• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Twigmo Dead? Do I Need To Change Soon?

• sycorp
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:59 PM #1

I am using Twigmo on 2 different stores right now for mobile visitors. I keep seeing messages that Twigmo is deprecated but can't find anything official about the future, and there hasn't been an updated version in almost 2 years. 

Is it dead, and if so how much time before it will stop working? I assume the alternative is to just use responsive themes? 

Thanks, 

Malcolm

Malcolm Gray
Sycorp Environmental Inc.
www.sycorp.ca

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:17 PM #2

Hello Malcolm,

First of all, thank you for being a Twigmo service user.

Yes, the latest release of Twigmo add-on for CS-Cart was 1 year 3 months 12 days ago.

Technically, it is required to rewrite each CS-Cart function in the Twigmo add-on to adapt these functions to data format of Twigmo mobile service (Twigmo was designed as a versatile service for different ecommerce solutions). In other words, we need to code the second CS-Cart software and put it inside the Twigmo add-on to copy all the CS-Cart functions to Twigmo. Obviously, we never planned to do so and added only the most useful functions.

Now there is a responsive skin in CS-Cart 4 (and Twigmo can never repeat all its functions) and the number of CS-Cart v2, v3 users (they don't have a mobile skin out of the box) is naturally decreasing (they are switching to CS-Cart 4). In this situation, it does not make sense to invest time and money in further adapting the rest of CS-Cart functions to Twigmo mobile format. But Twigmo is not dead, it continues to render mobile sites for all its clients 24/7 and we have no plans to stop this service (actually, CS-Cart v2 and v3 users have no default alternatives to it). Also, Twigmo serves the default CS-Cart add-on Mobile Admin App.

If you use CS-Cart v4 (you do), yes, we recommend to use the default responsive theme.

I hope, I have answered all your questions.

Thanks.

Alex Vinokurov,
Chief Visionary Officer at CS-Cart & Twigmo

• sycorp
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:34 PM #3

Ok, thanks for the information Alex.

I will start to incorporate a move to using the default responsive theme in our planning for the near future, and will keep using Twigmo for now then as we work towards the move. 

Malcolm

Malcolm Gray
www.sycorp.ca

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:35 PM #4

Malcolm,

You are welcome.

You can keep your current Twigmo subscriptions active if you need its mobile admin app (do you use it?), because you can switch off only displaying the mobile skin and not disable the whole add-on.

P.S. Wanted to offer you Searchanise service, but saw you used it already. 

Alex Vinokurov,

• sycorp
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:43 PM #5

We never got around to using the mobile admin app, so will just keep the front end display until such time as we can migrate. We have 2 separate stores using it, so plan to switch the smaller one first, before tackling the main one. 

We do use Searchanise and it works good, although I've never been happy with the whole billing setup between Searchanise, Twigmo, and CSCart updates, having 2 sites. everything is on a different cycle for renewal/payment. just prefer one annual fee for all services used. is more predictable especially with a constantly changing exchange rate. 

Malcolm Gray
www.sycorp.ca

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:36 PM #6

We never got around to using the mobile admin app,

You should try it:

https://itunes.apple...2.0/id895364611

https://play.google....ech.twigmoAdmin

It's useful when you are out of the desk and need to change an order status (even your courier can use it to mark the order delivered immediately), update product quantities (for example, at your warehouse), reviewing latest orders, today's statistics, etc, etc. 

so will just keep the front end display until such time as we can migrate. We have 2 separate stores using it, so plan to switch the smaller one first, before tackling the main one.

Actually, your responsive themes will be automatically visible to your mobile users if you disable Twigmo right now.

You can see them right now (without disabling Twigmo) by using this special URL:

http://www.YOURDOMAIN.CA/?desktop

(back to Twigmo - http://www.YOURDOMAIN.CA/?mobile )

We do use Searchanise and it works good, although I've never been happy with the whole billing setup between Searchanise, Twigmo, and CSCart updates, having 2 sites. everything is on a different cycle for renewal/payment. just prefer one annual fee for all services used. is more predictable especially with a constantly changing exchange rate.

I see, but unlikely it can be improved, sorry. This is a part of our life where we have dozens of different subscriptions from hosting to loans.

Alex Vinokurov,

• JackConnick
  • Trial users
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:46 AM #7

I am using he basic theme as we developed a custom look and feel to my store a few years ago. I'm not ready to spend a lot of money switching over to a responsive skin at this time.

But I need some better design control on the Twigmo mobile store.

We just updated to the latest Cs Cart v4.5.2. I don't see, not is it available the older Twigmo layout where we could make some limited changes. How do i ge that back?

Also we'd like to add basic contact info to the Twigmo pages at the bottom - email & phone. It's pretty silly that these aren't there.

Do you have a way for us to accomplish this?

Jack