Upgrading From 4.3.3 To 4.3.9

Can I simply install 4.3.9 in a separate folder on my server and use Store Import to

populate it with data and images from my 4.3.3 store ?

Can I simply install 4.3.9 in a separate folder on my server and use Store Import to

populate it with data and images from my 4.3.3 store ?

Yes, you can do that

Thank you guys.

There may be a problem.

With over 3000 images it will take some time but although the import says 'Finished' and the var/store_import/log says 'finished'

the images are still being imported.

There was an error shown in the log.

UPGRADE2.jpg

UPGRADE1.jpg

It sat there like a lump for 15 minutes with no further movement.

Don't worry about it guys. I have deleted 4.3.9 from the folder on my server and will continue with 4.3.3

until such time as your Store Import actually works. I followed the procedure accurately

and it simply didn't work.

I think 433 to 439 does not do anything to folder structure, when I did upgrade I have just moved whole image dir with direct admin, takes few seconds..

make a following setup

root store on / and db connects to for example 433 db

now make a duplicate copy on /433 connects to 439 named db that is 100% identical to 433 db. Image dir move from / to /433 not copy. If your server is powerful you may copy if you like.

Now run upgrade on /433

after all done move / root to /backup and /433 to root /

Why wouldn't you upgrade instead of store_import? It's a much kinder approach for an existing store.

The store_import is really for new development (new design/layout) to be populated with data from another store. But there are several things it doesn't do well and there are several things that it re-does that can cause problems (I.e. changes image_id's, thumbnails, etc.).

I was surprised that a store_import of 4.3.9 from 2.2.5 actually worked on a client of mine that has 225K products and over 500K images. It took over 3hrs to complete, but it completed without error. Make sure you do NOT have 'DEVELOPMENT' defined or the DEBUG active. These suck down too much memory. A previous client with very few products but 30K customers failed when using the 4.3.6 version of store_import.

Maybe the 'upgrade' path may be more straight forward.

oops !!

I guess not...

Upgrading a store is a complicated process, so upgrade the test copy of your store first to make sure the upgrade will go smoothly.

The upgrade doesn’t update third-party add-ons. That’s why we recommend that you disable all the third-party add-ons before the upgrade.

Thank you Darius but I am deathly afraid of making my current cart unusable mainly

because it's my wife who uses it. Dead site = dead me...lol

Hire someone to do it for you then or don't for now. I am post poneing upgrade from 437 till 441 is out..

Thank you Darius but I am deathly afraid of making my current cart unusable mainly

because it's my wife who uses it. Dead site = dead me...lol

I am currently using 4.3.3 and have 4.3.9 installed in a folder but I am not sure 'which' version of Store Import I should download. Does the version refer to the version I am importing from or to ?

whichstoreimportversion.png

I am currently using 4.3.3 and have 4.3.9 installed in a folder but I am not sure 'which' version of Store Import I should download. Does the version refer to the version I am importing from or to ?

If you are importing to 4.3.9 you should select version 2.1.1.

Thank you very much guys. Of later I have been investigating all many of alternatives to CS-Cart

because my 4.3.3 was behaving badly ( most likely a hosting problem ).

To top it off I accidentally deleted a category and my wife nearly killed me.

The host restored my whole installation and I lost all my order data.

After looking everywhere ( shopify, BigCommerce, Neto and many others ) I found that

CS-Cart is the most feature rich cart around so I am going to try 4.3.9 again.

I hope store import works this time.

Fingers crossed.

It was mentioned earlier that DEVELOPMENT mode can slow things up.

In the cofig.local.php I found:-

// Enable DEV mode if Product status is not empty (like Beta1, dev, etc.)

if (PRODUCT_STATUS != '' && !defined('DEVELOPMENT')) {
ini_set('display_errors', 'on');
ini_set('display_startup_errors', true);

define('DEVELOPMENT', true);

// Log everything, but do not display
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

Should I set true to false

before I run the Store Import ???

It was mentioned earlier that DEVELOPMENT mode can slow things up.
In the cofig.local.php I found:-

// Enable DEV mode if Product status is not empty (like Beta1, dev, etc.)
if (PRODUCT_STATUS != '' && !defined('DEVELOPMENT')) {
ini_set('display_errors', 'on');
ini_set('display_startup_errors', true);

// Log everything, but do not display
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

Should I set true to false
before I run the Store Import ???

The system everywhere checks if this constant is defined. It does not check what value is stored (true or false)

I will leave it alone then. It's probably not the reason that store import failed before.

You can use any version of store_import that is greater than or equal to the version you are importing TO.

I will leave it alone then. It's probably not the reason that store import failed before.

DEVELOPMENT mode is not really the issue. It is DEBUG that uses a lot of memory to track what's happening and can cause store_imports to fail (or take forever to complete). DEVELOPMENT mode shouldn't matter but if you're not a developer, why would you have this turned on anyway?

Thank you very much guys. Of later I have been investigating all many of alternatives to CS-Cart

because my 4.3.3 was behaving badly ( most likely a hosting problem ).

To top it off I accidentally deleted a category and my wife nearly killed me.

The host restored my whole installation and I lost all my order data.

After looking everywhere ( shopify, BigCommerce, Neto and many others ) I found that

CS-Cart is the most feature rich cart around so I am going to try 4.3.9 again.

I hope store import works this time.

Fingers crossed.

I would strongly suggest you use the "upgrade" method to upgrade your store. Store import is mostly for developers to synchronize a new storefront with an old storefront at the DATA level. The upgrade will handle all the front end and schema changes as well as migrate any data.

There is no reason to disable addons for an upgrade. The vast majority of addons will be perfectly safe (they may need an upgrade to be completely functional, you should check with the developer), but they will generally be unaffected by the upgrade. If you have done modification to core files (versus using an addon) then you will have issues with either an upgrade or a store import.

The upgrade can be "reverted" back to whatever the last stable version was.

However, as mentioned above, any upgrade, development, store_import, or any other significant modification to your store should be done on a test copy first and then have those changes verified before applying the exact same process to your production site.

'Test copy' seems the way to go then as I don't hold up much hope for the store import working . Thank you.
I assume that I can simply 'copy' my current site into a new folder and adjust the config.local.php file.