Changing Main Category Of Products = Seo Problems

So when I change the main category on a product the url is changed because the new category changes the subfolder from the old one. Example: mysite.com/old-category/product.html changes to mysite.com/new-category/product.html I am wanting to go in and change the main category on about 10,000 products but this is really going to mess things up from a SEO point of view. Is there any add-ons that automatically create the re-write for the category changes?

I would really like to move all the products into more relevant categories (for a more user friendly site/breadcrumbs) but I think it's going to cause more problems than it's worth.

I have checked this behavior on the demo server and 301 redirect was created by the system automatically:

Clip2Net — screen capture tool for Windows, Android, iPad, Mac, Linux

Please check

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1440147745' post='227448']

I have checked this behavior on the demo server and 301 redirect was created by the system automatically:

[url=“Clip2Net — screen capture tool for Windows, Android, iPad, Mac, Linux”]Clip2Net — screen capture tool for Windows, Android, iPad, Mac, Linux

Please check

[/quote]

Well that's good to know. I did check and it did re-write the url correctly. But it isn't showing up right away. This could have something to do with my mystery issue at http://forum.cs-cart…__fromsearch__1

This is what happens currently when you go to the old link…Example: http://fastdecals.com/shop/flag-decals/confederate-flag-decal-sticker-en.html

It is hard to say anything without detailed examination. If you have any 3rd party addons installed, try to temporary disable them and check the result

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1440404301' post='227639']

It is hard to say anything without detailed examination. If you have any 3rd party addons installed, try to temporary disable them and check the result

[/quote]It ended up being an issue with with a mod that was custom developed for me where I have a short url for search terms mysite.com/shop/search-term will show results for said search term. I thought that may be the issue since it wasn't giving me a 404 page but a search results page. Techs fixed the issue and is working properly now.

Thank you for letting us know it