Centos 6 Or Centos 7

Having a new server built would you suggest Centos 6 or 7 ???

Don't think it matters much other than the version of PHP that is available. PHP7 should be available in both.

I'd assume that Centos 7 would have most recent security changes, updated cypher keys, etc. But 6 probably has those changes too.

Don't think it matters much other than the version of PHP that is available. PHP7 should be available in both.

I'd assume that Centos 7 would have most recent security changes, updated cypher keys, etc. But 6 probably has those changes too.

Thanks Tony....

It sure does but if you start from scratch then I would go for CentOS/RHEL 7 as I just did or ... working in progress I should say.

Going Cold Turkey on the WHM/Cpanel thing :mrgreen:

It sure does but if you start from scratch then I would go for CentOS/RHEL 7 as I just did or ... working in progress I should say.

Going Cold Turkey on the WHM/Cpanel thing :mrgreen:

We will be moving a site from Centos 6 over to Centos 7.. Do you think that will cause issues...???

We will be moving a site from Centos 6 over to Centos 7.. Do you think that will cause issues...???

No actually not to be expected. But in all honesty I am used to working with a WHM Cpanel (CentOS 6.9) configuration but I plan to move away from Cpanel as many have pointed out that WHM Cpanel might not be the fastest server solution for running a ecommerce platform like CS Cart. Problem for me moving away from WHM Cpanel is the learning curve of doing more via the command line.

As for again as CS Cart installations having issues with CentOS 7 I think you will be good to go.

Did it for one of our customer, no issues appeared.

I plan to move away from Cpanel as many have pointed out that WHM Cpanel might not be the fastest server solution for running a ecommerce platform like CS Cart

Curious what you see as run-time impacts to performance from Cpanel/WHM other than it using include files for Apache VirtualHost definitions (but these are cached after first use)? What have you measured? While there are some performance issues relative to using suPHP (though very small), you can certainly use a different PHP mode from WHM/Cpanel.

The other thing to consider is the technical strength of your team versus the ease of use of WHM/Cpanel (or other Admin panels). Updateing/managing Apache configurations manually can be a huge pain and can cause you more downtime than you'd ever experience using an Admin Helper. Even simple tasks like adding a temporary FTP user to help with some development can be a much more difficult and error prone task NOT using an Admin Helper application like WHM/Cpanel and undoing those types of 'adds' can be even more challenging in a native enviroment

Note also that biggest issue I encounter with client sites is based on directory/file ownership/permissions. Using an unmanaged environment will only add to those issues if you don't spend the time to stay on top of it. So IMHO, one has to balance ease of use and maintainability with the need to squeeze every millisecond out of a site.

I believe using an Admin Helper like WHM/Cpanel has much greater benefit than cost to the vast majority of merchants that run cs-cart. But am curious in any performance numbers you can supply.

Curious what you see as run-time impacts to performance from Cpanel/WHM other than it using include files for Apache VirtualHost definitions (but these are cached after first use)? What have you measured? While there are some performance issues relative to using suPHP (though very small), you can certainly use a different PHP mode from WHM/Cpanel.

The other thing to consider is the technical strength of your team versus the ease of use of WHM/Cpanel (or other Admin panels). Updateing/managing Apache configurations manually can be a huge pain and can cause you more downtime than you'd ever experience using an Admin Helper. Even simple tasks like adding a temporary FTP user to help with some development can be a much more difficult and error prone task NOT using an Admin Helper application like WHM/Cpanel and undoing those types of 'adds' can be even more challenging in a native enviroment

Note also that biggest issue I encounter with client sites is based on directory/file ownership/permissions. Using an unmanaged environment will only add to those issues if you don't spend the time to stay on top of it. So IMHO, one has to balance ease of use and maintainability with the need to squeeze every millisecond out of a site.

I believe using an Admin Helper like WHM/Cpanel has much greater benefit than cost to the vast majority of merchants that run cs-cart. But am curious in any performance numbers you can supply.

There is much to like about an Admin Helper (nice analogy by the way) like WHM Cpanel and at the same time I read alot that may have it against it.

Pros
1. the convenience

2. the support

3. modules available

Cons

1. reputation of being not very flexible and making system admins lazy etc etc

2. not for real men/ system admins

3. overall performance ??? not very lean ?? Control Panels make slow performing webservers

4. proprietary software ???

5. bloatware ?? well perhaps yes...or not ?

I do not have the performance figures ready for you Tony but I can tell you that quite often my sites based on CS Cart have not been the fastest even one of the slowest compared to some of my felllow CS Cart store owners.

At any rate I will try my hands on a different virtual machine setup where I will base my WHM Cpanel VPS setup based on CentOS 7, 6 virtual cores, 10gig of dedicated memory and at least 60 GB of HD space.

Just install the modules I need or that are required for CS Cart to run smoothly and follow this blog articles advice and see where it leads me

https://blog.cpanel.com/the-server-that-couldnt-slow-down/

thanks for the feedback. Cpanel can chew some cpu/memory when it does daily reports and/or for some of the real-time service monitoring it does, etc. But in reality, something is going to have to do this even it it's someone who generates it manually each day and service monitoring is a must in any environment.

I guess I'd be interested to see the same cs-cart installation on a cpanel managed versus non-managed site with exactly the same HW config... I've been in this game a long time and you can get performance stats to tell you about anything you want to hear by simply being selective in what you reference and when you reference it..

Personally, I'll take some help with admin of a server environment (like a dedicated server or VPS) so I don't have to keep looking stuff up and/or having to do research to find the cause of downtime. The biggest downside I've seen is when they do an update and it breaks something. Just like cs-cart or any other application....

Supporting HTTP/2 for Website Visitors:

Users of several major web browsers are finding that sites that they previously accessed over HTTP/2 have fallen back to HTTP/1. The main reason is that browser vendors have stopped supporting one of the two common methods for upgrading a connection to HTTP/2 – Next Protocol Negotiation, or NPN – in recent versions of their browsers. As of mid‑2017, among the most popular browsers only Safari 10 still supported NPN.

To enable ALPN you will need CentOS 7.4+.