Paypal: "order Cancelled By Customer"

I am seeing this issue more and more frequently these days. Oddly CS-Cart sends an approval email to us showing it as approved but shows up in the admin area as "incompleted". And the customer is also taken back to our cart showing that "they canceled the order" and the items still in their cart. So unless we manually check all of our incompleted orders daily we don't see these missing orders. Not to mention it is causing confusion among customers. Seems to only be happening when a customer is paying using PayPal. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

What PayPal service do you use?

It seems to only be happening with PayPal Website Payments Standard

I use PayPal Website Payments Pro for CC processing but that doesn't ever seem to cause the error.

It seems to only be happening with PayPal Website Payments Standard

I use PayPal Website Payments Pro for CC processing but that doesn't ever seem to cause the error.

OK. Please also let me know CS-Cart version you use?

I am running 4.3.1. It has a lot of modifications done to it. It's so random it's hard to figure out the issue. Thought I tracked it down to being only non-U.S. orders but the more I dug into that wasn't the case. I found several U.S. orders that this happened too...but it was more likely with non-U.S. orders if I'm looking at percentages.

There have been a lot of updates to PayPal addon since 4.3.1 so I would suggest updating. Just take a look at the bug tracker.

There have been a lot of updates to PayPal addon since 4.3.1 so I would suggest updating. Just take a look at the bug tracker.

Agree, at least try to contact CS-Cart support team

I wish it was that simple. Every time I update my cart it ends up costing me thousands in compatibility updates. And then normally another few thousand in lost sales due to things not being compatible even when they are supposed to be. It is always a major PITA to do an upgrade to my store.

I have cs version 4.3.9 and also have the "order cancelled by customer" issue.

What do you see in the order status logs? As far as I can see from the code, the system should set the Open status before the customer is redirected to PayPal

I think this can appear only if order status open is set to increase inventory status.

If its a decrease status least what cart supposed to do is making order status Open.

At first I was thinking of paypal as either you got money or not, not then stuff should remain in cart, yes then order is created.

Well it is not that simple. PayPal allows bank payments and this creates a pending order. Customer can place such order but this does not necessarily mean he has or will have money in bank account when paypal will charge it.

So best case scenario is to set inventory decrease, absolutely any attempt to create Open order. Then IPN should do the rest. I must admit that versions till 44x are very PayPal website payments standard problematic.

I have the Open status to decrease inventory, so the problem is not related. When customer chooses paypal payment the order status is allways set to Open. When he pays and comes back the "order cancelled by customer" only shows to him, on the admin side it shows processed, it's only in a small time window that the cancelled status shows to the customer, afterwords paypal seems to connect to the shop and show the true status.

I've checked and tried multiple variables in the status conversion map, allways the same problem.

When it happens with ours it sends the admin an email (and I think the customer too) stating the order is approved showing their order receipt just as it should if there is no issue. But in the admin area the order goes to the incompleted area. I remember there was something screwy with PayPal when I first upgraded to 4.3.1 so I had someone modify how PayPal refunds were handled. I can't remember the exact details on what was done though but I don't think it was related to this since these are approved orders not going through.

And here is a log from one of the troubled order. I blocked out some of the customer information (XXXX) but left some of the details in there in case something looks odd. Notice how it keeps changing statuses:

Orders (status change)
Order: # 32738
— — 03/31/2017, 05:33 PM Orders (status change)
— — 03/31/2017, 05:33 PM Orders (create)
— — 03/31/2017, 05:33 PM Requests (http/https request)
URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
Request: 'cmd=_notify-validate&mc_gross=22.99&invoice=PP32738&protection_eligibility=Eligible&address_status=confirmed&item_number1=&payer_id=JLWDCEE2K652W&address_street=XXXX+137%0D%0ACiudad+Jardin&payment_date=15%3A33%3A00+Mar+31%2C+2017+PDT&option_name2_1=STEP+2%3A+%2AChoose+Your+Material&option_selection1_1=No&payment_status=Completed&option_selection3_1=JXXX01-Custom&charset=windows-XXXX&address_zip=XXXX&mc_shipping=2.99&first_name=XXX&mc_fee=0.97&address_country_code=US&address_name=XXXXX¬ify_version=3.8&custom=32738&payer_status=verified&business=XXXX%40fastdecals.com&address_country=United+States&num_cart_items=1&address_city=Canovanas&verify_sign=Aaw-Fd69z.JLuiq13ejMN-CsSMuuAsBfaeunu5LLHvmPATN.-LuSDj4-&payer_email=XXXX0428%40yahoo.com&option_name1_1=STEP+1%3A+%2A+Not+Needed+so+please+Disregard&txn_id=0ES53070VG745915X&payment_type=instant&option_name3_1=Comments+%28Optional%29&option_selection2_1=Standard+Glossy+Vinyl+%283%2B+Year%29&last_name=XXXX&address_state=PR&item_name1=Custom+%241+Credit+for+PRINT+decals&receiver_email=XXXX%40fastdecals.com&payment_fee=0.97&quantity1=1&receiver_id=2CR9NQJHPQDY2&txn_type=cart&mc_gross_1=22.99&mc_currency=USD&residence_country=US&transaction_subject=&payment_gross=22.99&ipn_track_id=f95b8b41bef8'
Response: VERIFIED
— — 03/31/2017, 05:28 PM Orders (create)

