New Products Not Showing In Categories

Okay, I have never seen this before today. Added some new products to the site for a customer and went to the category they are in but they are not to be found. Tried refreshing the page and clearing the cache with no luck. The products show on my home page under newest products and will pull up in a search. But will not show up under any of the categories I have the items listed under.

Well an hour later they started showing up. Not sure why the delay as I could always just refresh the page in the past and they would be there.

Are you using some kind of related addons?

[quote name='cscartrocks' timestamp='1438742215' post='225654']

Are you using some kind of related addons?

[/quote]

Not that I am aware of. The products I added yesterday showed up in the categories right after I added them. But today for some reason there was the delay. I haven't done anything different that I know of.

Is the theme you are using running in widget mode?

Are you using a CDN? If so, then changes can be delayed while all these things synchronize.

Now, when we do development for people we ask them to turn off their CDN since we're so tired of making changes, verifying that they are in the cache but not able to see the changes in the browser. CDN should be smarter than it is and changes should be pushed through immediately. However, most cheap CDN uses a “pull” technology rather than a “push” so your update speed is a function of the CDN.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1438819595' post='225813']

Is the theme you are using running in widget mode?

Are you using a CDN? If so, then changes can be delayed while all these things synchronize.

Now, when we do development for people we ask them to turn off their CDN since we're so tired of making changes, verifying that they are in the cache but not able to see the changes in the browser. CDN should be smarter than it is and changes should be pushed through immediately. However, most cheap CDN uses a “pull” technology rather than a “push” so your update speed is a function of the CDN.

[/quote]

Well if I am not aware of either of these being used. I know I didn't change anything…just odd it worked like normal the day before (and for the last 5 years). I am constantly adding new designs to my site for per customer request. So after the products are added I go to the category the new products are in and share that link to them. Now that isn't an option.

If it's a new category, you might try clearing the cache when you're done updating products. However, if the category already exists, all the products in it should be available dynamically unless somehow they've now caching the category products in V4.3

I thought is may have been because I changed the product to a different main category but it seems that even if I leave it in the same category I'm still having the problem So odd that it just started the other day randomly.

This is still happening and it's really odd. Added some products to the site 12 hours ago and still not showing up in the main category. And I just checked some products I added a few days ago and they still aren't showing up in the main category. Shows up in recent products just fine. Even tried a different browser just to make sure FF wasn't doing something funny.

Well I have at least narrowed it down to something to do with redirects (I think). It seems the problem occurs when I am creating a new product by cloning an old product and then move the new product to a new category. This causes a delay with the re-direct it creates. Not sure why as sometimes the redirect works instantly while other times it takes days for it to kick in.

EDIT: I thought this was the problem/fix but it must've been coincidental. Because now, even if I am keeping the product in the same category after the clone the problem still persists.

7 months later and I am STILL having problems with this. I added some products to the site last month and noticed today they still aren't showing up if I browse under that main category they are supposed to be in. If I search for them they show up and when I click on them my breadcrumbs and the SEO url shows they are in the correct category but they don't show up when you browse directly to that category.

Example: If you go directly to my Star Wars category at http://fastdecals.com/shop/comic-cartoon-decals/star-wars-decals/There is just one Boba Fett decal listed first. But if you search for the term "Boba" it will pull up 3 other designs. Clicking on any of those designs will show the product is in the main star wars category if looking at breadcrumbs or the url but once you try and go to that category they disappear again.

Anyone know what is causing this or how I can fix it?

Not to state the obvious, but have you verified the status of those products to ensure they are not "Hidden". That would allow them to be seen if directly referenced, but would not be seen in listings.

Not to state the obvious, but have you verified the status of those products to ensure they are not "Hidden". That would allow them to be seen if directly referenced, but would not be seen in listings.

Well I have been known to occasionally do something dumb like that but this is not the case. These products show up in search and on the main page under my newest product block so they can't be hidden (plus they are active). And it is really odd that only some items are this way. I just went through and added about 25 more products last night to that category and none are showing up unless you search for them.

It's just really odd that some items I add in some categories show up instantly. But in others they don't show up even months later. I've even tried changing the main category the item is in but this doesn't change anything.

(edit: see last paragraph before reading too much into the next two paragraphs) One thing I have noticed that is odd is the bread crumb doesn't show it in the right category. For example it shows it as being in the parent category, not in the subcategory below it that it should be in. The SEO url shows that it is in the correct subcategory so not sure why it isn't actually showing up within that sub-category.

Actual example of what I am seeing can be found at http://fastdecals.com/shop/comic-cartoon-decals/star-wars-decals/boba-fett-decal-sticker-02.html You will notice that url shows it should be in the /star-wars-decals/ category (since I don't have the option to change that part of the url in the SEO section) but for whatever reason it isn't in there. And the breadcrumbs show that since it wants to take you to the parent category instead. You can see this product in that parent category but not in the sub that I have it placed in as the main category. Really odd. Wreaking havoc on SEO since these items aren't showing up in categories they should be in.

Even MORE odd is after I typed the last two paragraphs I did some testing. I went into that product, deleted the parent category to see where it would be put it. Then the breadcrumbs started showing the proper location and even for other items (I didn't delete the parent category). But they still aren't showing up under the category they should.

Would have to explore this to get my head around what you're stating.

How are you importing these products?

Why are you importing them into both a parent (something higher in the tree) and a leaf-node category?

Not clear if you're putting product 'xyz' into Category A and A/B.

Have you tried clearing your cache manually? Manytimes when a cache is very large, it won't clear properly from the admin and the admin doesn't report any errors like (can't remove directory X not empty).

Well...FINALLY figured it out with your mention of manually clearing the cache. I know mine should be rather large since I have 11,000 products and I am always adding and changing things. So usually when I CC it takes several seconds of loading. I noticed recently when I used the clear cache link I had stored in my "quick menu" it would just instantly take me to another page in the backend. Double checked that link and it wasn't a link to clear the cache anymore. Something must've gotten stripped from the link (I remember a lot of that quick menu had changed when I upgraded to 4.3 last year). Anyway, just did the manual way of clearing cache in the menu system and that fixed it.

I knew I was doing that but with the link being wrong it was doing what needed to be done. I still don't understand why some products were appearing properly while others weren't but at least it's working now.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious (that was hidden for me) since it got me thinking.

We all stumble over obvious things sometimes.... Glad it's working for you now.