Anyone Else Have Issues Upgrading On A Shared Server?

I have been having issues with upgrades stalling for some time, with 4.3.10 being the most recent. It stalls during the process, so I have to refresh the browser to stop and return to the original page (with no upgrade having completed, and have to reopen the store). I have been in contact with support and they say it's a server side issue and that my hosting company has to:

It is a server-side issue caused by the low value of the wait_timeout MySQL setting. Please contact your server administrators and ask them to increase the wait_timeout setting value to the default 28800. Also please ask them to increase max_allowed_packet MySQL setting value to 64M.

So I go to my hosting company support with this and am told they can't make these changes on a shared server and that I'd need to upgrade to a VPN or private server. Does anyone else run into this? Surely I can't be the only one on a shared server and surely that's more common than being on a private one. I assume. ?

So I go to my hosting company support with this and am told they can't make these changes on a shared server and that I'd need to upgrade to a VPN or private server. Does anyone else run into this? Surely I can't be the only one on a shared server and surely that's more common than being on a private one. I assume. ?

Hello,

I recommend you to analyze the complexity of SQL query, that your application trying to execute and doesn't fit on limits of MySQL. A lot of problems are connected with CS-Cart add-ons, which uses heavy queries and overload your database server. If you're not experienced in web-development, you should try to disable add-ons one-by-one and watch on the website reaction.

However, there comes a time when your website is too heavy to work fine on shared-hosting. You should choose between two options: set up your server using control panels with interface on your web-browser (such as cPanel, ISPManager, Plesk etc.). Ask your hosting-provider to install it on your private server. If you're going to maintain your server by yourself, it might be very useful.

Or you can trust your project to the professional hands. Our team can help you to deploy server environment for maximum performance and, of course, we will help you to move your store to one server from another with zero downtime. In addition, we have a monthly plan for those, who need a support, smart proactive monitoring and backups. Send us email to sales@simtechdev.com and we will find the best solution.

So no one else uses a shared server? Going to a dedicated server is substantially more costly.

So no one else uses a shared server? Going to a dedicated server is substantially more costly.

Hi,

this CS-Cart site http://www.pricesky-parochne.sk/ has 1144 products/690 active and there are not any problems on one of our shared servers with 78 cPanel accounts. However, we would also recommend to go to a VPS server.

Thanks Martfox. I actually have a small site - less than 100 products. My only issue comes up when I need to do an upgrade - it always stalls on me, and the best CS-Cart support can offer is either upgrade for me (for 20 support credits, for a small patch upgrade), or for me to upgrade my hosting which increases my hosting costs by $500 a year.

Anyway yes - if you have just 100 products and not too much traffic, it is inefficient to switch to a VPS at the moment just because of the upgrade issue. I think it is worth to spend the 20 support points to CS-Cart support to make the upgrade for you.

Ok thank you. I appreciate the input very much!

Ok thank you. I appreciate the input very much!

You're welcome.

I had a host that worked with me on upgrade by increasing my resources beyond the normal amount so I could upgrade and then reverted back to the "Normal" resources. Only needed the additional resources for about an hour.

I thought this was good service from the host. Not sure if your host would help you this way.

Bob

Hi Brennie

I have had issues with stalling, I am on shared server but I always get round it by carrying out the beloww...................

http://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/41558-beta-testing-of-upgrade-433-434/page-2#entry247729 (post 23)

Hope this helps

Barry

pbannette and BarryH, I will try both if my pending responses from CS-Cart yield no results. Thanks!

Just to update on this topic, I had CS-Cart support complete my upgrade to 4.1.1. I did remove the statistics table after uninstalling that addon, and that GREATLY reduced the size of my database which I think was the issue.

Thank you to Igor in support with this issue, and to everyone in these forums that responded.

I'm having issues with my shared server reseller account, I can't even get to the point of trying the fix mentioned above.

when I run the `Check PHP script timeout` check, I get the following:

Successful!

Looks like your server allows to change the "max_execution_time" option from the script. You are good to go with the upgrade process.

When I try to run the install, I simply get the following error:

Validation issue

Validator "Restore" returned fail status
Unable to prepare restore script.
Host says it's related to the script. More details here:
http://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/40878-upgrade-432-433-problem/?view=findpost&p=265348
Going to have to try something else I guess.

I'm having issues with my shared server reseller account, I can't even get to the point of trying the fix mentioned above.

when I run the `Check PHP script timeout` check, I get the following:

When I try to run the install, I simply get the following error:

Host says it's related to the script. More details here:
Going to have to try something else I guess.

Hi, if the server runs with suPHP or FCGI, the files/folders permission have to be set to 644/755. Try this:

1. change permissions of all files in your installation directory to 644

2. change permissions of all directories in your installation directory to 755

3. change the settings in your config.local.php from

// Default permissions for newly created files and directories
define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0666);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0777);

to

define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0644);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0755);

Cs-cart could do themselves a real favor and alter the setting in config.local.php to the proper values for file permissions based on an evaluation of the server where the install is being run (in generally they could look at the ownership/modes of the parent directory and make choices based on those ownerships/modes.. Additionally, they should have a spot to provide the new admin url name during installation versus requiring merchants to go move files and change the config.

Example if the parent directory is mode 750 and the owner/group don't resolve to the same name (I.e. foobar/nobody) or the parent is mode 755 then the site is probably running suPHP/FastCGI and the directory modes should be 755 and files 644. Otherwise leave it 777/644 and let it be resolved by the merchant. This would hit 98% of cases.

Note that for AWS environments, you probalby want 2775/664 for permissions since PHP runs as a different UID than the files but both run as the same group. You want the SET GID bit set on directories so that files created in them will inherit the group of the directory instead of the group of the user.

Hi, if the server runs with suPHP or FCGI, the files/folders permission have to be set to 644/755. Try this:

1. change permissions of all files in your installation directory to 644

2. change permissions of all directories in your installation directory to 755

3. change the settings in your config.local.php from

define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0666);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0777);

to

define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0644);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0755);

My server/config files is already setup that way. It was set that way long ago.

I am having the same issue, my config file is already set to 0644/0755. Do you mean the directory that cs-cart is installed to?

Ok, i've checked the var and var/upgrade permissions, i have a .htaccess file (hidden) and i still get the same error

the config.local.php will only address new files/directories created. It will not adjust existing ones. So you may need to work with your hosting to get all directories 755 (except probably the root directory which is usually 750) and all files 644.