And here is a log from one of the troubled order. I blocked out some of the customer information (XXXX) but left some of the details in there in case something looks odd. Notice how it keeps changing statuses:

Orders (status change)
— — 03/31/2017, 05:33 PM Orders (create)
— — 03/31/2017, 05:33 PM Requests (http/https request)
URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
Request: 'cmd=_notify-validate&mc_gross=22.99&invoice=PP32738&protection_eligibility=Eligible&address_status=confirmed&item_number1=&payer_id=JLWDCEE2K652W&address_street=XXXX+137%0D%0ACiudad+Jardin&payment_date=15%3A33%3A00+Mar+31%2C+2017+PDT&option_name2_1=STEP+2%3A+%2AChoose+Your+Material&option_selection1_1=No&payment_status=Completed&option_selection3_1=JXXX01-Custom&charset=windows-XXXX&address_zip=XXXX&mc_shipping=2.99&first_name=XXX&mc_fee=0.97&address_country_code=US&address_name=XXXXX¬ify_version=3.8&custom=32738&payer_status=verified&business=XXXX%40fastdecals.com&address_country=United+States&num_cart_items=1&address_city=Canovanas&verify_sign=Aaw-Fd69z.JLuiq13ejMN-CsSMuuAsBfaeunu5LLHvmPATN.-LuSDj4-&payer_email=XXXX0428%40yahoo.com&option_name1_1=STEP+1%3A+%2A+Not+Needed+so+please+Disregard&txn_id=0ES53070VG745915X&payment_type=instant&option_name3_1=Comments+%28Optional%29&option_selection2_1=Standard+Glossy+Vinyl+%283%2B+Year%29&last_name=XXXX&address_state=PR&item_name1=Custom+%241+Credit+for+PRINT+decals&receiver_email=XXXX%40fastdecals.com&payment_fee=0.97&quantity1=1&receiver_id=2CR9NQJHPQDY2&txn_type=cart&mc_gross_1=22.99&mc_currency=USD&residence_country=US&transaction_subject=&payment_gross=22.99&ipn_track_id=f95b8b41bef8'
Response: VERIFIED
— — 03/31/2017, 05:28 PM Orders (create)

Where do we find these logs please ?

Where do we find these logs please ?

Administration->Logs

Is there anyone who has found a solution for this, please?
We're still experiencing this issue with customers who are choosing Paypal payment at Check-out, Customer is re-directed to Paypal's Server page to make their payment, and may get "important Order Was Cancelled By Customer" after returning to our store.
Customer writes: "I finished my transaction on the Paypal page, and it just kept loading at the part where it was about to redirect me back to your site. So, I force refreshed the page and when I got back to your site it said my order was cancelled."
I can replicate issue logged as Customer, but it's not consistent. The Paypal Processing page Circle either keeps spinning, forcing a refresh to page, triggering "important Order Was Cancelled By Customer" after returning to our store. OR everything works fine, and Paypal processing page directs you back to our store with "Order Placed.
URL for "important Order Was Cancelled By Customer" page
OR it works fine
[url=https://mnpctech.com/index.php?dispatch=checkout.complete&order_id=7706]https://mnpctech.com/index.php?dispatch=checkout.complete&order_id=7706[/url]
*I did do support tickets with both CS-CART & Paypal. Both parties said everything is OK, but
the problem still exists.

We operate a heavily added-on 4.3.8 and have always had issues with paypal transactions. We dont trust cscart to report correctly to admin with paypal orders. Every paypal order is manually checked against our paypal account and cscart payment status is manually updated. We also manual check for incomplete orders as paypal transactions sometimes disappear there.

We would like to upgrade when the latest version of cscart is relatively stable. The first couple of versions of a new release can be buggy. You can watch the bug tracker to see if paypal issues are reported in the latest versions. Hopefully soon

Paypal Tech Support response.

"If you are using Paypal Payments Standard, Auto Return does not work on Guest Checkout Payments"

I switched from Paypal Standard to Paypal Express yesterday to see if that makes a difference. We've had three orders with Express so far, without any issues. I will update everyone here if this doesn't fix the problem.

Hey everyone, sorry for late reply, but just wanted you to know it's been 10 days without any issues, after switching from Paypal standard to paypal Express!