based, offers all the support options I mentioned and I'm paying less to them than I would pay to Martfox for a much better specced VPS.

So not sure why you seem to think you pay more for hosting with Live Chat/Phone Support when that isn't the case.

#95260 Zapped Thread - Offtopic conversations about unrelated hosting company

Posted by utilityempire on 17 November 2010 - 12:57 AM in Web Hosting

Do you believe, the call will seed it up??? No, the person can just tell you that what will be told through a ticket or email.

I beleive I gave you an example of how it helped in my previous post but in case you missed it:-

"I normally use live chat but I did have an instance where telephone support got an issue resolved that live chat didn't."

Your the one that is making the big deal about telephone support, not me. I suggested it with other options.

Would I go with a host that didn't offer some form of Live Chat/Phone Support? No, I wouldn't.

Why? Because these two options do get things resolved quicker than a ticket/email. That is based on my experience.

And, in case you missed it again:-

"I normally use live chat..."

So it's clear your the one making the big deal out of phone support. Not me.

#95259 Zapped Thread - Offtopic conversations about unrelated hosting company

Posted by utilityempire on 17 November 2010 - 12:47 AM in Web Hosting

Then np with Martfox support....

Wasn't aware the poster had asked anything about Martfox so not sure what you have contributed to this thread.

Well, apart from the obvious plug you just gave Martfox of course.

#95254 Zapped Thread - Offtopic conversations about unrelated hosting company

Posted by utilityempire on 17 November 2010 - 12:35 AM in Web Hosting

@ utilityempire
What whould you tell them on the phone??? That your server or site is down? Will the phone communication speed up to resolve an issue??? NO, just you pay more for the people they are talking with you-that's all.

God forbid anyone has a different opinion to you or suggests something that the host you plug doesn't offer!

Did I say phone support only? No, I did not. I mentioned it along with other support options. Main point is 24/7 support.

I normally use live chat but I did have an instance where telephone support got an issue resolved that live chat didn't.

Telephone support is handy if a support ticket doesn't appear to be getting resolved our looked at. It's a lot harder to ignore sum one when they are on the phone. I've tried the hosting company you flog and it was NOT a good experience at all. The test site was painfully slow.

#95229 Hosting

Posted by utilityempire on 16 November 2010 - 09:55 PM in Web Hosting

No matter who you choose, the one thing I would absolutely do is to make sure you host with a company with US based servers (seeing as you are in AZ) and 24/7 phone and/or ticket support.

I would 100% agree with this. Always host your server in the same location as the majority of your customers. Locating it elsewhere can just add to the difficulty of keeping your site responsive.

Don't underestimate the importance of 24/7 support. Any decent, professional hosts should be providing 24/7 support. My current host provides Live Chat, Telephone support, Ticket, Email and forum support 24/7. It's worth paying extra to have this extra peace of mind as you never know when you may need it.

#94495 cscart 2.1.2 released

Posted by utilityempire on 10 November 2010 - 07:11 PM in General Questions

Hi all,

Can anyone who has upgraded comment on CS Carts performance improvement claims?

Has anyone noticed a big improvement in the front end?

Thanks
John

#94376 Make your websites run faster, automatically -- try mod_pagespeed for Apache

Posted by utilityempire on 09 November 2010 - 11:59 PM in Web Hosting

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had tried this Apache module created by Google?

It's supposed to automate some of the things that their Page Speed tool highlights.

http://googlecode.bl...run-faster.html

#92063 BigCommerce 6 - Good features

Posted by utilityempire on 15 October 2010 - 04:00 PM in General Questions

Hi,

I've had a CS Cart licence for a while but decided to set up a store on BigCommerce as it's easier and quicker.

BC is good if you just want a basic, easy to use application.

If your thinking of switching to them then make sure the features your going for actually work. There are a LOT of bugs.

MailChimp integration doesn't work correctly, issues with QuickBooks and eBay integration as well. The checkout isn't terrible but does have some strange wording in places which can be confusing.

Support, if your outside the USA, is via ticket and is very slow. You normally will be waiting more than 24 hours for any reply and they don't offer 24 hour support.

The the big plus point they should have PCI compliance-they don't have it.

They have been promising it was going to happen soon since Feb of this year but it hasn't happened and they have gone silent on the issue.

If being PCI compliant is important to you then my advice would be to wait till they are compliant.

If your happy with the features they offer and you fully test everything works the way you want it to work during your free trial then go for it. You end up with a nice looking site which should do what you want it to do.

If your going to join based on promised new features or fixes - then wait for them to appear.

You can have a look at there Customer Forum at http://community.big...com/bigcommerce

They have announced some new features that are due next week which are interesting and useful.

I personally would be happy to stay with them if they would make some sort of announcement regarding PCI compliance.

In general though. If you have a site up and running on CS Cart then switching to BC means you will actually be switching to a cart with less features.

Try out the Free Trial and test everything you want/need works. If your happy then it may be for you.

Remember, the grass isn't always greener and if you switch carts then normally your just switching one set of frustrations for a new set as no cart is perfect:(

Hope that helps some. Didn't come on here to bash BC, the basic product is good.

#91844 Quick question about VPS memory?

Posted by utilityempire on 12 October 2010 - 09:41 PM in Web Hosting

Thank for the reply. I've already looked at them and they can't compete on price in this case.

#91806 Quick question about VPS memory?

Posted by utilityempire on 12 October 2010 - 04:36 PM in Web Hosting

Hi,

I've not used CS Cart for a few months but am planing on setting up a new site and have been looking at hosting. I prefer VPS hosting as it allows me a little more freedom and control compared to shared hosting.

From reading through a few threads it appears that the amount of memory you have available is very important for CS Cart and I have found some very interesting offers from Future Hosting.

Do you think I would notice any difference if I choose 768MB,1024MB or 1536MB?

The host has advised that all nodes have at least 4 - 8 CPUs, 8 - 32 GB RAM and Raid 10 with SA-SCSI drives for fast I/O.

Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated.